Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What rims for road/cross disc use?
  • slparsons
    Free Member

I’m considering some new wheels for the Croix de Fer I put together.

I’m looking at H and Sons archetype rims as the best option. Anyone got any experience with these?

Ideally I’d like something lighter like Stans Iron Cross but they are only rated to 45 psi which excludes them from road use.

Cheers

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Archetypes, run tubeless. I’m tempted to say, ‘end of thread’.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m running Hope Hoops with Iron Cross as CX wheels and a set of Novatevh hubs with Archetype rims as road wheels on my Pro6.
    They’re both decent sets of wheels but I think the Hope/ Stans wheels are a bit lighter.
    I’ve had no problems with either wheelset 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    reggiegasket
    Free Member

just to add, I have three sets.
    One is on my best roadie with 25mm Fusion3 tubeless on Tune hubs
    Two is on my commuter with 28mm Sector tubeless on Hope hubs
    Three is my offroad/CX wheelset with Vittoria CX tubeless on Hope hubs

All are solid. As said the Stans will be lighter but I’ve not had the best reliability myself with Stans rims.

Jamie
    Free Member

They’re both decent sets of wheels but I think the Hope/ Stans wheels are a bit lighter.

Is this an off the peg wheelset, or custom built? I currently have Kinesis CXd wheels, but looking at going for something tubeless ready.

p.s sorry for thread hijack, OP.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m running Hope Hoops Crest 29ers, tubeless. Only slightly wider than the Iron Cross and they seem quite happy with an indicated 60psi in Bontrager CX0s 34×700. Nice tyre profile with 34 and 38s, I wouldn’t want to fit narrow road slicks though

woody2000

I thought you could disregard the pressure rating if you’re using tubes? Are you tubed or tubeless OP?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve run 29er Crests before (the ones with poor reliability I mentioned) and slicks and CX tyres were stupidly tight, so my advice is avoid for road work.

slparsons
    Free Member

I’m running tubes and would like to use tyres as small as 28mm inflated to at least 80psi, possibly more.

BadlyWiredDog

All are solid. As said the Stans will be lighter but I’ve not had the best reliability myself with Stans rims.

What happened? I’m running Crest 29ers without any issues at all, tubeless with two layers of tape and Bontrager CX0 700×34 and 700×38. I get that they’re tight with some tyres and I wouldn’t try fitting a bona fide tubeless road or cross tyre, but that’s the only issue I’ve had with them.

tang
    Free Member

Hplus are fantastic for road/cx mix wheel set. I keep the crests for off road only.

jonk
    Free Member

I’m running crests / hope pro 2 with 35c cx comps and panaracer Ribmo’s tubeless no issues here.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I ran the Crest on road and I had problems with the ‘eyelets’ cracking. It’s only one rear rim though, so I’m not making a big deal about it. Hope Hoops replaced it under warranty but I’d be wary to run one on the road again, as it’s not what the rim is designed for.

Daffy

I’m running my Iron Cross rims at 60 PSI and have been for over a year.

slparsons
    Free Member

What about using road tyres on these DT Swiss X470 rims?

birdage

Open Pros?

paulevans
    Free Member

I recently got myself a pair of Light Bicycle disc specific carbon wheels on Novatech hubs. The rims are 50mm section but others are available. And mine do not have any rim braking surface. Weight? Just over 1400 grams. Price? Pretty sure they ended up around £500 delivered. Used them for this years Fred Whitton and they performed faultlessly. Very impressed with them and they accelerate quickly due to lack of rim weight.

slparsons
    Free Member

The Mavic Open Pros have machined braking surfaces, I’m using Discs.

mattsccm
    Free Member

why not look at 29er rims as well?
    Check pressures of course

scotroutes

And the downside of machined braking surfaces is?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Archetypes are heavvvy.. Buy my Pacenti CL-25s!
    420g each. Tubeless ready. No max pressure. Still in the wrappers. £105.
    I’d run minimum 28mm tyres on them, but you haven’t rolled properly until you’ve rolled on 28s!

teasel
    Free Member

And the downside of machined braking surfaces is?

Image, I’d say. We all know about that aspect of choosing components etc., don’t we…

Luckily he doesn’t have to compromise – Open Pros come in a non-machined version, too. Happy days.

senorj

They also do the open pro with a charcoal/grey braking surface.
    I have them .tough rims.

slparsons
    Free Member

I’ve just seen the Open Pro’s with dark braking surface (which I didn’t know were available), Mavic recommend max tyre size as 28mm.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

I’m running tubes and would like to use tyres as small as 28mm inflated to at least 80psi, possibly more.

I’ve got Iron Cross’ and currently running 700×25 Durano’s (I could have sworn they were 28’s and they were an absolute bastard to get on, think worse than comp 16’s on DH rims tight!) at 80psi and I don’t think I’ve died yet?

My plan though is to eventually get a cheap pair of rims for the commute and some decent tubeless cx tyres for the Stan’s.

edited to add: that’s 80psi with tubes.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Open Pros are nice but narrow (15mm inner width) by modern standards. I have used 28mm knobblies on them with no problems. I run 25mm tyres on 19mm inner width rims. Great. I also use 30mm Challenge Strada Bianca’s on them. Both go up 1.7mm from quoted size. Got some Pacenti CL25s to be built up as well. I don’t know how big your bike will take as regards tyre with but you might as well have rims that let you use them.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I’ve been using Iron Cross with 25c Duranos at 80-100psi (tubed) for months.
    I wouldn’t go with a narrower tyre though, 28c would be better.

scotroutes

I’ve been using 35c Maxxis Raze on Open Pros with no issues. IIRC, cynic-al has gone even wider.

antigee

for road on my drop bar hybrid (AKA cx stylee gravel racer) got a set of wheels with Velocity A23 disc specific rims

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/a23-622

this tech blurb doesn’t give widest – run mine with 25mm clinchers and tubes and pretty happy with them – looked at some 29er rims but though I know people do it wasn’t keen on running tyres narrower than they specify

bought mine as a made up wheelset from US from these people but currently in Aus’ so no VAT or duty for me 🙂

http://www.amazon.com/Handspun-Peloton-Cross-6-Bolt-Velocity/dp/B005GRRBWW

senorj

Mavic recommend max tyre size as 28mm.

I use schwalbe cheapo wire rim 35mm tyres. Work fine.

paul78
    Free Member

Speak to Strada wheels about Ryde rims.

Sure the Ryde tubeless cx rim is 340g a rim 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the Ryde rims are narrow too, like the venerable open pro. Once you tried the wider rims, like the Archetype then narrow ones lose their lustre. Go wide.

convert

Velocity A23 rims here for this use too. 2 years of faultless performance. I use them with 28mm duranos and a 35mm cross tyre (forget which). All good.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What rims for road/cross disc use?’ is closed to new replies.