Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What seatposts do people use?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Im in the process of getting a new seatpost, it will be going on a steel HT and have a 31.6 diameter.

I read somwhere that the width makes some posts too harsh in a steel frame.

What do you who have a 31.6 seatpost use?

Should i look at carbon?

zangolin
    Free Member

Thomson on all bikes – except my BMX

4ndyB
    Free Member

Thomson Elite or Syntace P6 Aluminium

elaineanne
    Free Member

my hardtail was 31.6 but my full suss seatpost is 27.2 and im now using a brand new 'Ragley' seatpost…
    theres alot of seatposts out there …have a gud look around !

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

apparently the Thomson is a really harsh ride at that diameter on a steel frame. Well that's what i just read anyway by the frame i wants designer.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ive got a Ritchey V2 WCS at the moment but its a different post size so need a new one.

I just found a Ritchey pro carbon on ebay and wondered if it would soften the ride.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

A 31.6mm alloy post is going to be pretty harsh full stop. Carbon less so…

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Thompson for me.If it's to harsh a ride eat some more burgers.Jobs a good 'un 😆

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

right well i best try and find a carbon seatpost for less than £50 ha i guess im dreaming right?

MrGreedy

I have a Thomson on everything except the unicycle 😉

Alu hardtail has a 30.9 if I remember rightly, can't say I found it that harsh, but then it probably depends on saddle, rear wheel setup, tyre choice etc. etc. Can't see why a steel frame would be any harsher?

mboy
    Free Member

Use Thomson excluively cos I can't bend or break them. They're harsh and unforgiving yes, especially so if bigger than 27.2, but i'd rather that than a broken post!

Guessing if it's a steel hardtail that needs a 31.6 it's either a Cotic BFe or an Evil Sovereign. In which case, either of them is designed for throwing off stuff, not all day comfort, so just get a Thomson!

And a saddle with some flex in the rails if needs be…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Thomson on the 3 MTBs.
    DeRosa Carbon on the ( Summer) Road Bike
    USE Sumo on the Winter Road Bike, and the CX..

scaredypants

get a thinner post and a shim ?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

most boring thread ever

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Cheers Paul for the most boring post ever!

saleem
    Free Member

I'm selling a 31.6 pro carbon post if you want one.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Saleem how much? Condition?

saleem
    Free Member

£35 very good nic, send me an email and I'll send you some pics

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Saleem you got mail mate

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Use control tech on most my bikes , nicely machined and a bit cheaper than thomson 😀
    I have a 31.6 control tech team issue going spare if interested ?
    350 mm long
    email in profile if interested ?
    cheers

neninja
    Free Member

Thomson on mtb
    Spec S-works on road bike

mamadirt
    Free Member

I've used a Raceface Diabolus previously (hideously expensive but looks good despite the fact that all but 3" of it is hidden inside my frame 🙄 ) but currently using a cheapo 30mm off ebay with a milk carton shim. 31.6 sounds massive for a steel frame – what frame is it?

househusband
    Free Member

Thomson; the anodising is way better than everyone else's – have a ControlTech one that wore in no time at all. If you shop around Thomson are only a few quid more.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Been using a Thompson on my trail FS and a Easton carbon on my XC bike.The current XC bike is a FS so the post is 30.9.When i was running my De-kerf hardtail it was 27.2.Would still use a Easton carbon on any hardtail (unless i was dropping the post a lot!).May be a USE titanium with a shim would provide more comfort?
    Thanx Max

Reluctant
    Free Member

Race Face carbon on mine, softer feel than the RF aluminium one it replaced.
    If you want cushty, like someone up there ^^ said, shim it and use a smaller diametre post. Back in the day, the 25mm USE post flexed like crazy, but was very forgiving – especially with a Flite on top!

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Joplin for fun days, thomson for when i don't need to drop the seat as much

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I've used a 31.6mm Thomson on a steel frame and it was fine- but it was a 16" frame with a lot of post showing. Now run Race Face Deus on all bikes shimmed to 27.2mm and it's not noticeably more comfy.

timdrayton
    Free Member

this would be nice titanium and cheap £40ish

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Only-Ti-UltraLight-Titanium-Seatpost-31-6-178g-All-Sz-/270583375215?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0006a56f

minbe arrived a week ago, I'm chuffed!

postage took an age (6 weeks) "its the volcanic ash plume cloud mr timdrayton sir, thankyou friend"

but its a nice post, looks very well made, and is very light too

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

right well i best try and find a carbon seatpost for less than £50 ha i guess im dreaming right?

eXotic Carbon Matrix II Seatpost 31.6 x 300 CrMo Bolts £36.49+£3.49p+p

_tom_
    Free Member

Thomson's the only one I haven't bent so far. Combination of being heavy, narrrow post + using a small frame means they tend to bend rather easily.

Kato

Thomson

although one of my bikes still has an old Raceface XY which is excellent

saleem
    Free Member

Where is selling the exotic posts please

Fletcher
    Free Member

Thomson seatpost on two of my XC MTB's

ashfanman
    Free Member

Here you go Saleem: Carbon Cycles

saleem
    Free Member

Thanks, might get one if I can't find a second hand easton ec-70/90

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

eXotic are also on eBay. Good reputation……make stuff for other companies to market.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What seatposts do people use?’ is closed to new replies.