Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What 'racey' hardtail
  • warton
    Free Member

After a lot of thought I’m probably going to sell my two road bikes, but a cheaper roasdbike and a ‘race’ hardtail for racing, and general mtb (probably 2 or 3 trail centre trips a year, and general trail / bridleway riding). so, the choices are (for about 1500 quid)

On one whippet – carbon frame, XT

Canyon – Grand canyon AL 8.0 – great kit, I love canyons.

any other options I’m missing? I can’t find anyhting else for this price, with the level of kit. I’ve been away from mtb for a few years, any new standards I should watch out for?

warton
    Free Member

no one? 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

29er, as you say Canyons are stonking value. ScottishBadger of this parish has one and it’s very impressive.

Otherwise… Lurcher, Scale 30, Superfly. Test a few. Not sure I’d buy a 26″ hardtail for racing these days.

If you’re not convinced then the Whippet frames for £250 look like a bargain.

j40aja
    Free Member

My bike if you can stretch you budget and it fits obviously!!!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/21-custom-carbon-hardtail

I looked at a Whippet before buying mine but was put of by the limitations of the front mech, nice looking frame though my mate had a 456carbon at the time.

2nd hand but nearly new/well loved bikes will always offer better value than new.

Cheers,

Alan.

warton
    Free Member

thats a beauty, but over my budget(depending on what my bikes sell for). What are the limitations with the front mech on the whippet?

njee, i have been considering a 29er, but been put off by the pure race tag they have, does ScottishBadger use, and enjoy his for general riding too?

flange
    Free Member

The front mech on a whippet is direct mount, meaning its likely that you’d need a new front mech – unless you’re buying a complete in which case its irrelevant.

As Njee mentioned though, unless you’re quite short of leg, I’d be thinking about a 29’er for racing on.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s not a massive issue either, there are direct mount mechs out there now, and they’re only getting more popular. Lack of chain guides may be a bigger problem if you were considering 1×10.

njee, i have been considering a 29er, but been put off by the pure race tag they have, does ScottishBadger use, and enjoy his for general riding too?

Yes, he does. Of the guys I ride with now (we all race) most of them are on 29ers, and all seem to prefer them, like I say, I’d definitely give one a go before buying. Not necessarily race only either.

cp

Highly rate scandals myself. Light frame, stiff but comfy – they ride really nicely. Take standard parts as well so no trauma with front mechs, chain rings rubbing on stays etc….

tomhughes
    Free Member

I am in a very similar position to you, I fancied having a nice light race bike and settled on the whippet with a second hand mix off XX/XO pro2/crest wheels etc and sids on the front, came out at about 1200 I think. But then I spoke to a friend and tried his 29er and loved it. I’m a tall bloke so I don’t know whether that had anything to do with it. The other thing that appealed to me was having one bike that should cover all/most bases. He’s taken his to most of the welsh trail centres and had a great time. Yeh you might be slightly better off with a full suss but its not necessary. If I had gone for the whippet I would have had that and a giant anthem, so not really a full bouncy bike anyway. This way with the 29er I can sell the giant. For me at the moment I don’t have the space for multiple bikes so I like the idea of only having one.
    I just hope I won’t regret getting a carbon framed 29er!

damo2576
    Free Member

Why is a 29’er more racey? (serious)

flange
    Free Member

Lack of chain guides may be a bigger problem if you were considering 1×10.

I’ve got the direct mount MRP and its pretty good. Much more sturdy than the BB mounted one I had before. And it hasn’t fallen apart like the E13 one I had

lindsay73
    Free Member

I have just bought cube reaction gtc pro. Carbon frame, XT rear mech, deore front mech, XT chainset , SLX shifters , Fox evolution forks, Formula RX brakes, Sun ringle wheels, 11.1 kg. £1449.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Merlin xlm, end of.

oh that’s if you can get hold of one, forgot that bit.

Garry_Lager

I got the whippet with X9 groupset for £1500 with a free pompino late last year – swayed by really needing a commuter at the time. Whippet is good – doubt you could get better value for money tbh for a race bike. Wheel upgrade to crests on proIIs and it’s game on.
    The thing that gets mentioned a lot with it is the press-fit bb, which creaks a lot for some folk (forget the spec of it, bb90?). Mine’s been fine tbh, but it’s maybe something to research if you’re looking at the whippet seriously.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What 'racey' hardtail’ is closed to new replies.