Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What road bike for a grand?
  • geoffj

I'm currently riding a Giant SCR Ltd which I love to bits, but Its coming up to Cyclesheme time again, and I'm begining to wonder what sort of improvement I could make.

I'm not sure I'm the right ahem build for a cheap plastic bike, so what other options are there? Is an Ultrega spec likely?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Most frames are tested, e.g. Boardman Team bikes tested to 18 stone and meet your price wedge.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ignore Ultegra. Buy the frame, not the spec. Avoid cheap carbon.

grahamt1980

Boardman team carbon is up to £1200 now

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Cheers grahamt1980, going to look at their site and was hoping to get one on cycle to work scheme too 😥

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Looking at this myself.

Candidates so far are:

Planet X SL Pro Carbon Ultegra SL

Focus Cayo 105

Boardman Team Carbon

Planet X Nanolight SRAM Rival

In ascending order of wedge.

timc
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Please elaborate?

Merak

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Disregard this chap's advice. He is a buffoon. Do embrace Ultegra if you can get it, do go for the best spec your money will buy, enjoy!

Stuartiec's advice is spot on.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cannondale caad9 Tiagra would be where my money went. Upgrade the kit as and when needed and the frames are fantastic well my caad5 was I'm looking at the dale for next year

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A buffoon, you say? Well that's fine, if you have any evidence to back it up. However, as you do not, I shall continue.

The frame is the most important, and most expensive, "component" on a bike. As such, if you buy a good frame, the rest is, relatively, cheap to upgrade.

A shitty frame with great parts will always be a shitty bike. A good frame with cheap parts will always be a great bike, one which can always be improved.

Do not go for the best "spec", go for the best frame. Spec is merely window dressing. A frame is the key.

Thus spake a "buffoon".

Curly68
    Free Member

Cannondale CAAD9 was where my CTW scheme money was heading (when the time came), until I found an Intense Fenix frame!

speaker2animals

Planet X superlight Ultegra here and no problem so far. I weigh on average 102kg. BB area is creaking when I honk or put a lot o pressure on while sitting. Cranks, BB etc are all coming of tomoorw for frame inspection and reassembly with carbon compound and copperslip in the appropriate places.

I saw a review of the P-X Nano light which said it wasn't as good as the Superlight. Flexy. They may have overdone the weight saving for the price/design. At my weight I'd avoid. And after all my bike weighs about 17.5lbs. With me weighing over 200LB do I really need a bike any lighter?

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I've heard quite a few comments now about the Planet X SL being not so rigid in the BB area so maybe not the best option for heavier/stronger riders.

geoffj

Flash – sounds good to me. The question is then how do I assess how good a frame is? I've heard good things about the 'dale frames, but am I going to notice a significant difference over my compact Giant?

Confused 🙁

Stuart thanks for that list – some interesting options there.

Philby

I think the OP needs to give some clue as to what he will be using the bike for – racing, sportives, touring etc – as a couple of the suggestions above have a more aggressive geometry (CAAD 9 and Boardman). Also as fit with a road bike is more important than on an Mtb. It would be sensible to try before you buy – which might preclude Planet X, Focus and Boardman (it appears many Halfords don't allow test rides) depending on where you live, or unless you have mates who have such bikes.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

OK, just taken the plunge on one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Cayo_105_Compact_2010/5360045299/

As I was watching, the price dropped from £1275 to £999 – it was a sign…

Now I need to start a "what shoes and pedals" thread.

geoffj

Very nice!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

T'is very nice colour scheme, looking at the frame geo, interested myself now as I need 57cm tt and 58 st.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

The main compromise seems to be a cheap, heavy wheelset but that's fine as it'll be used for MTB training and it's a straightforward upgrade in time.

Edric64
    Free Member

+1 for the buy the best frame comment.It's the heart of the bike and where the money should be spent.No point having a cheap frame with bling on.You can chrome a turd but it will still be a turd

ratherbeintobago

Now I need to start a "what shoes and pedals" thread.

Whatever you've got on your MTB will be fine; if you've got Shimano SPDs then you can get a single-sided platform version (PD-A600). Road pedals not really a benefit unless you're racing, and you can't walk properly in the shoes.

Andy

DOI – Time ATAC XSs on MTB, road bike & shopper.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Will probably stick to the MTB shoes and TIME pedals to begin with.

buffalobill
    Free Member

My C2W scheme has a £1k limit with no option to add a bit extra so currently have a CAAD8 105 on order. Went for the CAAD9 initially but there's no stock in the UK – still likely to be significantly better than my 15yr old steel roadbike used for commuting.

