Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What really small, but really bright lights (for child's bike)?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

It’ll not be long until the ride to/from school will be done in murky/dark conditions. The cheapy silicon lights my lad used last year have dissappeared, so I need to get him some more.

I liek the idea of the silicon bodied ones, but want to make sure he’s lit up liek a christmas tree.

Options so far are Raleigh RSP, 100 Lumen Cree, USB rechargable:

DX special:

Or simply a pair of little silicone lights:

(and obviously matching back light)
    Bizarre that for the same money as the Raleigh one, I could get a dodgy solarstom alleged 5000Lumen beast, but it would mean carrying the extra weight of the battery!

MoreCashThanDash

If it’s just to be seen, these:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/LISMRTMINI/smart_mini_led_light_set

I use them as helmet lights for commuting, but really great lights for the money

To actually see on a dark lane, something torch like off ebay…..

benp1

Get a Smart rear light, most impressive. Either the R1 or R2

For front lights I can’t comment as I’m using the silicone ones and a torch mount for a normal torch, not the smallest or child friendly

sweaman2
    Free Member

Does the commute include dark lanes or is it all urban?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

All urban, although sometimes across an unlit park.

cynic-al
    Free Member

100 lumens sounds pretty good.

Cateye Volt 50 for 50 at the back?

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

The lezyne lights are pretty good – I use a FEMTO rear and a MICRO-DRIVEfront.
    The micro drive is charged via USB has a 5 settings , at least one of which will be strong enough for the unlit park.
    Both fit on and off really easy – so are easy to stick in pocket/bag while in the bike shed.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Aldi have a set of lights (LED torch and rear) on offer on Thursday.
    I used a set all last winter and they worked in all weathers no problems.
    May be worth getting a couple of sets.
    There are also arm/ankle reflectors with lights which are particularly effective as other traffic can see that you are a cyclist by the movement.
    You can even get some microlights on elastic bands to attach to bags., helmets, etc.

Now traded up to a MTB Batteries Lumenator and Moon Comet. I highly rate both and they are bright and controllable enough to be used all year round.

robbieh
    Free Member

I could get a dodgy solarstom alleged 5000Lumen beast, but it would mean carrying the extra weight of the battery!

definitely not one of those, far to bright to give a child to aim at other road users. I switch mine off when I come on road from the woods as I don’t want to blind an oncoming car. Superb light.

pdw
    Free Member

Smart R1 is bright, but has terrible waterproofing. For rear lights, Moon Shield 60 is even brighter, USB chargeable, and I’ve not had any issues with water ingress.

neninja
    Free Member

I got one of the PDW Dangerzone rear lights from Charliethebikemonger last year and have been very impressed with it. It seems really weather proof and incredibly bright.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What really small, but really bright lights (for child's bike)?’ is closed to new replies.