Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • what security light ? LED energy efficient ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

need a new security light for the front of the garage.

current one gets triggered by all and sundry and has no adjusters for sensitivity on. (came with house and i switch it off by covering sensor with a sock in high wind.)

The current wind and rain has broken it so would like to replace it.

lots out there – are the current crop of LED energy efficients any good ?

footflaps

Interested too, need one for the workshop.

RustyMac

I was looking into this for my mum over the hoidays, similar problem of a flood light being triggered by the wind and the neighbours cats and dog so we are now thinking about an outside light that accepts GU10 bulbs on a daylight sensor.

Her light is outside the backdoor with a switch in the kitchen so we figured that she can switch it on before she go to work and if it is dark the light will come on and then when she is home from work the light will be on if required and she can switch it off when she makes dinner.

I figure a couple of 5W led GU10 Bulbs will be way more efficient than the flood light and should provide enough light to navigate the three steps and path down to the car when it is dark.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I bought a 30W LED one for our garden to replace the knackered 500W halogen one that was up there.

Colour temperature is atrocious technically its “daylight”, but it’s more like purple. Fine for washing bikes in, but you wouldn’t want to try and have a BBQ by it.

It’s certainly bright, however the beam angle is stupidly wide (150° mebbe?). Mine is about 15′ up the wall (good reason for this), but the end result is that only maybe 25% of the light is hitting my property. The rest is going into the neighbours gardens, the house opposite, and even the street beyond them!

If you can mount one fairly low, and don’t mine the nasty light colour, then they do what they say on the tin,

nellyp
    Free Member

I’ve been fitting these recently

http://www.jcc.co.uk/mistral-led-mains-ip44-cast-alu-floodlight-pir-integral-led-15w-4700k-silver.html

About £50 but great build quality and best of all no phone calls about lamps blowing constantly!

trail_rat
    Free Member

tempted to fit a light and put an AUX sensor low to the ground so passing cars/tractors dont trigger it as the current sensor encompasses the road no matter where i point it if i want the light to come on when im infront of the garage 🙁

glupton1976
    Free Member

Why not just experiment with bits of insulating tape and blank off the bits that are picking up the road?

Rio

We’ve had one for about 5 years at the front of the house, got fed up of the previous halogen one blowing bulbs and using a lot of electricity to light up cats. The LED one used to work ok but although the LEDs themselves will supposedly last for 25 years and are still going strong the PIR sensor is no better than they’ve ever been and is now starting to get unresponsive. Given the cost if I was doing it again I’d consider a separate LED light and PIR.

trail_rat
    Free Member

glupton – because mines no longer works….due to spackered PIR 😀

rio has answered my question with experiance and i think thats the way ill go.

footflaps

I’ve been fitting these recently

http://www.jcc.co.uk/mistral-led-mains-ip44-cast-alu-floodlight-pir-integral-led-15w-4700k-silver.html

About £50 but great build quality and best of all no phone calls about lamps blowing constantly!

Cheers, might try that one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘what security light ? LED energy efficient ?’ is closed to new replies.