Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What shimano front mech sticks out the least at the back?
  • austin
    Free Member

The 9 speed LX front mech on my Surly Crosscheck hits the rear mudguard when I try to shift into the middle or granny ring. The mech is a one-size-fits all one and uses an adaptor to fit the 28.6mm downtube which makes it stick out a bit more than necessary but I’m not sure if even a 28.6mm specific mech would have enough clearance. Are road mechs less sticky-outy at the back?

wwaswas

how much extra room do you need? Would an extra spacer on the BB move the inner ring out far enough for mech clearance?

ohtrace
    Free Member

How abut changing the mudguard? Would be the cheaper and easier option.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Move/trim the mudguard?

On my tourer the guard is held away from the seatube by a trimmed down wine cork.

emanuel
    Free Member

slx 2×9 one is shorter.
    I did file a notch into a mudguard on one bike,something was rubbing.
    was a folder though.

austin
    Free Member

Thanks – don’t really want to trim the mudgaurd as it’s a poncey Japanese one: http://www.jitensha.com/eng/newhammerfndrs_e.html. I’ve already moved it as far back as I can with a cunning heath robinson set up of lots of washers.

It needs a lot of extra clearance – a spacer on the BB wouldn’t do it.

Maybe 1 x 9 instead . . .

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt any mech will clear it any better TBH – I’d get std mudguard, compromise gears…

OMG I’ve just looked at the mudguards, the above may not make any sense to you.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

if you won’t hack away at the guard (and really, i don’t blame you!) then can you do something with the mech? cut it shorter and bend it round so it’s still a closed loop? though i imagine this could be a major stress!

austin
    Free Member

I’ve not exlained this very well. It’s not the cage of the mech which is catching the guard, it’s the bit where the cable pulls the mech across, behind the seat tube.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

oh! sorry. in that case, i got nothing 🙁

emanuel
    Free Member

road mechs stick out a lot less.on your mtb one you can cut out the tab that allows bottom routing though.
    I’ve got some of those poncey mudguards.never again!
    did you use leather washers?
    what you really need is a 1950s front der.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What shimano front mech sticks out the least at the back?’ is closed to new replies.