Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What race for an Enduro curious XC racer
  • gazhurst
    Free Member

So I think I quite fancy at having a go at and Enduro race but being a mediocre XC racer, my technical skills are left wanting!

Are there any suggestions for a race where I wont be massively out of my depth technically??

Rubber_Buccaneer

I am an incompetent novice so have entered Pedalhounds first race on 26 March and bought some cheap goggles from that Canyon sale.

There are six rounds in total around the South East but I think the first is sold out. They look like a good starting point with all levels and three goes at every stage

gazhurst
    Free Member

Oooo thanks, I’ll check that out….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tracey

Have a look at the PMBA events. They are first class and even have a lite class which has less stages

Northwind

Tweedlove is doing an entry level race this year- though tbh I think it might be pitched a bit low for you, it sounds like it’s going to be very red-routey. Wherabouts are you?

Thing is… It also depends what you really want from your day. Some of the absolute best races I’ve done were where I was out of my depth, the first kinlochleven enduro frinstance just felt like absolute madness to me- I’d never ridden stuff like it and I was so far out of my comfort zone it made for a really great day, triumph against adversity. But other folks hated it, for exactly the same reason.

Rubber_Buccaneer

PMBA do look good but I noticed gazhurst was part of the Staines Massive so they may be a bit far to travel

gazhurst
    Free Member

Tracey – Thanks, I’ll have a look at that

Northwind – I was at Afan a few weekends ago during the practice day for the Welsh Gravity Enduro race and rode a few of the stages (the final 2 descents of Blade). I’ve ridden them on a hardtail XC bike and didnt enjoy it but hitting it on a 150mm bike made me want to give a proper race a go. I loved it!!! I dont want it to replace XC racing, just something I can get something from without taking as serious as XC racing…if that makes sense?

Just had a look at the Pedalhounds races and they’re fairly local so could be a good option.

gazhurst
    Free Member

Rubber Buccaneer – I am indeed of the East Side. I don’t mind a bit of travelling but don’t fancy driving hundreds of miles just to stand at the top of a stage and weep my little heart out 😕

theotherjonv

and bought some cheap goggles from that Canyon sale.

or so you thought……

Rubber_Buccaneer

gazhurst, pedalhounds is an ideal starter I think. Relatively close and there is no practice so you can just turn up on the day without being at a disadvantage

or so you thought……

Already in my sticky little hands (sticky because I also bought two boxes of gels) 🙂

theotherjonv

is the extra bill in your hands yet too 😉

jimob
    Free Member

The Boltby Bash near Thirsk might be worth a look. Cracking stages and a fun weekend on your bike. You can even camp there on the farm that’s stages the event.

mboy
    Free Member

Check out the Mini Enduro series

4 races, 2 @ FoD, 1 BPW and 1 Llandegla, but all are beginner friendly so to speak.

Great series, very well run and very good fun. There will be some stuff to challenge you, but at the same time nothing that you can’t get off and walk if you didn’t feel inclined to ride it for whatever reason.

Can’t recommend the series enough.

scottfitz
    Free Member

*Shameless plug*

5 races across the south in 2017.
    http://southernenduro.co.uk/

Plus QECP Day & Night enduro (14th May) Original idea for this race was STW generated, http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/gravity-enduro-at-night, it’s in it 4th year now 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

Plus QECP Day & Night enduro (14th May)

Are the entries open and if so what site?

Relax, I’ve found the details. moredirt.com from 9am 11th March 🙂

and I think you mean Sat 13 May

scottfitz
    Free Member

Plus QECP Day & Night enduro (14th May)

Are the entries open and if so what site?

Relax, I’ve found the details. moredirt.com from 9am 11th March

and I think you mean Sat 13 May

I will get on to moredirt to add more info, yes sorry Race is on Saturday 13th May. Free camping Friday and Saturday night. Beer tent Saturday night too 🙂

and yes goes on sale 9am 11th March

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What race for an Enduro curious XC racer’ is closed to new replies.