• This topic has 24 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jase.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What Printers Use the Cheapest Ink
  • Jase
    Free Member

Need a new inkjet printer and want to buy one that uses cheap ink replacements.

Anyone know what ones generally use the cheapest ink replacements?

Not interested in the non-branded ink replacements as have had issue in the past with them and am sure that is what has ruined my current printer.

Many thanks.

nealglover
    Free Member

Have a look at the places that sell printer ink, and order the results by price.

nickjb
    Free Member

Any reason for inkjet? What sort of printing are you doing? Laser is cheaper to run in the long term for general printing but not so good for pictures.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

Never looked back since I got a laser printer (B&W are quite reasonable).

Cartridges last ages, never smeary and I don’t miss colour printing.

I’ve probably had three inkjets die previously in the same amount of time I’ve owned this one.

z1ppy

G/f bought a Kodak using your criteria, really wish she hadn’t, biggest POS I’ve ever had the pleasure to deal with but yes the ink’s cheap (or was).
    Just buy a HP and be happier with (what tend to be) a better printer.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

The good thing about my Canon is it will allow me to keep printing when it ‘thinks’ the ink has run out. And will keep going happily until it literally runs dry, which can be quite a long time after that point.

The old Epson I had would stop if it thought a colour had ran out and point-blank wouldn’t print anything even though I just needed to print out a black and white letter.

And don’t bother with Lexmark. The worst thing I’ve ever bought.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve probably had three inkjets die previously in the same amount of time I’ve owned this one.

Agreed, we used a cheapo B&W laser in the office for just shy of ten years and only changed because it was beginning to struggle with larger multiple page documents. Sadly we couldn’t give it a way so it ended up in landfil.

olddog

I use the PC world own-brand version of cartridges for my Canon inkjet about 1/2 the price of branded. I needed to override the message saying it’s empty (which the printed prompted me to do anyway) and they work fine – judging by the amount of paper I’ve got through, I’ve done over 500 pages on the current cartridge and it seems to be doing fine.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I bought a brother and an endless ink system (3 colour reservoirs and 1 black on the side if the machine). It doesn’t look pretty but ink costs almost nothing. £2 for 200ml.

Something similar to this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CISS-Continuous-Ink-System-fits-with-Epson-Hewlet-Packard-Canon-Brother-/261582273412?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item3ce784bb84

Alphabet

As above I’ve got a CISS for my Epson 1500w. I paid £18 for 600ml ink the last time I bought some. Makes it very cheap to run and I get excellent results IMO.

kayak23
    Drac

Kodak here cheap ink and at 5 years old it’s last way longer than any other printer I’ve owned.

Jase
    Free Member

Looks like Kodak no longer make printers

z1ppy

thank god

mark_h4dng
    Free Member

just bought one of these Canon piximas

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9114320.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:12504951770|tsid:59158|cid:200290250|lid:94811691050|nw:g|crid:42772543610|rnd:9371471673682867116|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1

cost less than two new Hp cartridges

and the Black ink is £12 and colour £15

Drac

Looks like Kodak no longer make printers

Not one of those then, shame as they lasted years.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I thought my printer was borked (HP) so washed the ink cartridge carrier thing under the tap and gave it a bit of a scrub. Threw the genuine HP cartridges out (it’s only ever had genuine HP cartridges) and installed some snide ink from 7 day shop.

It’s been perfect since.

Maybe it was my washing skills, maybe it was the snide ink..

ampthill

HP do some printers with bigger cartridges.

We bought one and it does seem alot cheaper. The printer cots more but the ink is less. Apparently cheap printers are simply to suck you into buying cartridges. Like cheap smack to first timers from a dealer

http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/multi-functional-printers/hp-officejet-pro-8600/

cozz
    Free Member

just ordered 4 toner cartridges fro my hp colour laser printer

on sale for £220 plus VAT !!!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Apparently cheap printers are simply to suck you into buying cartridges. Like cheap smack to first timers from a dealer

😀

Apparently, some HP ink is more expensive than scorpion venom!

Source from a PC mag a few years back.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have an Epson Expression Home XP-412

Buy the ink for peanuts from 3rd party sellers on Amazon, or PrinterInks or the like.

Pro-Tip: Never update the firmware on your inkjet printer if it’s working fine. These updates will just be new DRM protections to stop 3rd party chips from working.

falkirk-mark

HP are doing a scheme where you pay per sheets printed and they send out cartridges as required. seems a good deal for me who finds dry cartridges every couple of months.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en

samuri
    Free Member

We have a Canon Pixma something or other. We feed it with no name cartridges off Amazon, dirt cheap they are, about 8 quid for a full set. Have been doing for years. Never had a problem with it.

luke
    Free Member

Wouldn’t touch Lexmark the one we had was extortionate to replace the cartridges on.

Had a mid range HP for about 5 or 6 years until it died, the replacement cartridges were reasonable if you shopped around. It was replaced with a Canon which the ink costs a little more for, but I’m still happy with the price and the quality of the print.

If you go down the colour route I have found it a lot cheaper to buy printers with several coloured cartridges rather than a single colour cartridge.

Jase
    Free Member

Saw the HP scheme on tv last night so going to have a look at it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What Printers Use the Cheapest Ink’ is closed to new replies.