Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • what road tubeless kit?
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

I know it must have been done but I wasn’t paying attention. About to convert my Pacenti CL25′ to tubeless. Tubeless rim profile but nipple holes. What should I use? Expensive Stans kit or something else. Proper tubeless tyres planned, probably Schwalbe.

TiRed

Schwalbe Ones have been excellent. As for other kit, I used Superstar red valves (so I can tell they are tubeless 😉 ) and Ksyrium wheels without nipple holes. Stans tape should be fine.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I went through this process about 6 months ago using H Plus Son Archetype rims. Things I learned:
    1. Use stans or Tesa tape. Gorilla tape is rubbish and very messy to try and get off.
    2. Stans sealant is far better that Joes and Slime which both work ok for mtb but were useless for road. I’ve not tried home made sealant but I guess you can adapt it accordingly.
    3. Hutchison Fusion 3 tubeless tyres are pretty poor. They cut up far to easily and get large slits that sealant has no chance of filling at 80 psi. I’m going to try some schwalbe ones as they’re cheap at the moment.
    4. Tubeless gives a nice smooth ride but if you don’t have tyres that can stand up to the roads you regularly ride then it can be a real pain.

So basically I got everything wrong initially because I was trying to do it on the cheap. I also based the decisions on advice given on here so you should probably ignore this. 😆

munkster
    Free Member

*cough* got some Hutchinson tubeless tyres FS if interested *cough*

Never been punctured (c.1000 miles).

Other than that, Superstar or Stans tape (both seem similar), Stans sealant and valves. Now on Schwalbe One 25mm on one bike and Hutchinson Intensive 25mm on the other for winter. Tempting fate but not punctured on road since I went tubeless c.3000 miles ago. Cue catastrophic flat next time I go out just watch!

Oh, reminds me, I ended up getting a “AirShot” inflator wotsit because the Intensives just refused to go up with a track pump (never a problem before). Expensive but worked very well first time.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Get a roll of the yellow tesa tape that is the same as stans tape.
    2 x tubeless presta valves of required length.
    Tub of stans sealant.. shake very well before use.
    Track pump, soapy sponge.
    If it doesnt go up in a few goes make a ghetto inflator from a coke bottle.

What tyres are you using?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Some shops say that Stans yellow isn’t enough and that it needs another strip of something.
    Tesa tape appeals as its on a big roll.
    What about width? Rim is listed as 20mm wide internally. 25mm or 19?
    Schwalbe Ones planned.
    Might try to convert some non tubeless rims to take the One G gravel tyre as well.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I would use two wraps of Stans tape which is usually enough.
    Also found on new tyres pump them up with a tube and leave them for a bit as this shapes the tyre to the rim.
    Plenty of soapy suds on bead and job is usually a good one with a track pump.
    Be patient.
    Spin the tyre a couple of times if doesn’t go up first time.
    Maybe have a cup of tea and try again.
    Usually works!
    Thanks,
    Max

fizik
    Free Member

two layers of gorilla tape better than all above, cheaper too. worked ok on various rims long term for me (including the cl25)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘what road tubeless kit?’ is closed to new replies.