Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What runners think about.
  • wwaswas

Turns out it’s mostly how miserable it is to be running.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/what-we-think-about-when-we-run

skaifan
    Free Member

Sounds like road cyclists.

surfer
    Free Member

What do cyclists think about then they are cycling? Probably the same thing but probably for longer.
    As somebody who enjoys the pain of physical exertion it is only some of the time that I am aware of “discomfort” and a sense of “effort” most of the time I am running within my ability and their is only a small amount of real effort.
    Much of this guff is written about studies of occasional or less well trained runners to whom it is a chore or something that has to be endured to either lose weight/get fit for something they have committed to.
    As a racer (albeit a slow one now) I would still run most days if I never raced again.
    I spend part of every day thinking about my run later in the day. Most sports appear boring or unfathomable to those that dont enjoy them, thats not really news.

fasthaggis

Sorry,test sample numbers too small.
    This does not compare to my feelings on running.
    More data required.

jimdubleyou

Certainly not “I wonder if there is a cyclist filtering past this traffic” if the two that jumped out in front of me this morning are anything to go by.

wwaswas

I think people should read the whole article not just the abstract 🙂

Spin
    Free Member

Sex mostly.

fasthaggis

I think people should read the whole article not just the abstract

Don’t be silly,it’s merican,you only need the abstract 😛

willard

Training runs – as little as possible, or just mentally turning over problems from the day in my head.

Races – “go faster, keep running”

surfer
    Free Member

I think people should read the whole article not just the abstract

I did and you were wrong.

Kuco

I think about loads of things when I run but never how miserable it is to run. The day I do that i’ll stop running.

Caher

Just been for a run and all i thought about was a cup of tea.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

All the runners I’ve ever come across appear to be thinking “he can move out of my way, I’m not stopping or deviating from this path”

theflatboy
    Free Member

^^^ to be fair, that is a calculated approach as you can guarantee that if you do deviate one way or the other, so will the person you’re running towards, and you’ll wipe them out… safer, within the confines of politeness and civility of course, to keep going straight and hope they work it out…

nickc

“at the end of this, you have to go up that bloody hill.”

nealglover
    Free Member

I have only two thoughts while running.

Either : “this is really good, my ankle isn’t hurting at all, love it!”

Or : “shitting flippers, my ankle feels like it’s got a sword stuck through it, I hate running!”

(I do have an MRI booked on the 19th to see if there is actually a sword in there)

ahwiles
    Free Member

Mostly, I just bimble along happily at about 5mins/k.

It’s bloody great for clearing my head, and allowing answers / solutions to present themselves.

pain and misery only become part of the picture after about 15k.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What runners think about.’ is closed to new replies.