• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What roadie shoes that allow SPD-SL axle to position under ball of foot?
  • doordonot
    Free Member

Hello,

To expand on the subject. I currently have Spesh ‘sport’ shoes with Shimano SPD-SL R540 pedals and a standard three bolt pattern on the sole of the shoe. Problem is I can’t move the cleat plate far enough back (i.e. towards the foot arch) to allow the position of the ball of the foot to rest directly above the pedal axle. Therefore, I’m effectively balancing the foot with the ball slightly behind the axle which takes its toll on long rides. Shoe size is fine – it’s not as if the shoe is too long.

So, has anyone else had this issue and fixed it – and how or, can anyone recommend an SPD-SL compatible shoe (with a very stiff sole) which allows the bolts to slide further towards the arch of the foot? (it only needs to be 3-5mm or so further back than the position at the moment).

Thanks.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Shimano shoes allow you to position the cleat quite far back as the holes in the sole can be moved back.

FuzzyWuzzy

My s-works allow for a fair amount of rear movement for the cleats (although not close to the amount my Shimano MTB shoes allow). Surprised you can’t get the ball of the toe over the axle though unless you have super-long toes, it’s getting the axle over the arches is what most people (that want to) struggle with finding suitable shoes.

jeb

could it be possible, to drill the bolt-sleeves longer, say with a dremel ?

ctk
    Free Member

My Shimano shoes allow that much movement, if not more. I’m surprised your Spesh don’t.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What roadie shoes that allow SPD-SL axle to position under ball of foot?’ is closed to new replies.