Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What road brakes ?
  • jam-bo

Trying to convince myself that a decent set of rim brakes is a better choice than dropping £2000 on a new road bike with disc brakes.

Current brakes are oem specialized things, is it worth going any higher up the shimano chain from 105?

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you want a new bike, buy a new bike. Nothing wrong with that. If you genuinely do just want better braking then the best thing you could do is buy a set of Swiss Stop pads for your current brakes. That will make a much bigger difference to braking power, especially in the wet, than new calipers.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

This is difficult one 105 and upwards is not much difference.But when you compare them to cable disc brakes which i have on a CX bike the cable are way better.Not much help.

Jamie
    Free Member

Trying to convince myself that a decent set of rim brakes is a better choice than dropping £2000 on a new road bike with disc brakes.

Rim brakes, schmim brakes.

Stop being a bawbag, and just get a new bike.

munkster
    Free Member

Planet X CNC brakes look blinging and stop me very well indeed with salmon Koolstop pads fitted.

Can be a bit of a bugger to set up initially but once sorted they’re sorted.

Or you could buy a new bike 😉

jam-bo

Pair of ultegra 6700 calipers for £52. Thanks CRC.

Now I can spend £1948 on my mtb….

shedfull
    Free Member

The no name brakes on Specialized bikes are lousy. The 105s have better pivots, more leverage and better shoe material.

Kuco

I’ve got Ultegra brakes and they stop me fine. For me personally I don’t see the need for disc on a road bike.

captain-slow
    Free Member

No need for discs on a road bike I thought, and then I did the ride london surrey thing last week.

Would have been nice to have the option of slowing down a bit even given the risk of locking up…

akira

New ultegra or 105 dual pivot things are a good step up in power from previous models. 5800 or 6800 available at all good bike shops.

wilburt
    Free Member

I have some OEM jobs on bike number 2 and some Ultregras on bike number 1 both are fitted with wiggle lifeline (4 for a fiver) brakes pads and both work equally well but the Ultegras look nicer.

I know I’m probably going to end up with discs but if you asked my top 10 of things that need improving braking wouldn’t be on it.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Got both 105 & Ultegra 6700 both good sets of brakes but not so in the wet, perhaps I need better pads.

jam-bo

No need for discs on a road bike I thought, and then I did the ride london surrey thing last week.
    Would have been nice to have the option of slowing down a bit even given the risk of locking up…

Only time I found my braking lacking at ride London was when I got boxed in on a descent. Nearly stuffed into the back of someone going really slowly….

stoffel
    Free Member

Sadly, Mavic have discontinued the Open Pro Ceramic rims (probably due to the rise in availability and popularity of disc brakes in the CX world), but if you can find a pair, then they’ll be the best money you can spend to improve wet-weather braking.

mike_p
    Free Member

Shimano 105 or Ultegra calipers with Kool Stop Dura2 salmon pads FTW, the difference is startling at first

jam-bo

first ride on the ultegra calipers with stock pads.

made me realise how shit my old brakes were….

mrblobby
    Free Member

Jam bo, just wait till you try the kool stop salmon, they’re a revelation in winter.

njee20
    Free Member

If you’ve not already change your cables too, decent quality outers make a bigger difference than changing brakes IME.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What road brakes ?’ is closed to new replies.