Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • What puts you off making a purchase from a bike shop?
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

Just been trying to buy a frame ,lad thought the technical spiel would sell more expensive item.

To me a carbon frame is a carbon frame my days of world cup domination are behind me so it’s just for fun now ,so can anyone tell me the difference between a FACT 9 frame used in a stumpjumper and a FACT 9 frame used in a complete bike catalogue days the same game used in our stump jumper pro or whatever it was

jam-bo

Did you make this much sense in the shop?

cookeaa

I don’t think you’re supposed to question specialized products, the shop staff tell you which one is for you, you hand over some money and leave, then gush about how wonderful it was as a consumer experience to everyone…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    philxx1975
    Free Member

Did you have anything useful to ad?

scotroutes

jam bo – Member

I didn’t understand the question either.

Spin
    Free Member

Poor stock levels, pushy/smart arse/clueless/superior staff and price. I’m sure I’ll think of a few more shortly.

sandwicheater

I’ve no idea what the difference is. But if i didn’t know, i’d ask what the difference was. Have seen a few brands such as Santa Cruz having a different carbon option to save a few grams. Not my bag, i’ve enough weight to loose from pies.

For me, old stock ie 2010 kit at full RRP.
    Messy premises.
    Overly cluttered.

andywoodall
    Free Member

I’m lucky where I live, I have three really good local (and local ish near work) shops and they have never put me off, service, knowledge and stock is always good. Shropshire has a bit of a concentration of good shops.

There are another dozen or so shops that are either an unknown quantity or initial experiences have put me off, either they just don’t stock brands that hold any appeal (ahem, Trek) or the service is lacking.

I’ve never owned a Specialized, but if you can fathom their vast range on your own best of luck! I’ve never bothered personally, although I’m sure they are excellent bikes.

Spin
    Free Member

Messy premises.
    Overly cluttered.

Never, ever go to Wheelcraft near Glasgow.

Steve77
    Free Member

The FACT 9 frame game is used in the stumpjumper is used in the catalogue pro whoops forgot some commas and stuff here they are ,,,.,

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

philxx1975 – Member

Did you have anything useful to ad?

You clearly don’t because your question is shocking, I didn’t understand it either.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

‘Ad’ is spelt with two Ds.

No, I couldn’t quite fathom what you were on about Phil, either. Thought Jam Bo’s response was quite funny actually.

Anyhoo… You made the first mistake of going into a bike shop. Then attempting to buy a Specialized. Errr..

Anyone knows that Fact carbon is better than Fact carbon, anyway. It’s a FACT.

transporter13
    Free Member

The fact that the nearest “decent” one is 30 miles away.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

frame my days

a FACT 9 frame used in a complete bike catalogue

days the same game

Sorry mate I’m a +1 on the no idea what any of this means.

Spin
    Free Member

Messy premises.
    Overly cluttered.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I didn’t think Al actually left that chair.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Thread title very simple question?

What puts you off making a purchase from a bike shop? Dead simple

Felatio second post obvious STW member trying to be smart arse.

jam-bo

*waves*

Customers.

bigrich

nothing much. I try and avoid CRC/wiggle now as I don’t like the business model and I like having bike shops around to mooch through.

so, as long as it only costs a reasonable amount more, it’s worth it.

kerley
    Free Member

Thread title very simple question?

What puts you off making a purchase from a bike shop? Dead simple

Yes, you should have left it at the title as the rest of it reads like you are on something.

Anyway, reasons I don’t buy from bike shop;

I know exactly what I want and I have more knowledge about my chosen niche that they do. So I research, look for cheapest price of item, buy item.
    This is never going to be from a bike shop as they are never cheap and they never have what I want and can never offer any advice so nothing worth paying extra for even if they did have what I wanted.

slowoldman

No I didn’t understand the second sentence either.

scuzz
    Free Member

“We don’t deal with Hope”

MrPottatoHead

For me, the biggest thing that puts me off is not being able to offer a proper test ride. If I’m going to spend big money on a bike then I want to be able to try more than a quick ride around a car park. Plus stock levels are always really poor round here so internet is just quicker to get hold of things.

kayla1
    Free Member

Bobbins service. I wanted a 26.8mm seat post (odd size, they had to order one in) that took them three weeks to actually bother their arses to order. Shop in Houghton-Le-Spring. Meh. Cool story, etc…

LMT
    Free Member

I’ve only got one proper LBS near me, and the reason I don’t shop there is simple, its just too cluttered.

