Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What saddle bag for 'gravel' bike?
  • mattbee

I’ve got a Lezyne saddle bag atm that holds a co2 cartridge & inflator thingy, spare tube, tyre levers & tiny multi tool but it’s a bit too big & flappy.
    Anyone got any recommendations for one to carry the above that doesn’t swing about and annoy?

dknwhy

I use one of the ortlieb ones for spares and an Alpkit fuel pod for phone, keys and wallet.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

http://www.weecog.co.uk bags look good.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

With just a few things to carry like that I normally just take a small, regular expandable seat-pack (wedge shaped). I find basic ones that can be fixed and compressed by velcro straps to be the least swingy and the least rattle-y. Something like this:

Top tip: stuff (optionally oily) rag in there too, to fix and muffle potential rattles as much as be useful when making trailside repairs or adjustments.

jonba
    Free Member

Arkel one, pricey but very good. Used mine on 2 3pks races.

tang
    Free Member

Arundel – cheap, neat but not waterproof.

iainc

Arkel looks ideal, but pricey with shipping…

JoB
    Free Member

i have the smaller Lezyne saddle-bag that seems to do ok for that kind of thing

but that’s on my CX bike, you’d have to check to see if it fits a gravel bike

mattbee

It’s more of a ‘compacted chalk and recycled concrete’ bike than a gravel bike if I’m totally honest! 😉
    The Decathlon one looks quite good, need to get over there in any case.
    Ta for all the suggestions.

lunge

Cheap little Decathlon one here. It’s small and uses velco so can be tightened up to stop rattling.

aP
    Free Member

Arkel have a UK shop now. I’ve got their seat packs on most of my bikes – bought the packs in 2007, still going strong.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Cheap decathlon ones on a number of bikes here.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Got a medium lezyne micro caddy :

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micro-caddy-saddle-bag-medium/

fairly good and solid – attaches to the saddle rails but not the seatpost – bigger ones do, but this one doesn’t wear the post.

Has a pocket underneath that fits a toppeak mini pro

and side compartments for a puncture repair kit and tyre levers/superglue/etc. Enough room for one tube, some tyre boots at the back, and some other bits stuffed in, and my keys.

jimdubleyou

I use a Pro storage bottle. Fits a tube, pump levers and multitool with no dramas.

http://www.pro-bikegear.com/en-gb/catalogue/accessories/94/bottles-and-cages/pr100330_main/storage-bottle

mattbee

I went to Decathlon in S’oton to grab one & it’s ended up costing me a fortune in other stuff!

senorj

I have a topeak one which fits two tubes, two gas ,patches,tool,chain links etc.
    To prevent them flapping,wrap the straps around the saddle rail twice(like a snake on a tree) to shorten it…..

jonba
    Free Member

Arkel are pricey but offroad mine has lasted 3 years. Normally only get 12 months out of other makes. So reliability and longevity worth it for me.

iainc

Have been looking for something a bit bigger than lezyne road caddy, so just ordered one of those Arkel ones 😀

mattsccm
    Free Member

The smallest one that carries whatever junk you like to cart around. Straps are better than clips. Even the best zips leak and don’t like being opened when coveted in grit. I generally used Specialized or To peak or Lezyne. None last more than a couplevof years. Tatty ones scronged from the bins of Trent mates work the best.

john_l
    Free Member

Do gravel bikes need special saddle bags now? 🙂

tenfoot

I have a smaller Topeak type saddlebag for keys and tyre levers, and carry my pump and spare tube in a water bottle mounted in a bottle rack on the seat tube bottle mounts.
    Works for me.

mattbee

Hell yeah. Slightly less aero than a road saddle bag but not as chunky as a mountain bike one. A CX one would be more mud proof and a touring one would be far bigger. 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

These are quite good for the price. Won’t mark your seat post, bit bigger than the smallest Arundel, doesn’t tear in half like the Lezyne one’s do (although it looks like they’ve changed their design).

http://www.zefal.com/en/rear-bags/308-z-light-pack-xs.html

wiggles
    Free Member

The topeak ones with the QR seatrail clamps are good as a bit more stable than Velcro.

iainc

Ordered an Arkel on back of this thread ! Impressed with it, really like the removable dry bag idea.

P20

Another ortlieb here. No zips to die an early death due to mud and water being fired at it.

allfankledup

Topeak wedge dry bag – good piece of kit

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve got a largish leyzyne one which was a bit swingy when full. A Velcro strap through the seat rails and round it makes it very solid. Loads available online for a couple of quid

trademark
    Free Member

I scrunch one of these into my large saddle bag to stop any rattling.

Image wasn’t meant to be that big …

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What saddle bag for 'gravel' bike?’ is closed to new replies.