Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What rate for my brickie?
  • totalshell

having a small single storey extansion built at the rear of modern redrow detached house, 4m x 4m instead of a conservatory large window each side with bifolding door to front and hipped roof with velux type windows.

was quoted 30k job done by two local builders ( one lives on our street)

i ve dug the foundations 600 x 400 and had piling and ring beam put in checked by building control and then concreted.

i m now at the stage where i need the brickwork doing up to floor level so i can pour the ‘slab’

5 layers of brick internally and two of block.laying on the prepared and level concrete.. i m supplying all materials.

i believe that the work should take a loong day or a day and a half. had one guy round last night he wanted 500 quid two coming tonight .. what price is reasonable north west.. just outside rochdale?

500 isnt off the scale but is a bit rich i think.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Not quite sure of the quants. Are you just building the inner leaf at the moment? Or is it two leafs with a cavity?

totalshell

two leafs and a cavity.. 12 metres of brick 5 layers high 12 metres of block two layers high..

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Brickies (even not very good ones) are in high demand at the moment so they can ask whatever they want. He’ll need someone to knock up for him as well.

nealglover
    Free Member

A team of two for a day and a half. £500 seems cheap to me.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So on price

Block would be 80 quid ish
    Brick would be 130 quid ish
    However there isn’t a lot to go at.
    That’s doable in a day by a price brickie.

Builders don’t work on half days so would be charging 2 days labour. With the second being a very steady day so 500 is steep for oop north.
    I’d be thinking 360/400 max.
    Can I ask why 5 course of brick on the inner leaf and two block on the outer? Are you concreting up to the outer block and using it as a shutter?

redmex
    Free Member

Should only be a days work but depends how accurate your foundation pour is, 2 beds for the block is not much to play with so may need stihl saw work or slate.
    Two men probably, a one off job not a building site, weather may come into play etc
    A straight forward heating boiler swop you wont get any change off £500 for labour only and thats a days work

totalshell

straight forward combi swaps are 200 in Rochdale.. I do three a week at that money

wrightyson
    Free Member

Slate 😯

Speeder

What do you cost it at?

was quoted 30k job done by two local builders

You’re obviously saving a huge chunk and I think most builders can pick and choose at the moment why quibble over £100-150 if he can do it well at a time to suit you?

curvature
    Free Member

Interesting thread.

Just had planning permission for a 5x6m flat roof extension.

1 x set of (4 leaf) aluminium bifold doors, 2 aluminium roof lanterns, 5 floor to ceiling uPVC windows plus some steel to enlarge the current opening into the existing conservatory.

Just over £50k which I think is way too high. Doesn’t include kitchen, flooring or decoration!

tillydog
    Free Member

Who are you going to get to finish the wall?

That’s a small job for a brickie, but it’s got all the pissing around setting levels up. If you get someone else to finish it, they’ll put something on the price in case this hasn’t been done properly. Why don’t you get them to quote for all the work up to wall plate level? They’ll have a solid 4 or 5 days work then – maybe £1500??

They can get to floor level and break until you’ve laid the slab, then get them back.

You need to make sure you’ve got all the right stuff if you’re supplying it so you don’t hold them up (stuff like lintels, cavity closers, weep vents, etc.)

Going rate for *blockwork* was £10/m^2 about 10 years ago in N Wales. Brickwork was a bit dearer.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

Loads of sites advertising, everyone seems desperate for brickies at the mo. There are loads of people advertising 47p per brick, £1.30 a block and that is a big site with plant to move stuff to where you want it. These guys are going to have to stack out the bricks and blocks, mix and move their mortar etc etc 500 for a brickie and a labourer sounds reasonable to me. Day and a half / 2 days work it sounds like

wrightyson
    Free Member

There really isn’t that much to running the splash in. Folks going on about this that and the other. I could piss that solo in two days and I don’t lay regularly, is happily accept 400 quid. Nice little weekend number really.

redmex
    Free Member

Splash in ? Piss that ? What about bish bash bosh
    I thought Wayne from Auf Weidersehen also a member of the Heavy Metal Kids died years ago
    Painted on or tip joints are not accepted

jonahtonto
    Free Member

There we go, wrightyson will come do it on the weekend for you and you’ve saved £100. This place is such a resource

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What rate for my brickie?’ is closed to new replies.