Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • what rim to use?
  • jimithenomad
    Free Member

can anyone suggest what rim i should build up around my king hubs? i currently have them on a mavic 721 with 203mm hope mono m4 floating rotors.I want to go lighter, i weigh a lardy 15 stone, the bike is a nomad and gets ridden all over the uk at trail centres and on natural terrain and does an annual pilgrimage to the alps. I am not an air bandit but on occasion the wheels leave the ground. I currently run fairly heavy tubes, and steel bead high rollers and was thinking of going for xc tubes and folding bead tyres to shed a bit more rolling weight. someone even suggested tubeless, thoughts please , my main riding spot is swinley but i want something to stand up to wales scotland and the alps and my weight!

mboy
    Free Member

At 15 stone, and on a long travel bike that goes to the Alps once a year, I really wouldn’t consider going for lightweight rims.

You could consider the Mavic EN521, which is basically a disc specific version of the 721. It’s about 10% lighter, so a pair is going to save you about 50g per rim. Not enormous savings though! Anything lighter and you’ll bend/break it quite quickly I reckon.

As far as everything else is concerned though. For general UK riding, yes, consider changing to Kevlar beaded tyres. Keep the Dual Plys for use in the Alps.

DEFINITELY consider going tubeless. More so for the lack of punctures than the weight benefit, but if you’re running heavy DH tubes at the mo, you’ll lose a load of weight anyway, and not compromise on pinch puncture resistance. You’ve got loads of options, but as a UST user for years, can highly reccomend the proper UST rims as being the best way. Though having recently converted a wheel (mavic EN521) to run ghetto tubeless myself recently, it has to be said it’s not as much of a faff as I was expecting. Certainly it’s also cheaper than the Stan’s route, though Stan’s is also proven and effective. Tubeless is the way forward for definite, whichever way you go.

If your main riding spot is Swinley though, I’d be inclined to leave the Nomad exactly as it is, and buy something else for riding at Swinley. Leave the Nomad for going to the Alps, or Wales etc. Get a steel hardtail or something for Swinley. It’s the best way to bring the enjoyment back to terrain that whilst interesting, is a little flat if we’re honest!

auricgoldfinger

Stan’s Flow Rims? Big enough to take a big tyre, yet still reasonably light. Just built some up on my Kings as it goes (but yet to ride them). Set-up tubeless too. As it goes my main riding spot is Swinley (living in Crowthorne), not that that has anything to do with your rims! Anyway, Mountain Trax have the Stans Rims if you’re interested. You should take a look at 2.4 single ply Maxxis Advantages on them-might not be too great on the rocks, but would doubtless be better than for most of your riding I would think (and easily set-up tubeless on the Stans).

jimithenomad
    Free Member

funny you should say that about the hardtail i have been considering a pace 305 or cotic soul for a while now, but having recently tried my mates cotic befe i dont know if i can go back to a hardtail. Maybe i need to book a few demos and go to work on the wife about needing another bike!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Your bike, weight and riding sound very similar to mine and I’m very happy with my Stan’s Flow rims so far.

devs
    Free Member

Tubs are very fast apparently.

jimithenomad
    Free Member

haha i dont beleive this, the person who recomended i try tubeless was in fact chris at moutain trax on those very rims! you’re not on comission are you? Also living in finchampstead and riding swinley in the morning from about 8am, maybe see you there? and thanks

auricgoldfinger

Jim – Chris is a top bloke, built my wheels up too – not commission, just the occasional bit of discount 😉

I’ll be out tomorrow on an iron glimmer DW Turner 5 Spot in the morning, so indeed, may see you there! Should be a great morning for a ride over there

Cheers!

jimithenomad
    Free Member

i know chris fairly well he is a top bloke and built my nomad for me a few years ago, and looks after me very well. I just was not sure on the options and due to time constraints have not really had the time to discuss this with him. When we did touch on this subject this is the first thing he suggested ,so now i have to get myself in there and sort it out , after all the response i have had has guide me that way. Thanks again

auricgoldfinger

No problem – funnily enough I had a Nomad off him too, some years ago (incessant bike swapper, sold it last year to someone on here).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘what rim to use?’ is closed to new replies.