Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What road tyres for a cx bike
  • nosaintangel
    Free Member

What road tyres are best for a cx bike.
    to use for road training.

tomkerton
    Free Member

I swapped off the 35mm Sammy slicks my CX came with and I’ve had 28mm Conti Gatorskins on all winter. 90psi, 60-80 miles a week, no punctures yet, hardly any wear on em.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Erm, any road tyres, they will all fit.

25-28mm will give you a bit more comfort and grip with lower pressures than 23s

crikey
    Free Member

Conti GP 4000s, in 23s or 25s or 28s.

You will not find a better tyre in terms of grip/feel/pace/longevity.

aP
    Free Member

The same ones that road cyclists use. Continental GP4 Season for fit and forgetness and decent feel, speed and reliability. Vredestein Fortezza TriComp Quattro for faster days.

nosaintangel
    Free Member

i do appreciate that all 700c will fit cynic-al .i use mich pro race on my road bikes.was just wondering what other peeps use on there cx bikes.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I use 25mm Schwalbe marathon’s on my CX, excellent winter tryre in my experience.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ive got some Conti GP 4 seasons 28C.. were on special offer from probikekit (dont forget TCB)

MoreCashThanDash

I’m happily using Conti Sport Contacts in 32mm flavour for towpath commuting and shockingly wet winter road riding. Bit lardy, but 3000 puncture proof miles so far…. (OK, I removed a few grammes of glass and chippings out of them last weekend)

craigxxl
    Free Member

I use 28mm Schwalbe Marathons which roll nicely, tough as nails and grip well.

martymac

i use 32mm conti gatorskin front and hardshell rear on my charge filter.
    in no way would i say these tyres were light, but they roll fine, and no punctures in 1000 miles+ cant be bad.
    i am a fat biffer tho, you may prefer 28s.

nosaintangel
    Free Member

loads of choices there .will have to start searching for some bargains now.
    thanks

cp

Massively impressed with conti gp 4 season in 28mm.

Feel nice and they just grip and grip and grip, even in cold slime.

cinnamon_girl

I’ve just changed to Conti GatorSkins in 32mm.

TiRed

For that authentic roadie feel, I’d go with 25c tyres. You may have wider rims for Cx, so these will fit better. Everyone has their favourite brand. Mine is Schwalbe for robust tyres that roll well and grip. I’m running 25c Durano Plus and they are excellent – available folding. I also have 25c Marathon Plus, again very robust and good grip. Others are Durano S, and Ultremo (23c), but Ultremos are not for winter use. I’ve just ordered some Ones in 25c with latex tube.

I’ve tried Continental and didn’t find them grippy in the wet and cold. They were cheap, however.

My recommendation would be Kevlar folding Durano Plus or Durano S, either in 25c run at 90/100 PSI front and rear. Don’t skimp on inner tubes, either. I run Supersonics as a luxury, but aim for a decent brand and 100g.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m too lazy to mess around switching tyres, so I use Vittoria XN Pro’s all the time. The file tread gives me enough grip (most of the time) off road and is hardly noticeable on road.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Depends what rims you have as to what width to go for.
    If you have No Tubes Iron Cross for example will just run a 25mm, but ideally 28mm and above.

cynic-al
    Free Member

nosaintangel – Member
    i do appreciate that all 700c will fit cynic-al .i use mich pro race on my road bikes.was just wondering what other peeps use on there cx bikes.

Ah. My point was I would choose tyres based on my riding, rather than the bike.

What tyres do you get on with on the road?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What road tyres for a cx bike’ is closed to new replies.