Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • what rimstrip for Flow EX – same as normal Flow?
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

Just bough a Flow EX rim/wheel and was wondering whther the std Flow rimstrip is okay to use on the wider Flow EX rim. Anyone tried it?

I’m happy to just tape the rim up and run tubeless that way but I find the rimstrip approach is generally more reliable when using non-UST tyres.

nosedive
    Free Member

doesn’t flow EX have the new generation bead socket? I think it is supposed to me more reliable than the old one. might be worth giving the yellow tape another go.

as to your original question though….sorry, don’t know.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Yup, as well as being wider, the EX has larger diameter bench (internal flats) and new bead socket to better hold the tyre.

They are wider internally so I suspect the Flow rimstrip would not function properly, if at all, due to the tyre beads seating wider.

I just set up my EX tubless with yellow tape and tubeless ready Hans Dampf – tyres were easier to seat, sealed better than Flows (Flows needed compressor, these went with track pump) and no burping issues on the first ride despite pushing quite hard at slightly lower pressures.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Ta. I’ll just tape them up then – lighter that way too.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

What tyres? I reckon tape will be OK.

They ride nicely too, the extra width gives a great tyre profile.

FuzzyWuzzy

Standard Flows only ever needed tape as well though?

toons
    Free Member

Do you find fitting tires to the flow ex’s a nightmare? Because I do!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Standard Flows could be run with just tape but a rimstrip allowed harder riding at lower pressures, especially on non UST tyre, and no burping.

Tyres fitted easily to my Flow EX by hand, no levers. Depends on tyre though.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Never had a problem getting tyres on old Flows. Dual ply/single ply/LUST Maxxis.
    No problem on Flow EX either so far. Dual ply 2.5″ Maxxis.
    Both went on by hand and inflated with track pump.

Yellow tape & valve only in both cases.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

It’s going to be on the front with a Maxxis HR2 2.4 EXO.

I’ve run the old Flows in the past with just tape but did get occasional blow-offs (?) with std tyres, as the rim wall isn’t very high, so found the rimstrip approach more reliable.

I’ll give it a go with just the tape and see how that works.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘what rimstrip for Flow EX – same as normal Flow?’ is closed to new replies.