Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What road pedals
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

In less than 1400 miles my time expression 2 pedals have broken….. So I’m looking for a replacement set but not the same ones.

Ultegra on ‘cheap’ on CRC with an extra 10% at the most
    Speed play zero
    Look keo

Anyone with pros and cons of any of these?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Shimano last forever. Got a pair of new 105’s on 10000+ miles and some old 105’s on 30000+ miles and they are both as smooth as the day I got them.

mcnultycop

I much prefer the action on Look Keo to Shimano, easier in and out.

imnotverygood

Speedplay are easy to clip in/out of. They also have a lot of float, which I like, but some people find a bit weird. The company isn’t very pleasant by all accounts.

Philby

Had a pair of Look Keos for 7 years and still work perfectly with minimal maintenance.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Speedplay.How much float is totally adjustable.

scaredypants

shimano 550 here – about 30 quid and work just fine

I wouldn’t buy posher unless I was pushing for the UCI weight limit or something

jam-bo

105. Like the 550 but with a metal plate that doesn’t creak.

scaredypants

550s have a metal plate jambo – or do you mean their metal plates creak ?

(mine haven’t yet)

jam-bo

Hmm. Maybe I had the 540’s then. They had a plastic plate and drove me slowly mad.

Haze

Love my Look Blades, once you get used to the lack of tipping…feel really solid.

lunge

Shimano, always. Last ages, good action and the cleats last better too.

Kuco

I like my Speed Play pedals.

vickypea
    Free Member

I have look keo. I find them harder to clip into than shimano but I’m a bit of a Berk on a road bike

Nobby

The Ultegras – they just work & the carbon body seems to keep its looks far better than its alloy brethren.

cookeaa

Another vote for 105 (540) they do the job, 550 if you don’t want so many plastic bits, but I vote Shimano…

mrjmt
    Free Member

I recently swapped to Look, prefer them as the cleats have rubber pads on the bottom so better for walking but more importantly stop you slipping off the pedals when setting off at busy traffic lights and can’t get clipped in! 😳

carlphillips
    Free Member

Hmm, after some more research it looks like speedplays can be a little high maintenance which doesn’t suit my ride then chuck it in the shed method of roadbike care..

so look keo or shitmano….that’ll be down to price I reckon…..

back2basics
    Free Member

whats wrong with eggbeaters?

zero-cool
    Free Member

Look also, buy whichever model you can afford. I’ve used some of their beginner ones as well as some of their expensive versions and all work flawlessly.

Tom KP

carlphillips
    Free Member

@b2b bearing longevity (IME) cleat contact area?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

whats wrong with eggbeaters?

The cleats won’t fit on road shoes?

Kuco

I haven’t touched my speed play pedals in a couple of years and still going fine.

dragon
    Free Member

Time RXS

I do wish Time would remake the Impact, brilliant pedal if a touch heavy by modern standards, but I could live with that for the security and robustness they gave.

carlphillips
    Free Member

I’m done with Time.

stevious

The general consensus is that Look are a little bit nicer to use but Shimano last longer. I’ve heard nothing but grief about Time road pedals and Speedplay are a bit overpriced unless you need extra float.

back2basics
    Free Member

@teetosugars
    mine do
    buy an adaptor.

you can refurb them once the bearings go with a wee kit, ive run mine in all sorts of weathers, 4 sided clip in while get passed to close by a lorry at a set of lights always wins 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What road pedals’ is closed to new replies.