Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What qualifications for leading guided cycle trips?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Part of my job is to take people on guided walks which often take place on routes I like to cycle in my spare time, so I’ve proposed to my bosses that offering ‘guided cycles’ might be a very popular thing too. It might also be a good little earner in my spare time as well.

I don’t have my Summer Mountain Leader Certificate but I don’t intend to take people anywhere that remote anyway. I’m guessing insurance might be a requirement too. Does anyone know what certificates are requirements and which ones might be useful?

Thanks.

druidh
    Free Member

Look into Public Liability Insurance before you take it any further.

Garry_Lager

Mountain craft level 9 for sure.

Trailskills advanced technique module 3 wouldn’t hurt either.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK thanks. They wouldn’t be proper mountain biking outings, more like short, local, low level trips off the roads. The cycle ways round here are pretty dull and you see folk on hire bikes just aimlessly cycling around town half the time. The plan would be to show them more interesting areas for a small fee. I have my 5 day first aid certificate and was thinking some kind of bike maintenance course might be handy too.

grahamt1980

Something like the CTC trail leader or the first SMBLA course

somouk
    Free Member

Before we’re allowed to take the kids out on ride we have to do a 3 day course with the MBLA and hold a First Aid at Work cert.

That will cover you for what you want to do.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I did mine with OTC now merged with CTC.

The level you need all depends on the types of trails, altitude and latitude you will be riding in. Sounds like trail leader would be ok for you.

Hope that helps.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

What grahamt1980 said

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks everyone that’s a great help. I’ll obviously be seeking advice from my employer also to see what their requirements would be.

RayMazey
    Free Member

This one –

http://www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk/csleader.asp?session=45652211025021231939671220721

We have had some staff on the course today from the National Trust. They will also be offering guided mountain bike rides in addition to the guided walks they already offer.

Hope this helps.
    Ray Mazey
    http://www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

Joe

Mountain Bike leadership quals are a real joke I think. Very little technical skill necessary in addition to the ML courses. Any good mountain leader could easily transfer over to mtb without any further training.

highclimber
    Free Member

it seems a little bit of a mine field what with the SMBLA, CTC and MIAS qualifications. I am hoping to add a MTB qual to diversify my profile for freelancing and would be interested to know which would be most suited to outdoor education provision

highclimber
    Free Member

here is the remit for each of the CTC’s qualifications. you are not allowed to take groups higher than 600m asl 😯 . that means certain trail centres are beyond the remit.

http://www.promtb.net/courses/leaderawards/terrain.htm

allmountainventure
    Free Member

You need the advanced leader for higher elevations. Unless you are in southern Europe.

allmountainventure
    Free Member
    RayMazey
    Free Member

Joe

As far as I am aware, nobody as found MBI courses to be a bit of a joke. Infact the opposite –

http://www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk/fback.asp?session=40603211025021231939671220721&course=leader

High Climber. Maybe this will help –

http://www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk/csoverview.asp?session=40603211025021231939671220721

highclimber
    Free Member

what if you have the MLTA Mountain Leader (summer) qualification. do you need to have the advanced qual since the remit of the summer ML exceeds the advanced leader as far as terrain is concerned?

RayMazey
    Free Member

highclimber

You would not need the advanced qual.

highclimber
    Free Member

thanks for clarfying that!

wallace1492
    Free Member

TCL is widely accepted and allows you to lead grpups of up to 6 people up to 600m in height and within 30 minutes of a safe place. It seems to me the most widely accepted and recognised qualification.

wallace1492
    Free Member

GiantJaunt – Member
    Part of my job is to take people on guided walks which often take place on routes I like to cycle in my spare time, so I’ve proposed to my bosses that offering ‘guided cycles’ might be a very popular thing too. It might also be a good little earner in my spare time as well.

I don’t have my Summer Mountain Leader Certificate but I don’t intend to take people anywhere that remote anyway. I’m guessing insurance might be a requirement too. Does anyone know what certificates are requirements and which ones might be useful?

Thanks.

GJ, I have TCL and am keen to possibly use this. I also have experience in leading cycle rides. Could be quite interested in what you are proposing to your bosses, that is if you may require another TCL. Assuming you are not too far away from North Glasgow. Don’t know how to drop you a PM!!

whytetrash

Hey Joe

not sure a typical mountain leader could do a succesful single speed conversion with no MTB knowlege as you imply!

SMBLA stuff (MBLand TCL) was fun and I learned stuff after 20yrs on a MTB

Jon Collins 1MTB1 is a good guy I’d reccomend!

BC membership gives you insurance cover to lead groups if you have these quals and a 1st aid cert….so thats one less worry!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What qualifications for leading guided cycle trips?’ is closed to new replies.