Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What replacement for my Scandal.?
  • medlow
    Free Member

I love my On One Scandal. Its built up with trick lightweight parts, rigid with light 26er rims.
    Its done the lot, commute, rigid, front suss and single speed.

But it might be time for a change. I feel a need for a dropper so the slim seat tube is limiting and the ever decreasing numbers of straight 1.8th forks too.

Id be looking to build again with the same parts, so ideally a 26′ wheeled frame. Im too short for 29ers anyhow.
    And 2nd hand as I’m a cheapskate.
    Roughly the same ride geo and not a heavy weight, must be light.

So what should I be searching for in the classifieds/ebay etc.?

damascus
    Free Member

The Scandal is a great bike, I regret selling mine.

I’m sure on one was selling off 26 inch inbreds at a ridiculously cheap price. If you are lucky you might get a bargain.

nuke

Carbon 456

Or get a Scandal V2 (which is what i have albeit 29er…well actually i have a carbon 456 as well but its in the loft somewhere)

whatgoesup

How about an on-one Whippet? Same (or similar) geometry to the Scandal but likely to be more compatible with modern components.

I had one once (a whippet that is), it was great – sold it as I wanted to go 29er but I still regret selling it.

medlow
    Free Member

I’ve heard that story a lot. People who sell the scandal regret it. Mine is a brushed v2 26 and it’s great.

I don’t think the inbred will move me forward with ‘standards’ as it’s the same headtube and seat tube as the scandal. No?

I thought the whippet was more racey in geo.? The head angle on the scandal is just right and I deffo do not want to go steeper.

Let me research the whippet some more.

demelitia
    Free Member

I think the Whippet had a slacker head angle than the Scandal.

I also had one, it’s a great frame. Not the lightest carbon one around but more than capable of a sub 10kg bike pretty easily.
    The only problem I can see is getting hold of one if you’re after a 16″ frame. They’re like hens teeth precisely because they take 26″ wheels. I think people buy them to put their old but Gucci kit on for their spawn.
    It took me months to get hold of one when I was in a similar position. When I came to sell if before Christmas it didn’t hang around long.

If you’re after an 18″ frame, there’s a dreamer chancer seller on eBay wanting £432.89 + p&p for one….

MrPottatoHead

Well I personally hate my Scandal. Compared to the frame it replaced (’98 S-Works) it feels totally dead. I’ve no idea why I still have it, apart from being too thrifty to replace it.

medlow
    Free Member

Well I personally hate my Scandal. Compared to the frame it replaced (’98 S-Works) it feels totally dead

Wow. I have never heard that before. Mine feels far from dead.!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Mine is reserved for family rides these days as I enjoy my ti456 too much but every time I ride I’m reminded of how good it is.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve still got my scandal frame, it was a really good all round hardtail. Don’t know if I would regret selling it but it’s unlikely to get used now.

I was in your situation a couple years ago and bought a mk3 cotic soul frame so I could swap all the bits over and get some tapered forks and a dropper post.

The cotic is a brilliant bike, easily the best hardtail I’ve owned 8)

chilled76
    Free Member

Ive just stripped a carbon whippet. Sub 3lb with the same geometry as the scandal

18″ you can have it for £100 plus postage and I’ll include an xt front mech, headset and seatclamp for that

medlow
    Free Member

so I could swap all the bits over and get some tapered forks and a dropper post.

Exactly my plan.!

18″ you can have it

I need 16″ 😥 Shortarse here.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What replacement for my Scandal.?’ is closed to new replies.