Am running mtb shoes and time pedals at present with no ill effects, but thinking of investing in a proper pair of pedals once its delivered.

radoggair
    Free Member

stuartie_c – Member
    Will probably stick to the MTB shoes and TIME pedals to begin with

Ha ha, you full. I dont think you understand what you have done

I 'started' out with the PX sl pro for a 'commute' bike with maybe extra training for MTB using my mtb pedals and shoes. 2 years down the line, road shoes, pedals, shaven legs, no peak on helmet, 3 group training runs a week as well as my commuting plus extra training on days off. Stuart my friend, your fate is sealed, welcome to the life of road riding for good ……….whoa ha ha ha ha ha ( small print.. also helps with mtb race fitness)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Damn it, damn it, damn it!

Of all the people I didn't want to see this is was you Radoggair. My secret plan for Kielder 100 domination has been sprung.

(Already got the helmet and the legs don't need much shaving…)

flange
    Free Member

I don't agree with the shoe comment. I've ridden in MTB race shoes and spds on my road bike for 15 years and recently bought some of the custom fit shimano road shoes and look pedals. The difference is huge, I can't believe how much more efficient my pedalling is and how much my SPD's flex. I also bought a new shiny carbon road bike not long after and the shoes made much more of a difference.

djc1245
    Free Member

I got the CAAD9 on C2W scheme. Did the bike radar 100 mile sportive on it and it worked perfectly….can't say that for the rider though. It has full Tiagra groupset, never missed a gear

foxyrider
    Free Member

I swapped out my old road frame for a ribble sportive frame and rides like a dream so IMHO makes a mockery of the "cheap" carbon statement!!! 👿 Just did a 102 mile sportive sunday and was soo comfortable – Bloomin' boutique stuff 😉

brassneck

You'll also want to remove the peak of your helmet – aesthetically because it looks right, but more practically because it's an arse to look up the road with it on whilst on the drops.

I'd second going for proper road shoes and pedals eventually, does make a noticeable difference if you're planning on any events or regular road work rather than just commuting.

DezB
    Free Member

2 years down the line, road shoes, pedals, shaven legs, no peak on helmet, 3 group training runs a week as well as my commuting

Doesn't happen to everyone though 🙂

mcboo
    Free Member

I just put my deposit down on one of these……Bike of the Year 2010 at Cycling Plus.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/six-carbon-105-special-edition-road-bike-ec023370

Evans have dropped the price by £400, Lord knows why. Just test rode it, frame is sensational, BB30 bottom bracket is something else. I'm stripping all the nice Force bits, Ksyrium Elites off my old bike, will use the 105s and slightly (very) shonky wheels on the 'Dale on my commuter.

+1 on what Radoggair said. I got a road bike last year on bike2work "just for a change", zero intention of getting seriously into it. Fast fwd a year the legs remain woolly but the helmet is peakless, the shorts are all tight lycra and I've notched up the Dragon and (gulp) Marmotte. I still enjoy mtb with my mates but road cycling is magical…..and hard. There is nowhere to hide on a roadbike.

oh……and roadbikes…….they sing.

Tyredocter
    Free Member

For me Bianchi or GT road bikes

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Look what the postie brought today

(Yes, that's a bell and yes, those are mtb pedals)

samuri
    Free Member

The current 105 is pretty much identical to Ultegra only a couple of years back, i.e., it's absolutely, massively, over-capable of providing what most of you idiots need.

That focus looks sweet to me, great bike. Enjoy.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

…it's absolutely, massively, over-capable of providing what most of you idiots need.

Aw, shucks.

Philby

Focus looks loverly…need to co-ordinate the water bottles though 😉

geoffj

Looks even better in the flesh than on the wiggle page – schweeet!

nickc

Get shoes and roadie pedals.

Haze

Stuartie_c, how you getting along with the Cayo?

I'm about to put my money down for one, so long as the 'financial director' gives me the nod!

What height are you and what size did you get?

Cheers in advance…

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Haze,

been out on it three times so far and initial impressions are great. Fit seems spot on though I'm still making little adjustments to get the best ride position like saddle tilt, bar height etc. Did a fast-paced (for me) 60 miler yesterday and it felt pretty comfortable all round apart from pain in my right hand (but this is due to a scaphoid problem so not the fault of the bike).

Seems like a lot of bike for the money even if I have started thinking of upgrades…

I'm 5' 8" with 31" inside leg and went for the medium (54cm).

Good luck and let me know what you think.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What road bike for a grand?’ is closed to new replies.