• This topic has 47 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by lorax.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • What really light and easy to shift shifters?
  • lorax

Sorry to be a numpty but what’s dual control? 9 speed is fine!

T1000
    Free Member

Dual control mtb shifters use the brake levers in an up an down motion like drop bar sti ones

They didn’t catch on and shimano dropped them as a product several years ago ( I really liked them, they are a love or hate product) were available for cable or hydraulic disc brakes

If you want to try some double taps my 9 speed set are sitting unused in the garage

lorax

Thanks T1000 – how much do you want for the double taps? My email address is in my profile…

mogrim

Does it have to be 10 speed? Maybe 9 speed dual control shifters would do the job?

I was just going to suggest the same, if you can get hold of some second hand they’d be ideal (IMO) as you don’t use your thumbs to change.

A battered dual shifter (first photo I found on google image search):

The whole brake unit hinges up/down when you push on the brake lever from above or below.

scotroutes

There’s no reason you can’t run a double ring up front and an Alfine rear.

Or – I have a set of XT 760 Dual Control shifters if you want to try them. Not sure how (if) they would work with your Magura Brakes but they both use mineral oil so it’s a possibility.

lorax

Thanks Mogrim and scotroutes. I hadn’t thought about the brake problem with dual control, but having just done some quick searching it looks as if the two systems are incompatible (one is open and the other is closed), and I really can’t give up on the HS33s. The bike is a Roberts Roughstuff so I can’t fit disc brakes to it without major modifications, and while it’s currently a pain to change gears after a long days riding I can at least do so, whereas on my old v-brakes I was ending up finding it hard to stop when going downhill because of losing grip.

I’m going to get new cables and outers all round, and a new left hand trigger shifter (in place of my old SRAM Rocket) which it seems should be a Shimano R441 to go with my Shimano R453. I need the R453 front mech as it has the range to go with my Ultegra triple, and allows trimming – I’d forgotten about that until just now.

If I can buy T1000’s double taps I’ll give them a go as well. If none of that helps I’ll take a closer look at my Di2 options, but it’s crazy money so I’ll avoid that if I can 🙂

T1000
    Free Member

How about £25 +postage I’ll email over some pictures etc (they are in excellent condition)

lorax

T1000 – sorry, I’ve been away and offline. That sounds great thanks! Could you email me with your details please, my address is under my profile. Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘What really light and easy to shift shifters?’ is closed to new replies.