Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What profile 700C tyres do you run on a training bike
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I have just made my first foray into owning a second hand road bike. I am located in rural Devon and currently have 700x 0.23 tyres on it. Obviously the ride is pretty harsh when compared to the mountain bike so was just wondering what people run for back lane duties.

My local lanes can have quite a lot of gravel, mud, pot holes, some have a grassy ridge in the middle was just wondering if a larger profile tyre would help a bit and how big to go, its just a bike to use for evening rides to improve fitness without having to drag the mountain bike around.

trail_rat
    Free Member

your probably just not used to it ….

23 are just grand for most things.

depends what clearances you have but maybe stick on a 28 or 32 on if comforts your bag.

njee20
    Free Member

I use 23s, find them fine. It’s all I’ve ever used on the road bike frankly.

25s are increasingly popular, with evidence to suggest they’re faster on rough roads too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got 23’s on Stans rims which come up huge, and 25’s on stans rims wich come out even bigger. But I’ve done plenty of century rides on 23’s on normal rims without too much pain, just get used to it and look up rather than down, 99.9% of potholes, gravel, rough bits can be avoided.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m a big fan of nice light 28s. panaracer paselas are my top choice.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Try less pressure, I use 110psi for hacking and if its the sort of lanes you suggest then ill drop to 90psi.. Which is actually quite a drop.

frosty87
    Free Member

I also live in devon and ride similar lanes to you. I run 23s but at around 90psi as bikebouy suggests.

My wife runs 25s which I would be quite tempted to go with as well as they do seem like a good option and are supposed to have a lower rolling resistance I think.

Be careful if you go for a 28 or above as some frames have very tight clearances on them and 28 tends to be the top limit.

monkeychild
    Free Member

23 @110psi on some right shonky roads. I am nails 😉

fandango
    Free Member

25s Gatorskins for the Welsh potholed back roads. Back to 23s in due course.

oldgit
    Free Member

I recently fitted some 25c’s for a race, and liked them so much I’ve put them onto my training bike.

mboy
    Free Member

25’s are definitely more comfortable, and seem faster over rougher surfaces without seeming any slower on smooth roads. Only downside is if you’ve got very right clearances on your frame, and 25’s won’t fit in without rubbing the stays under power.

It seems odd to me that the popularisation of 25’s seems to be quite a recent thing, as for most people most of the time, they just make more sense IMO.

IanW
    Free Member

25 for everything, more likely to try wider than go back to 23.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Spesh Roubaix 23/25. They have 25 carcass and a 23 rolling thingy apparently.
    Took em down this on Sunday, drop bars and all.

velomanic
    Free Member

Used to have 23 but now on 28 (Conti GP4S) and prefer it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What profile 700C tyres do you run on a training bike’ is closed to new replies.