Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What Sheffield pub-crawl?
  • TheFlyingOx

It feels very weird asking this, what with being born and raised in Sheffield, but…

Got a work shift weekend away coming up in March, and Sheffield was the location pulled out of the hat. Moved away in 2005, last time I was out in on the lash in town was maybe 8 years ago, and having visited family this Christmas I’ve realised it’s a completely different city to the one I left.

We arrive on the Friday afternoon, so I was thinking of just kicking about West St and the Devonshire Quarter while everyone gets sorted and then Saturday down Eccy Road, probably end up at the Leadmill at least once, but I have no idea if these are still the places to be.

Any suggestions that might be better than the above?

frankconway

Kelham Island Tavern and The Black Cat – both at Kelham Island; get the tram to Shalesmoor – it’s 5 minutes from city centre.

davros

I’d advise visiting the tap at the train station, the Rutland arms and the beer engine. There’s a new place nearby those called sential which is apparently decent. Wrong direction for kelham island though… i won’t suggest anywhere on west street or division street as i rarely drink there.

Have fun!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pook

All covered.

Thread closed.

PMK2060

The tap is a good pub if you are real ale drinkers. Leopold square has a few decent bars with a good atmosphere. If you like northern soul, sticky floors and the older clientele get down to Maggie Mays

Digby

I don’t think the Tap at the Midland Station is as good as it was when it first opened. It seems to have lost some of its charm and become a bit ‘blokey’ on the last few occasions I’ve been in recently.

The Kelham Island area is a good call if you like hoppy beer etc:

The Fat Cat (rather than Black Cat??), Kelham Island Tavern, The Ship and The Milestone are all worth a visit.

I’d avoid most of the pubs and bars on West Street unless you are either a student or the kind of older bloke that likes standing in groups staring at female students … 🙁

The Devonshire Quarter – i.e. Devonshire Street/Green is a bit more mixed but probably hasn’t changed that much in the past 8 years. There’s a ‘Brew Dog’ opened fairly recently that might appeal depending on your tastes; the Washington (due to ‘re-open/rebirth’ very soon); The Devonshire Cat (owned by Kelham Island Brewery mentioned ^^) and The Green Room. They are all pretty busy at the weekend.

Nightclub wise things have gone a bit more quiet in recent years as many of the pubs and bars have late licences. The Leadmill has its Saturday night ‘Sonic’ with DJ Adam Morley – who has been DJing the Saturday nights for 20+ years and The Corporation (Devonshire Green) has its ‘Drop’ alternative Friday night

IHN

Ah, memories…

When I were a student in Sheffield in the late 90’s, we used to go Springvale Beer Engine, Hallamshire House, Closed Shop, Princess Royal, Heavygate Inn, and repeat until the Tajak beckoned. The we’d go back to the Princess Royal for a lock-in.

Happy days 🙂

TheFlyingOx

the kind of older bloke that likes standing in groups staring at female students

It’s a mixed bunch, but you’ve described a couple of the lads to a tee there…

frankconway

@digby – yes, fat cat next to the brewery.

Digby

Springvale Beer Engine, Hallamshire House, Closed Shop, Princess Royal, Heavygate Inn

Suprisingly, given the rate of pub closures, all of them apart from the Heavygate Inn are still open … the Heavygate Inn is now flats!

@frankconway – thought so … but these days pubs open & close with such alarming regularity I wasn’t 100% sure …

docrobster
    Free Member

All the above plus
    Ship inn
    Shakespeare at shalesmoor (Gibraltar street)
    Bar stewards opposite it if it’s open (currently only 1 weekend a month)
    Itchy pig in Broomhill not usually full of students
    Heeley for the brothers arms the tram shed the broadfield
    Abbeydale social club
    -all this is assuming you like proper beer etc
    Lager/cocktails just go to Leopold square

slowoldman

I remember a pub crawl from the halls of residence in Ranmoor all the way down to the Poly visiting every pub on the way. They’ve probably all been knocked down now.

I don’t think the Tap at the Midland Station is as good as it was when it first opened.

Though if you are arriving by train it would be rude not to.

cyclelife
    Free Member

New Barracks Tavern – a favourite of Mr Peat’s. The Riverside if you’re on kelham island.

mugsys_m8

IHN. Do I know you?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What Sheffield pub-crawl?’ is closed to new replies.