Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What route and bike for touring?
  • nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I am hoping to do some touring but undecided where yet. I really want to do something for charity that non-cyclists could relate to (so therefore probably not mountain bike routes, which I would obviously prefer). So Land's End – John O'Groat's. However, I can't stand Britons attitude to bikes so might try something like cycling to Switzerland from the ferry… Suggestions?

Right, I have plenty of bikes, too many in fact so unless it's cheap, I don't want to buy any others. The only bike I have with rack mounts is my 456 Ti, which is too expensive and sexy for touring methinks. So either I buy a steel version and build it up (700c wheels possible do you think?) or use a different bike. I also have a Gary Fisher Big Sur with an Alfine which would be great (but no rack mounts again) and also a Cross bike, which would be the best choice I suppose but again – no rack mounts.

Or there any other solutions to rack mounts? Any (cheap) frames I should consider?

Thanks in advance

geoffj

456 Ti, which is too expensive and sexy for touring methinks

Eh? Get some 700c wheels on it and off you go.

alexonabike

Old Man Mountain racks don't need braze-ons, Tubus do universal fit kits for their racks too.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Agreed on not touring on a 456 Ti – it'll end up locked up outside cafes and at campsites and so on so you don't want anything too nickable.

It was only 3 days, but I just did coast 2 coast on an inbred with a low stem, flat bars and bar ends and it was spot on with semi slicks and plenty of pressure. Mountain man racks are pretty expensive from memory – not a great deal more cash would get you an inbred frame with rack mounts that you could swap out some kit onto.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Attach P clips to the stays and then racks to them. Should be OK so long as you don't overload things. Oh and check any rack doesn't foul stuff like disc calipers.

eddie11
    Free Member

routes?

the classic i guess is the coast to coast (c2c) workington/whitehaven to Newcastle/Sunderland over the lakes and pennines although ive never done it.

I can recommend the hadrians wall cycleway ravenglass to newcastle. About 30%-40% is on traffic free cyclepaths but ive done the whole thing on an audax frame with 25mm gatorskins but if i'd had clearance and were doing it again i'd chose 32mm

over two days i managed just a backpack by using minimum of clothing, refilling with water as i went and using accommodation places that provided bedding.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Ireland
    Mizen head to malin head

If you want to be proper hardcore, cycle to the ferry at holyhead/liverpool or somewhere, and cycle from dublin to Cork first.

B&B touring is very light. Especially if the projected forcast looks nice

dmiller
    Free Member

Might be worth asking the CTC people on this…

http://forum.ctc.org.uk

David.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Thanks for that. CTC was very useful and has convinced me I want to do Land's End – John O'Groats. I'm not doing it for speed so will pick very minor roads or even easy offroad (will be on cross bike or 456 with semi-slicks so nothing too crazy). Any advice?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What route and bike for touring?’ is closed to new replies.