Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What Roadie out of this pair would you buy…?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Planning to get a new roadie next year and given Canyon’s waiting list I’m forced to make a call sooner rather than later. Anyhow, the 2 forerunners to this point are:

Canyon Ulimate CF SL

and this

Focus Izalco SL 4

Plus points for the Canyon –

Its 550 quid cheaper than the £2500 focus
    Its Lighter (not by much and only because of the wheels)
    Its got much better wheels

Plus Points for the Focus –

I can sit on it in a shop
    I don’t have to wait until mid april to get it
    Frame is probably better
    Intrest free..not a biggie but not having such a large hole appearing in my finances will be welcome!

One of the big concerns about the izalco is that it looks very ‘racy’…I’m no racer, it’ll be used for 40-50 mile training rides, plus the odd sportive. Will it be an absolute dog over anything other than super smooth tarmac, and will the ridiculously short head tube ruin me after about 20 miles…?

What do the STW masses think?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why those 2 ? Both seem racey.

Try merida scultura 905 at 1999.

Gets good reviews as a less racey bike , without looking like a sportive bike. Nice relaxed angles

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m a weight weenie! And it weighs more than a kilo more than the other 2. Definitely one to consider, but not blown away by spec/weight etc

They do seem a bit racey though I’d agree, especially the focus. Current roadie is a planet x SL carbon for comparison.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Merida was probably weighed complete in a logical size 😉

Conqueror
    Free Member

you could upgrade the wheels on your Planet X, rotational mass likely to be more noticable.. also you might not have light wheels atm?

was going to suggest Planet X TI Pro.. though perhaps just nice wheels will suffice 😛

taxi25
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bet on the Focus frame being better.The Canyon uses the same mould as the slx which is superb !!
    If it wasn’t for the wait it would be a no brainer.

tpbiker
    Free Member

The current wheelset weighs about 1500. The whole bike is as stiff as cooked spagetti however, and its no looker..

That said, I know fine well that none of the above will actually make me go faster, its just that I want to buy a flash new toy!

fanatic278
    Free Member

Canyon seems like the better suited bike to you. If you specify a double chain set instead of a compact then most sizes are available this month.

Conqueror
    Free Member

That said, I know fine well that none of the above will actually make me go faster, its just that I want to buy a flash new toy!

fairy nuff.. you definitely set on Carbon?.. no bling Steel, TI or Alu?

benji
    Free Member

You are basing the weights on a claimed weight from the manufacturer?

Spend the money on a wattbike, and get some quality training in, or ride a heavy winter bike complete with mudguards and then find when you get back on your current one you are flying.

damascus
    Free Member

Friends got a canyon. Very impressed with it. Very high spec for the money

tpbiker
    Free Member

Well I weighed the focus in the shop….with pedals, bell and reflectors in a size large it came in at about 7.5k

The thought of a wattbike is not an appealing one in the slightest I’m afraid, I’m never going to be fast, I just want to have a nice bling bike! Did consider ti but think going to stick with Carbon.

The bigger crankset option isn’t a bad idea actually meaning I could get it by end of month. I could pick up a replacement for about 140 quid and sell the new one most probably. Is there a difference between 10 and 11 speed crank sets?

IanW
    Free Member

I think you will find the difference in spec will matter not a jot when you are peffing out up hill at 70 miles, buy the one that looks the best.

fanatic278
    Free Member

The bigger crankset option isn’t a bad idea actually meaning I could get it by end of month. I could pick up a replacement for about 140 quid and sell the new one most probably. Is there a difference between 10 and 11 speed crank sets?

Presumably your current bike has a compact crank on it. Why not just swap them over?

tpbiker
    Free Member

thought of that, hence the 10/11 speed compatability query.

TiRed

Giant Defy Advanced 1. Nicer frame than both of your contenders, slightly more suitable geometry for longer training rides.

However…If it fits and is your size, the 2013 Defy Advanced SL is available from Rutland Cycles for £2099! 😯 The less well specced 2014 model is £3K and still a fantastic bike. The TCR Advanced SL$ can also be had for about £2K now as well.

That Focus is a lovely bike and a clubmate rides one, but it is a race bike. You’ll be adding plenty of spacers to get comfortable and a 73.5 degree headtube angle does not for relaxing make at the end of 100 miles.

taxi25
    Free Member

Only a small Defy left at Rutland. Can’t argue the Defy is a good bike, but how do you know the frame is nicer than the Canyon or Focus ?

globalti
    Free Member

Specialized have some good deals on Tarmac and Roubaix at the moment. I have a Roubaix SL4 and it is quite simply the most amazingly efficient yet comfortable bike I’ve ever owned; it has reawakened the lust for cycling that I experienced when I first started mountain biking 25 years ago.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Only a small Defy left at Rutland. Can’t argue the Defy is a good bike, but how do you know the frame is nicer than the Canyon or Focus ?

Not sure how you would quantify nicer. Even a pretty basic alu Defy is a lovely bike to ride though, and would be brilliant for training miles (though not fulfilling the bling requirement maybe.) Have you had a spin on either of the other two you are looking at?

chakaping
    Free Member

buy the one that looks the best.

+1

Which is the Canyon (in black) and also fortunately means you get the excellent wheels.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have a focus pro 2, fantastic bike but it is racy. I’m a slammed stem weight weenie racer so that’s what I wanted.

sputnik
    Free Member

Easy choice. Canyon.
    And why do you want a compact crank set? Do you live in the Alps?

Gribs

There’s plenty of places in England where a compact crank set and a wide block is a good idea if you care about your knees. Would you really want to ride up this http://app.strava.com/segments/1108413 on a 53/39 with an 11-23 cassette?

sputnik
    Free Member

Dunno Gribs, can’t tell till I’ve tried it.
    Guess its doable with 39/25…

faz083
    Free Member

Easy choice. Canyon.
    And why do you want a compact crank set? Do you live in the Alps?

This is so STW. Would love to see you on a ride anywhere in the UK with hills on a 53/39 and a racey cassette. Suck a lemon.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Live in Scotland. Plenty of places where a compact comes in handy, especially given my rides are planned around the biggest hills in the area.

Does anyone know if I could use my old 10 speed compact on a 11 speed drivetrain?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I wouldn’t worry about the comment about the compact. I’ve used both standard and compact and much prefer a compact. Maybe the comment came from someone who doesn’t ride proper hills.

deviant
    Free Member

I swapped to a 39/53 this year, had been on a compact but found spinning to be less natural to me than cranking a harder gear at a slower cadence, since having the new bike i havent touched the one with a compact.

I admit to keeping an 11-28 cassette out back to help with the hills around here, wouldnt want to ride with a 23t or 25t max cassette.

I have just seen that Shimano are doing their Ultegra in a 36/52 version that they are referring to as the Goldilocks chainset, not too big, not too small, just right….seems intriguing and something i’ll probably look at speccing on my next road bike.

For people who want the top end of a 39/53 chainset but need some ‘get out of jail’ gears, you can fit a medium cage mech and run Shimano’s 11-32 cassette….you keep the speed of a 53-11 gear and also the climbing ratio of 39-32….they’re big gaps between the ratios but its swings and roundabouts, the perfect groupset probably deosnt exist for most people.

sputnik
    Free Member

Suck a lemon, pinch of salt and sip of tequila , thats how I troll.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What Roadie out of this pair would you buy…?’ is closed to new replies.