Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What Road disc specific rims? Any suggestions
  • damascus
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m currently running a set of Alex rims cxd26 on generic hubs that came on my bike. Although they are not tubeless they have been converted and work well but I’m after something a little more.

I’ve got a spare set of American classic disc hubs and I want to make a lightweight set on tubeless rims but I’m struggling to find any decent disc specific rims that are around the 400g mark.

The hubs are 32 holes and will be used for commuting, touring, weekend riding etc.

Any suggestions

Thanks

munkster
    Free Member

That’s pretty light for a rim isn’t it? Pacenti Forza disc and Velocity Aileron would be my first ideas but they’re both 450-460g. Malcolm @ CycleClinic seems to have some DT Swiss’s that are a bit lighter (410g) but no idea about them, look a bit narrow too. I’m sure someone will be along shortly with a perfect recommendation 😉

crazy-legs

As you’ve got American Classic hubs, why not just get their rims too?
    https://amclassic.com/index.php/rims.html

Even before I’d read the full text of your question, just off the title alone I’d have said American Classic wheels.

I’ve got Hurricane Disc wheels on my CX – I’d say they are probably slightly too heavy duty for normal road use but something like the Sprint 350 disc tubeless rims should be perfect.
    (I’ve got the regular rim brake Sprint 350 wheels on my road bike)

damascus
    Free Member

Munkster those DT Swiss RR411 DB (disc brake) bicycle road rims in 32 look perfect.

Has anyone got any real life experiences of them?

damascus
    Free Member

Crazy legs, yes, the American classic sprints are my other option. Sell the hubs and just buy a wheel set. 1400g wheel set for 28f 32r looks pretty good.

I also like the wider rim on my road wheels.

crazy-legs

What’s the hub spec (colour, holes, width, 10/11sp, 6-bolt/centrelock, QR/bolt-thru etc)? and how much do you want for them?

damascus
    Free Member

Hi crazy legs. I had a set of American classic wide lightening wheels but just changed the hubs to Hope pro 4 as I needed boost.

They are 2 years old and have done around 500 miles. 11 speed, 100×15 front and 12×142 rear. 6 bolt disc.

If I buy a wheel set you can have first refusal.

shermer75
    Free Member

If you’re building up a commuter then be prepared for the rim to wear out a bit sooner than you might expect because of the high mileage, especially if it’s lightweight. If you’re happy to spend the $$$$ then crack on!! 🙂

Daffy

Why would the rim wear out on a disc brake bike?

M

cookeaa

Spotted these DT options for relatively light/wide road rims when looking at SJS recently:

DT R460 (450g/18mm)

DT XR400 (450g/18mm)

DT XR331 (340g/20mm)

Don’t know what spoke count you are looking at but there’s some options there (including MTB rims) those XR331 seem a bit on the silly light side, but they are sold as an MTB rim, not cheap though…

damascus
    Free Member

Not sure what the maximum psi would be on a mtb rim. The road rims seem to be heavier as they are designed for over 100 psi

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of r460 disc rims on novatec hubs and 28 spokes. Used for road rides, commuting and a little touring. Nothing negative to report and I’m about 100kg.

jameso

400g is very light for a 700c rim that’s any good for touring and can take a 28-40C tyre. Pacentis are light compared to most of similar spec but my experience with them was that they’re not so durable. WTB make some good rims, more of a sensible weight, been happy with the KOMs and Frequency rims I’ve used for last couple of wheelsets. Both have a fair bit of use now and zero issues. TCS is a good tubeless system also.

shermer75
    Free Member

Why would the rim wear out on a disc brake bike?

In my experience they begin to split at the spoke eyelet holes, I usually get 2-3 years out of the back wheel but a fair bit longer out of the front

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What Road disc specific rims? Any suggestions’ is closed to new replies.