Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What road bike hubs
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

Was thinking of just saving up for some Chris King R45s – anything else to consider along the fit and forget line. Was thinking about Hope but from experience their stuff is a bit hit and miss quality wise. Cartridge bearing type so not Shimano.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Dt 240

Hanky

Very happy with my CK Hubs and Enve 3.4’s, if they last as long as my MTB hubs with minimal maintenance its a no brainer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depending on why you dont like cup and cone, have you considered dura ace, i think ultegra now has the same innards too? No more cone spanners!

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/03/video/ask-a-mechanic-how-do-i-adjust-hubs_321431

dirtyrider
    Free Member

King hubs are a pain in the arse, want to go from a 10 speed free hub to 11 speed

200 **** quid

Dura-Ace hubs don’t come in a front 20h annoyingly

another vote for DT 240

brooess
    Free Member

I have Hope on my winter bike and they’ve gone a full winter without being looked at maintenance-wise.
    My commuter is a couple of years old, been used through two winters and the hubs on that are still running free without being looked at – they’re Condor Uno.
    I bought some used wheels from a clubmate which had Campag Record hubs and they were knackered (pitted races) from water ingress after one winter…

rocco

King hubs are a pain in the arse, want to go from a 10 speed free hub to 11 speed

200 **** quid
    Only £70 here http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Chris-King/11-Speed-R45-Driveshell-Freehub-Body/31DV?gclid=CNP35MutiscCFa3MtAodGukPrw

dirtyrider
    Free Member

thats just the free hub

you need a complete axle assembly as well

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Chris-King/R45-Rear-Hub-11-speed-Shimano-Conversion-Kit/2AK4?wmp=152

Rorschach
    Free Member

My hopes have done 8k+ miles last year alone.Had the freehub off a couple of times for a quick wipe and regrease and thats it.Front hub has probably done twice that and the bearings are just going now.

rocco

Didn’t realise you needed a new axle as well. I know of 2 people who haven’t used a new axle when converting so I guess it isn’t *needed* but not sure on the longevity or warranty if a new axle isn’t used

Haze

Industry 9?

Only had them about a month or so, so can’t really vouch for them long term…they sound good anyway…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve used Hope Pro 3 hubs on my touring bike. They’ve done about 12000 miles fully laden, they’ve never been touched since the whhels were built.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Aivee SR5 hubs pretty good and lasted a full year and a bit with no need for any maintenance so far light and made in France.

orangeboy
    Free Member

240 for me

munkster
    Free Member

Dura-Ace hubs don’t come in a front 20h annoyingly

They do seem to come in 18 though, from Deutschland… Too few for comfort?

Veh veh pleased with mine (24/28 config).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

White Industries.

I’ve used Hope, DT and Dura Ace and all were great though.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

They do seem to come in 18 though, from Deutschland… Too few for comfort?

more a case of already having a 20 spoke rim

edhornby

If you want posh hubs, get Royce and support UK manufacturing

stoney
    Free Member

King R45`s. But buy them from Aspire in the US. No brainer 🙄

munkster
    Free Member

more a case of already having a 20 spoke rim

Details details 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

^^^ ? ENVE 65

dirtyrider
    Free Member

anyone seen any cheap rear 240 hubs in 24h?

Wiggle are £187
    Bike24/Starbike are £181 + Postage

mashiehood
    Free Member

Extralite CyberSL if you want ultra lightweight or DTSwiss 240s.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/miche-primato-pair-of-road-hubs/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360348290&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360348290uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign&utm_medium=base&utm_content=s0CygGU1T_dc%7cpcrid%7c67090789142%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360348290uk

I have these. They’ve done 3000 miles in some awful weather and spin beautifully still without a hint of maintenance. No idea about weight etc. but they’ve built up into a nice set of wheels with H Plus Son rims. I’d have to win the lottery before I considered buying anything more expensive.

RustyMac

@ dirtyrider

http://www.bikestacja.pl/en/dt-swiss-240s-campa-black-24h-rear-hub-50-off-31561.html

even if it is the wrong freehub you should save a bit over the wiggle price

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

240 every time.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Out of Stock, have been forever, I’ve had a white 240 from them before cheap so regular check, cheers anyway

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For the price of those miche hubs you could get Mr Ride hubs off ebay. £70 and a choice between ridiculously light (<290g a set) and how ****ing light (<250g set). I’ve got a pair of the ‘288g’ hubs on my bike, they’re exactly their stated weight on my scales and have been reliable so far.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What road bike hubs’ is closed to new replies.