Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What Road Rim for 20h Radial Lacing?
  • Daffy

I’m looking for light, but have heard the Stans Alpha 340 can be a little weak in this hole config…What else should I be thinking of?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Chinese carbon.

Daffy

Is this the only alternative? Carbon braking feels plain weird…

geetee1972
    Free Member

I was sceptical as well but braking on carbon rims isn’t all that bad and the performance step is more than big enough. Have a look at Wheelsmiths and their Gigantex range. They are very good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is this the only alternative?

Not if you want light, strong, low spoke count.

geetee1972
    Free Member

There are other deep section allow rims on the market that would maybe support a build with that spoke count, but as mrblobby said, they won’t build into a light wheel.

http://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/rims/700c-rims/h-plus-son-sl42/ is a good example but it weighs over 600g.

munkster
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t Archetypes be OK for 20 hole radial lacing?

Are we ruling that out because they’re not mega light? I built some for a friend (20R/24×2, he spec’d the spoke count!) and he loves them (and not just to look at 😉 )…

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s a good point. DCR Hunt’s website states that H Plus Son have said an Archetype with 20/24 spoke counts will hold a rider up to 91kg, so it should be a consideration at the very least.

munkster
    Free Member

Also, if tubeless was a possibility, the Pacenti SL23 is a lovely rim (but pricey) I found on my latest build, and lighter than the Archetype (I weighed a 24 hole rim @ 434g vs 470 for the Archetype…).

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Hope build a Stans Alpha 400 on a radial aero hub, I’ve got one and it rides well, the 400 is a lot stiffer than the 340 model.

Haze

What’s considered light these days?

I’m having Pacenti’s built 20/24 onto Industry Nine hubs, expecting around 1500g. Not mega light but pretty decent…

bob_summers

My Chinese carbon tubs (20/24h, 24mm) are light at 950g the pair. But when you break a front spoke the wheel tacos and won’t spin through the brake caliper. Not a risk you’d wanna take except on the big days when weight really does matter.

sillyoldman

DT RR585?

njee20
    Free Member

My Chinese carbon tubs (20/24h, 24mm) are light at 950g the pair. But when you break a front spoke the wheel tacos and won’t spin through the brake caliper. Not a risk you’d wanna take except on the big days when weight really does matter.

Have you broken many spokes? I was considering a pair of those as ‘spare’ wheels for nice days!

Haze

I have a new definition of light…

bob_summers

Njee only one but it was a ride ender. The front rim delaminated after a big pyrenees day, but no big deal to put a new one on (apart from the interminably fiddly cx rays). Super happy with them for the price, from Farsports.

njee20
    Free Member

Awesome, ta. They do look good. Considering some 38mm clinchers on DT240s for everyday use and a pair of those for weighing the bike and riding up hills. 950g for the price is mental.

bob_summers

Not half. I thought I might have misremembered the weight but just checked my nerd notes and they were 558g and 394g when I weighed them. Think they were the Edhubs version (hubs faultless although admittedly they spend winter in a cupboard rather than grinding out miles)

munkster
    Free Member

What’s considered light these days?

I’m having Pacenti’s built 20/24 onto Industry Nine hubs, expecting around 1500g. Not mega light but pretty decent…

My SL23s on DA 9000 with Laser/D-Lite spokes (24/28) have come out at 1510g… Happy with that.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I duild with the archetpe and pcanri sl23 in 20h all the time. The rim and wheel that results is very stiff. Da hubs come in 18f and so the pacenti rim. A 18f 24r build with da hub and laser or cx ray spokes is very stiff and stable. All the archetype i keep and i have alot average out at 480g. The pacenti does seem to be 435g at present. It used to be heavier.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Link to these 950gm wheels? What does the clinher equivalent weigh?

…light, strong, low spoke count.

…is not how I would describe a 20H Alpha wheel!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Yeah, I was sceptical too having had the 340 rim, but the 400 is a lot better. I’m 85kg and don’t faff around and it feels stiff enough for me.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What Road Rim for 20h Radial Lacing?’ is closed to new replies.