Its a great new shop as they recently moved they have 3x the space they used to have yet its still full, you have to fight your way round the shop. I’ve given up going in there unless I’m passing and really need something like an inner tube the other week and then I just went to the till and asked if they had the size I was after let them fight there way round.

I genuinely worry about when my bb goes and I need to get it worked on how I will get my bike with its big 29er wheels round the shop to the workshop.

There is a nice specialized concept store not to far away, that’s well spaced and nice to browse, never had to try there servicing but might when the bb goes.

warpcow
    Free Member

Felatio?

Disinterested staff. Either they offer no help at all, or only try to sell you whatever they have on hand, no matter how inappropriate. Thankfully my LBS is not like this, but there are several in town who are.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Lack of stock
    Obviously lack of or wrong knowledge of staff
    Lack of stock
    Enormous mark up
    Lack of stock
    Staff who try and try to sell you something which is totally wrong.
    Did I forget stocking basic items reliably. Not glass cases with items they never sell

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Price

tomhoward

Because I don’t want to support the industry, and the people in it, that bring me great joy.

In answer to your (appallingly badly asked) question, the frame only is the same frame as the one they use in the top model, rather than the cheaper ones. If you’d listened, with your ears, you might have understood.

Mister-P
    Free Member

“To me a carbon frame is a carbon frame. My days of world cup domination are behind me so it’s just for fun now. So can anyone tell me the difference between a FACT 9 frame used in a stumpjumper and a FACT 9 frame used in a complete bike? Catalogue says the same frame used in our stump jumper pro or whatever it was.”

I think this is what the OP was trying to say.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Say what?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

When they don’t seem like they want the money. Even if the margins 10%, this is still retail, show some interest.

“I’d like to give you £40.00 for these Poc gloves…. I know, I’m not sure why, I like to help out small local companies….”

“They’re probably cheaper online, mate, or there’s these Shit lizard skins ones in red.”

“Um…. £15 for this Allen key? Deal.”

“That’s Shit mate, better off not bothering.”

I don’t know anymore, this seems to happen all the time.

*disclaimer used to work in lbs , was grim*

Spin
    Free Member

I don’t know anymore, this seems to happen all the time.

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Felatio second post obvious STW member trying to be smart arse

1ST rule of STW fight club: the second post will always be piss taking.

Not quite sure what felatio has to do with it… 😆

Anyway – hugs all round, kids.. 🙂

lunge

Mainly as I know what I want, can fit it myself and find it convenient to get it delivered to home or the office. However, I have started to use Evans collect in store as I can have a wander round a shop whilst also getting exactly what I need at a good price. They’re also open late so I can go in after work.

However, I do use my LBS for some things, mainly mechanical stuff I can’t or don’t like doing. Recently this has been fitting a Hope press fit BB and for trying a carbon wheel. The former was a royal pain as it was badly fitted and not cheap so ended up being done again by another shop, the latter was a bargain and very well done.

bencooper
    Free Member

Or me 😀

Though at least you can see my floor. In places.

drlex
    Free Member

^ I’ve always thought of your operation as an engineering operation that has walk-ins.

slowoldman

For me, the biggest thing that puts me off is not being able to offer a proper test ride

Whereas if I buy off the internet…

scrumfled
    Free Member

I’ve got a few;

– Mis-information. (Being told something i know or suspect to be untrue)
    – Being pushed to another product solely because its what they have, rather than for any reason that benefits me. I dont mind if they’re on a par, but not if it doesnt work for me.
    – Generally feeling like Im being treated like a mug.

Theres a couple of independents around here I use, but they’ve both had good days (where I’ve bought) and bad days (where they’ve done one of the above, so I’ve walked).

Loyalty is a two way street 🙂

MrPottatoHead

Whereas if I buy off the internet…

Wasn’t really thinking in that context for bike sales. Was more; if a shop can’t offer a test ride then I’d go to a different shop. My last 2 bikes are from a shop 50 miles away which I’d rate above all my local shops.

Although to be honest Wiggle do a 30-day ‘test-ride’ scheme which is far better than I’ve seen offered by any LBS.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘What puts you off making a purchase from a bike shop?’ is closed to new replies.