Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What rims/tyres on your cross bike?
  • Taylorplayer
    Free Member

I've just built up a Crosscheck, intend to have some A719 rims built up once I've decided which hubs to use.

Meantime….. I've got a set of Aksiums,, which according to the Mavic site are suitable up to 700 x 32, but it seems most cross tyes are 700 x 35.

For use on grassy singletrack, landrover tracks, muddy tracks etc would the Aksiums be strong enough – they've been plenty strong enough on road. Would they hold a 35 tyre at the lower pressure? Anyone using a wider than recommended tyre without problems?

aP
    Free Member

Campagnolo Neutron Ultra with 2001 Michelin Mud/ Sprint.

firestarter
    Free Member

im running a 1.8 bonty 29er tyre on my open pro rim no problems at all mate.

i also used to run 35mm on my old 16 spoke shimano 105 wheelset no dramas too (i was about two stone lighter at the time mind ) 😉

JoB
    Free Member

a variety of road rims on the 'cross bikes over the years, never looked at the recommended tyre size for any rim, never been a problem, your Aksiums will be fine

njee20
    Free Member

Agree with JoB, I ran Bontrager Race X Lites with various tyres, and they were great.

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

im running a 1.8 bonty 29er tyre on my open pro rim no problems

🙂 nice; Mavic site recommends up to 700 x 28 for Open Pro's ! Looks like a 34/35 will be ok then.

OK. cheers all.

traildog
    Free Member

What tyres do you intend to use? I often go for more touring tyres as you will easily puncture with proper cross tyres on rocky tracks.
    Aksiums will be fine. I know plenty of people who race with them.

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

What tyres do you intend to use?

I was afraid to ask that!

I want to leave from my house, a few miles on road, some muddy tracks, grassy singletrack, forestry type stoney track…… I was thinking of a touring tyre, but not sure which.

iainc

Jake the Snake :

Maxxis Locust 35's or Bonty Racelite 28's when on road duties

Rims Mavic Open Sport

firestarter
    Free Member

taylorplayer thats on a crosscheck too 😉

karnali
    Free Member

32 landcruisers sound ideal for what you want. not great in very muddy condtions but for anything else ideal. been running mine since sept not a single pncture since commute on them most days and did the 3 peaks, however the lack of speed ont he 3 peaks may have avoided punctures. pumped up hard not to slow on the road either

ajantom

Good deal on Ritchey Excavader Pro folding tyres at Chainreaction at the the mo – nearly half price.

Got these on my Pompino, and they seem to cope well with all surfaces (muddy, loose gravel, leaves, etc.) and also roll well on the road.

For rims I have an On-One 700c road rime on the back, and was running a Mavic OPen Sport on the front, but now have a DT RR 1.1 – ignore the recommended tyre widths for 700c rims, most will easily take a 35c tyre.

clubber
    Free Member

Aksiums with Conti Speed King 35mm tyres at 85psi using standard road inner tubes and no problems.

gingerflash

Quite a few cross bikes come with aksiums as standard, fitted with 35mm tyres.

I like michelin muds for the wet and maxxis raze for the dry. really didn't rate the speedkings at all. draggy but not grippy.

traildog
    Free Member

I usually race with Michelin muds (until I can afford tubs 😉 ) and they're a fast comfortable tyre, but I take them off on any sort of training ride. They wear quickly on the road and it's far too easy to puncture with them.

Those Excavader tyres mentioned above came with my bike and they were better than I thought they'd be. I've raced on them and they're not as fragile as the michelins.

However, I would personally go with a touring type of tyre. I have landcruisers which almost never puncture, are dirt cheap and grippier than you think.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Mavic cxp33. Really strong. 35c panaracer cindercross, I like em.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Aksiums with maxxis mudwrestler 32c or raze 35c (took it round cyb so the aksiums must be pretty tough!!!).

gingerflash

I've just put my Reynolds Alta Races on my cross bike.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4413573925_71280329ae.jpg

Ifrider
    Free Member

Ditto for the above comments on Aksiums, got them OTP on my Jake TS and ran them with Conti Speedking 35mms… No problem with rim-tyre compatibility.

Surfr
    Free Member

Aksium Race's with 35mm Conti Speed Kings and they work brilliantly

fontmoss
    Free Member

Did you sell the lemond taylor?

myheadsashed

TK7.1s with fast freds……

bol

Roval paves and spesh boroughs at the moment, but not a lot of grip on the singletrack. Really rate the rovals though, and they aren't particularly pricey.

westkipper
    Free Member

Currently Ksyrium elites, Conti Twister 37mm.
    Though gavtheoldskater's suggestion, is the combination I'll be going for next.

Edric64
    Free Member

Schwalbe landcruisers are the tyre of choice for many three peaks riders as they are bullet proof

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What rims/tyres on your cross bike?’ is closed to new replies.