Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What rims my Mavic 717's are too narrow
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

I need bigger rims what do you folk recomend 717's are just too narrow

DT or what ever any advice greatfully recieved

KevinPP
    Free Member

Flows.

colande
    Free Member

719's 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Budget? Use?

719's are basically just a 2mm wider version of the 717, with a little more strength. Very good all round rim.

Stans Flows would be nice, if a little expensive though.

13thfloormonk

WTB Laserdisc Trail, 26mm wide or something daft but seems relatively light, and is designed to make ghetto tubeless a bit easier (big shoulders to hold the bead).

These came stock on my Marin Rocky Ridge and since fitting some fat tyres (2.4s) I've not looked back, perfect wheels for anything rough.

saladdodger
    Free Member

budget Stans are a lot OTT

use, well I do tend to explore the limits of my performace envelope and crash too regularly

XC realy tbh

yep 719's do look like the business for me I use 2.25 RR and NN are my tyres

WTB Laserdisc Trail, 26mm wide or something daft but seems relatively light, and is designed to make ghetto tubeless a bit easier (big shoulders to hold the bead).

good call I am doing the ghetto bit to

PJM1974
    Free Member

719s are a good start. They're wider, stronger and weigh about 460 grammes or so.

specializedneeds

ZTR Crest or Alpine.
    Lighter than 717, 21mm internal width, tubless ready and if you believe the low height bead hook hype just plain better 🙂

MaryHinge
    Free Member

823s UST

njee20
    Free Member

ZTR Crest, worth the money.

Del

Andy,
    hope you are well. the wtbs are ok – have them on my 5, but tyres seem not to seat too easily ( kendas ), and give a bit of wobble ( i've pumped the ba5tards up to nearly 100psi to get them to seat, too! ). 719s would be my vote.

james
    Free Member

Bear in mind when a XC717 and XM719 have 17 and 19mm internal widths (XM719 is 24mm external), a DT Swiss (EX 5.1D) may be quoted as having a 28mm outer width which looks massive when its not actually that much bigger

What tyres are you hoping to run (that don't 'work' on your XC717s)?
    For eg an XM719 IMO doesn't support a 2.25" Maxxis/2.5" Maxxis (they're the same volume, a 2.25" is much bigger than a 2.35", 2.4" is bigger than a 2.5"), a 2.35" Kenda, 2.3" Specialized, 2.35" Bontrager .. that well, they're fine for occasional use, but I don't think they're best compromise if you want to use them all the time. Something with a width more like 26 or 28mm (External) would be better I reckon

EDIT: just read you use 2.25" Schwalbe's, XM719s should be okay. Make sure you go for the XM719 disc's over the XM719s as they're lighter, and look better ..

zaskar
    Free Member

Depends on tyre size you want and what you are doing.

I bought 719s as I want something more burly than (XC) 717 and larger tyre size with a bit more weight for harder riding.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Another 719 vote here.

I_Ache
    Free Member

521s I have the 721s and they are great the 521s are a bit lighter so could be better for you.

saladdodger
    Free Member

719's it is ta folks, I must be honest I did not think of em 😳

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What rims my Mavic 717's are too narrow’ is closed to new replies.