Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • …What Road front wheel?
  • z1ppy

for a soap box cart…. so what’s cheapish, doesn’t need to be light weight and not total tat?
    (he’ll reuse them over the next couple of years – take’s this one race far too seriously!)

Another friend mentioned he bought a R500 as a short term replacement (for his road bike), is this the way to go? Or some Tiagra’s for £40 on merlin
    Road stuff isn’t something I follow…

…and then tyres? Something that’s not mega bucks but not plastic either?

z1ppy

Anyone?

edhornby

cheapo tiagra ones from merlin – whatever cheap tyres, the planet x PTX rage and some latex inner tubes

as it’s all about the rolling resistance, get him to strip the bearings (tiagra I’m guessing ? will be good old fashioned cup and cone which is perfect for this application ) take any kind of rubber seals off, clean all the grease out and replace with 3in1, or even buy a load of cheap stainless bearings off internet

this is something you clearly wouldn’t do for a road bike but for a box car which will be used about 10 times max this will be ok

z1ppy

😀 cheers

mboy
    Free Member

Definitely cup and cone bearings are the way to go for a soap box cart.

R500’s would be perfect, they’re cheap, roll well, there’s very little sealing from the elements to cause any drag, they’re semi aero and they’re stiff. Almost like it was designed for the purpose!

Tyre wise, rolling resistance is key. I’d suggest the fastest 25c tyres you can get your hands on for not too silly money. 25’s are advisable over 23’s in this case as there’s evidence that 25c is the optimum width when it comes to rolling resistance. Usually carry said items in stock if you need them…

z1ppy

Oy! thought you were on holiday.. Go ride ya bike!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘…What Road front wheel?’ is closed to new replies.