Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • what reliable estate for £1500..?
  • T1000
    Free Member

I recommended the Stream as it shares most of it DNA with a cockroach they really are very robust and over looked like the Nissan Almera

jp-t853

Mrs jp has had a Honda stream for eight years and refuses to let it go. in that time the Honda badge came off the front, one suspension link arm has been replaced and two front brake calipers. bad points are 34 mpg, heavy on front tyres and brakes. they only sold 2000 in the UK so new parts do not exist but everything is cheap from breakers. huge inside with flexible seating. pretty fast and smooth.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if Streams don’t have parts considering they share Mk7 Civic DNA. As said the K20 engine (not to be confused with teh abyssmal Rover K series) is thirsty but common as dog muck so parts won’t be a bother there. My Civic of similar vintage, although having just had a fairly expensive intervention (whole front suspension minus springs and ARB parts) has been nothing if not reliable and fairly easy on the bills if you nip things in the bud early (back caliper sliders) and don’t scrimp on replacements (mid range Eurocarparts stuff from OE suppliers is best bet).

Another contender, if you want diesel economy without modern hassle of requiring long runs, would be a Rover 75/ MG ZT-T with the BMW diesel. I was seriously considering one as a stop-gap banger but lack of ISOFIX was a dealbreaker in my case. You’ll get them cheap as chips and I have heard of a few people happy with theirs despite the image they have.

costello
    Free Member

you can have my 2005 vauxhall signum,perfect boot size,very reliable,lots of fun with a 24 valve 3.2 v6 engine and only 1000 english pounds

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Another contender, if you want diesel economy without modern hassle of requiring long runs, would be a Rover 75/ MG ZT-T with the BMW diesel

Agree but with a few caveats. I bought a ZT-T after advice in a STW thread. Ran well, handled brilliantly and returned 47mpg. Lovely car. Loads of cool extras like a programmable diesel heater to defrost it in the morning. Constantly had to replace suspension components and cracked 2 18″ alloys. After 3yrs got fed up replacing bits and moved on. A mate has a 75 estate and that has needed fuel pumps replacing. Despite this, they’re decent enough cars.

A4 and Passat attract too much of a premium. C5s are horrid IMO (Had 2 of them – never again) even though I like Citroens in general.

Skoda Octavia TDi is the one to get – with a decent SH, cambelt done and regular oil changes. Most of my Eastern European friends seem to drive them – and they seem to be fairly sensible about where their money goes.

allfankledup

To do what?

How often do you need a car, what mileage will it do, to carry what, what running costs etc ?

Otherwise I’d say hire car

yunki
    Free Member

sgonna be used a lot

daily use in town/schoolrun with longer jaunts every weekend

I’m gonna embrace it

orangeboy
    Free Member

My golf mk4 tdi is a pain always somthing wrong with it.
    Fixed the abs for the mot ( only two wheel sensors ) rather than the steering angle fault that kept coming up as a code

Now is pissing diesel from the tandum pump and and loseing power steering fluid slowly

2004 with 160000 miles and full history
    Dmf is sounding less happy too

When it works I like it but I’d not buy another tdi for a cheap run about , petrol next time for me

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘what reliable estate for £1500..?’ is closed to new replies.