Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What reasonably light 29er trail wheels ??
  • dickie
    Free Member

I need a new pair of 29er wheels, tubeless ready.

Current favourites are American Classic 29 Wide Lightening, 1569g, around £480 on line.

Also considering a custom build, Hope pro 4’s on LightBicycle carbon rims at around 1650g, approx. £550.

What else is worth a look?

Anyone used carbon rims cheaper than LB?

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve used these, but they do a more trail version.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BeadlessHookless-29er-XC-light-bike-rim-27mm-width-24mm-deep-tubeless-compatible-/252445236387?hash=item3ac6e89ca3:g:gm4AAOSwc3ZUmjAn

They took a while to come but arrived safe and sound, weight was as described and look and finish was spot on. Built up nicely and have been on the bike for a year now with no problems. Impossible for me to say if their as good as LB rims but they seem to be doing the job and are probably going to be nearly £50+ a rim cheaper after vat and duty.

mboy
    Free Member

Impossible for me to say if their as good as LB rims

Looking at the cross sectional diags, they are just the previous generation LB rims.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonnyrockymountain

I do like my wide lightenings, had AM classic hubs for about 4 years now on various builds and like them a lot, also look at mavic’s crossmax SL pro

dickie
    Free Member

Any sale bargins about?

nickdavies

Can you live with green hubs? Decent set of 29er rims on bike-discount, oem dtswiss wheels for £300 look like spline ones from a couple of years ago. Look great for the money if you can live with the hub colour, the decals peel off…

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/dt-swiss-csw-ma-3.9-15mm-x12-wheelset-594152

hamishthecat

I’d look at these, assuming 142×12 meets your needs:

Syntace

Edit: Actually, a bit heavy now I look again – 2005g.

dickie
    Free Member

Thanks but thats too heavy for me.

ronburgundy

I am selling a pair of XT hubbed (15mm front/142 rear) on the Mk2 Stans Crest rims. Barely had any use as they were my spare wheels and want around £200 for them…

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve been running a set of American classics wide lightening for a while now and apart from replacing a few broken spokes they have been great.

My new frame which is on order is boost so my 142 won’t fit which is a bit if a pain.

SirHC

Currently having a set of Crests built up on Pro2’s, should come out at less than 1700g, will be used for XC riding.

Hope Pro 4 on Arches, circa 1800g. Going to be used for trail/heavier riding.

Could save a bit of weight going to DT Hubs and carbon rims, but cheaper to save weight on me first!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What reasonably light 29er trail wheels ??’ is closed to new replies.