Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What relatively tough, non-boutique "all-mountain" full susser frame?
  • Aristotle
    Free Member

As per title, I’m thinking of going back to a full susser after years with only hardtails.

I like to ride rough, rocky, jumpy trails, would also like to be able to pedal it up hill.

My current bike is a Kona Stuff with Mavic D321 rims & fat tyres, so something quite tough like that or a bit lighter-duty with full suspension would be good.

The plan would be to transfer my current parts over to the new (used) frame as far as possible.

I’m not bothered about buying a ’boutique’ brand.

Suggest me a suitable frame from the past few years.

Cheers.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Hecklers are reliable and plentiful second hand.

jimw
    Free Member

Turner 5-spot?

tall_martin

Giant reign?

I like mine in the peaks and round trail centers:)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pitch (spesh always feel ‘dead’ to me though, but that could be a setup thing)

Trance-x (tried the trance, anthem-x and reighn-x and loved them all)

grumm
    Free Member

Pitch (love mine), Remedy, Meta 5 (though they seem to be unfashionable since all the cracking stories) out of the ones I’ve ridden. Zestys look quite nice too.

Trance X is good value.

tomhughes46

Kona Howler might be quite like your Stuff

StuE
    Free Member

Depends or your budget, I have an 05 Trance and an 05 Reign and much prefer the Trance,bigger budget would buy you a newer lighter frwme.

chakaping
    Free Member

Pitch and Reign look good value as s/h frames.

Reign (2008 onwards) is very light too.

backhander
    Free Member

Trek remedy?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Remedy or Reign. IME Giants tend to be under-forked and the Reign goes best with a 160mmish fork, the TranceX 140mmish and the Trance (100mm travel) 120mmish. That’s something to consider if looking to balance a new frame with your current fork.

kimbers

kona dawg would make sense all the bits from the stuff will fit, seatpost, front mech etc and plenty tough too
    06-07 5inch aluminium, 08 slightly lighter in scandium,

leggyblonde
    Free Member

A giant trance x or reign with bigger forks than factory. pedal very well and can take a beating

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Marin Wolf Ridge/Attack Trail are pretty cheap 2nd hand, plenty strong, and ride great too. Bit slack but that sounds like what you want.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Spesh Pitch. That’s all there is to it. 🙂

mikertroid
    Free Member

Pitch. Remedy. Five.

jfeb
    Free Member

Its boutique but cheap(er) – how about the Hustler that CRC is doing for a grand.

ianv
    Free Member

saracen arial

MrSmith
    Free Member

trance-X (with 140’s)

juan
    Free Member

next year kona cadabra, scott genius, meta 5 or orange 5 all non boutique and all very nice bikes.

mangoridebike

Cannondale Prophet, no longer made but fit your requirement perfectly.

I’m selling my old one (frame) if you fancy a cheaper introduction to fe than buying new.

Trekster

I like my 05 Kona Dawg Primo but it has been unused for a year since I got my Blue Pig 🙄
    19in frame for sale if you fancy it?

I fancy this; http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Covert.cfm
    Steve at Ae bike shop has/had one built up and it looks the d.b`s imo

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for Marin Wolf Ridge / Attack Trail.

JRTG
    Free Member

Trekster, YHM

takisawa2

Not sure what price level constitutes “boutique” but Ventana’s El-Ciclon is simply excellent. Very tough, super stiff but still builds into a nice light bike for pedalling back up again.

Trekster

JRTG – Member
    Trekster, YHM

YGM back 😮

Aristotle
    Free Member

Cheers.

What are the differences between the Kona Coiler and the Dawg?

ahwiles
    Free Member

coiler = heavier/tougher, it will go uphill, but only so it can go down again.

dawg = lighter, better for riding uphills, still good down.

i was never a fan of ‘new*’ kona bikes, but a quick spin on a new Dawg won me over, they’re excellent.

Aristotle
    Free Member

What length fork does a Coiler/Dawg require?

asherh
    Free Member

Dawgs are 140mm, not sure about Coiler but I would guess 150-160mm. My Dawg deluxe takes the hits nicely despite weighing sub 30lb

si-wilson
    Free Member

We are about to drop the price on the Chumba xcl frames to £899. Proper 4 bar suspension, tough as but still builds to 30lb with sensible kit.

Trekster

yet another review[url=http://bikemag.com/gear/bikes/010706_kona_dawg_primo_mountain_bike_review/]link to Dawg info and spec[/url]

Think/sure Dawg(05)is 130mm. Weighed in at 30lb or so new with XT hubs,XT mechs & shifters, Hayes carbon brakes, WTB seat and Race Face everything else. Only weakness that year was crap wheel builds/spokes. All sorted nae bother by lbs under warranty

btw..Mates has sold Coiler

Pics tomorrow once I have been up in loft and found frame 🙄

asherh
    Free Member

snotrag

I’ve had a couple that those criteria.

Giant Reign – fantastic suspension action. Early ones work brill but a tad heavy and poor shock choice. Later ones are pretty light to boot. These are stonking value though – usually some 2nd hand about for < £400. Tough as boots too.

Heckler – Current and previous model are great bikes – again – cheap, tough. I particularly like running a coil shock 9dhx5) on mine – it makes it super plush. Again – built like brick shit-house and not TOO heavy.

Loads around 2nd hand aswell – much more so than Fives etc.

Brand new ones down to £900 now too which is great.

Mike-E

Any excuse…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What relatively tough, non-boutique "all-mountain" full susser frame?’ is closed to new replies.