Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What sealant does not mess up Kenda tyres
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Is it true that stans sealant **** up kenda tyres?

Bregante

somebody answer him quickly. One bottle of Stans and two Nevegals about to come together tomorrow morning at my house!!! 😯

sheldona
    Free Member

gone and fecked 2 tyres with Stans been using Bontreager super juice for 18 months with no issues before pouring in Stans!

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

Why would any sealent **** up tyres?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

badgeroo – dunno, but I looked at some nevegals and blue groove tyres today at a bike shop and both tyres had warnings on stating not to use them with sealant.

sheldona
    Free Member

Why would any sealent **** up tyres?

Because this happens

njee20
    Free Member

Woah! Not heard of that before. Weird!

sheldona
    Free Member

Stans destroys the structure of the tyre making it bulge out.

DaveGr
    Free Member

used JRA milk with no effect on the tyres but a couple of times recently it's coagulated after being put in so forming a blob inside the tyre 😳

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

JRA seems OK. It does dry out so top it up ever couple of months.

Bregante

glad i struggled to seat them yesterday now. Will have to invest in some High rollers (or does Stans turn em pink or something?)

geordiepaul
    Free Member

How on earth does Stans do that to a tyre?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think the theory is that the amonia used to keep the latex liquid inside the tyre can damage the rubber. However, Stan's say that the problem is when the tyre layers haven't been laid up properly and the sealant and air pressure makes its way between the layers. They claim the amonia content isn't enough to cause that. I've set up Stan's on a few pairs of specialized and a few Maxxis and I've never seen that effect first hand.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Stans trashed a Maxxis High Roller LUST of mine recently. The tyre developed several large bubbles on the tread that distorted the tyre badly. This was over the course of a 2 hr ride.

Pieface

Inner tubes?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I didn't have a problem with Stans in my Kenda (surprise) nevegrals (or whatever) dual compound whatsits.

I did slice the sidewall open at the DH at Innerleithen though, spewing fluid all over the place which kind of spoiled my fun.

Side walls are weak, (as I later was told but found out all by myself)

As another word of caution though, I changed my tyres to High rollers for a trip to Morzine this year and changed them back last week and was very surprised as to what I found!

New fluid in June (into the High Rollers), looked like an irregular rubber ball in August! I doubt it would have sealed anything.

I'm now a convert back to tubes from going ghetto tubeless last year.

specializedneeds

The SWS (Side Wall Shield) on my Nevegals seems to be effective so far, no sliced sidewalls since I swapped to them after slicing both High Rollers at the same time in Afan. That was a hairy and messy descent!

I'm also using Stan's in them without problems so far…..hoping that I'll wear them out before Stan's has a chance, ride more I say!

Bregante

James. precisely which Nevegals have you got. I really dont want to **** mine up but don't want the expense of buying different sealant / different tyres either and am tempted to give it a go

andyeez
    Free Member

I am using stans with a pair of sws nevegals (non-tubeless on tubeless rims) and have been for about 6 months with no problems so far…

specializedneeds

My Nevegals are 2.1 DTC SWS with a folding bead

Stan's Arch with a Stan's rim strip at the back and 717 with an Eclipse rim strip at the front.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Has anyone ever heard of this happening to any UST specific tyre? I believe they're laid up slightly differently with, obviously, a better seal inside the tyre.

sheldona
    Free Member

Onzadog, see my pic above? That was a ust tyre!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'm just fitting a pair of ADvantage UST tyres and was about to put Stan's in them. Now I'm a little scared as the tyres are as rare as rocking horse poop.

Daffy

My UST Nevegal and Blue Grove aint done that and I AM using stans.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Yeah I had UST Nevegals and never had any problem, they were still sh**e though.

Spesh Eskar 2Bliss all the way, cheap as chips too!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What sealant does not mess up Kenda tyres’ is closed to new replies.