Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What scooter for a wee'un?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

My daughter (16 months, fairly small for her age and only been walking a few weeks) is desperate for a scooter.

Obviously she’s not ready really, but she puts one foot in her pusher trolley and tries to scoot along, and is trying to pick up other kids scooters in the park. Basically it’s a case of seeing the big kids do it and DADDY, WANT! And hey if she wants to ride I’m with her on that, her mum and I both love our bikes.

Has anyone got a scooter for a teeny tot? What worked? It doesn’t matter if she can’t do it properly, as long as she can try, topple, and start teaching herself as she grows into it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

This one – the wheels turn when they lean rather than having to steer – it’s more natural to kiddies at that age. Expensive but by far the best one really.

Our two started using them at about 2 yrs old and are demons on them now – one foot balancing etc (just turned 3)

Just don’t try using it yourself (ahem) 🙁

mattjg
    Free Member

Thx, I’ll take a look.

I promise not to try for myself (ahem).

rewski
    Free Member

Those mini micros are great, decent bearings and wheels, very well made and most parts available, my youngest lad went through a few brakes.

BigJohn

My grandson is coming up to 2 1/2 and we just got him a Razor scooter for a fiver in a charity shop. He flippin loves it because it’s what the big boys use. He’s getting pretty good on it (even though it weighs a ton) and I think he prefers it to his balance bike.

freddyg
    Free Member

+1 for both suggestions above.

Mini micro is great for little-uns. They’ll be zipping about at a fair rate of knots in no time. We bought a Razor for our eldest (aged 4 at the time) and he still loves it (he’s 6.5 now). Very robust and cheap as chips.

mattjg
    Free Member

What’s the consensus on helmets chaps?

(Getting mine to wear even a hat is purgatory).

freddyg
    Free Member

Originally, I didn’t bother. However, having witnessed young MasterG hit the corner of a brick wall with his face, it is now compulsory.

He’s had a fair number of falls since and has bumped his lid – I’ve replaced one, but reckon it won’t be long before I need to replace his current one too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Little Miss MF #1 face planted on her scooter recently – if it wasn’t for the helmet she’d have smacked her face quite badly so I say yes.

Ohh and I simply won’t let them use the scooters without helmets – they soon realise that their paddy will get them nowhere and they put them on. They don’t even fuss about it now – the helmets are accepted rules.

mattjg
    Free Member

OK thx. Her mum and I wear our helmets on our bikes so it’s not a case of “you have to but we don’t”. Start on the right track I think.

mattjg
    Free Member

A mini-micro is on its way, including the shorter bars with seat option tho I think she’ll reject that as being for babies.

Watch this space.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What scooter for a wee'un?’ is closed to new replies.