Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What printer for home use?
  • 40mpg

I’ve got a printer/scanner/copier which is about 8 years old, and due to infrequent use the printing is really liney (when it comes out at all).

Just after something similar for occasional use – any recommendations? Are ink cartridges cheaper on any particular brand?

Its just for occasional use, kids homework (the bits that dont get emailed in anyway) – no need for photo quality or anything.

Just had a quick look in Staples and they have a fair few for £30-£40. Is it better value to buy a new printer when the ink cartridges run out anyway? 😯

DaveRambo

We have a Canon MG6250 – printer, copier, scanner etc. I doubt it’s still available as they change the models pretty often
    The best bit is it’s wireless so you can print from phones etc easily.

Daughter uses it for school to copy the odd thing.
    Ink isn’t too expensive – I use an online place.

I have bought cheap before and regretted it.

oldnpastit

Get a laser printer.

Inkjets are hateful creatures, sent to inflict misery on mankind by torturing us with paper jams, blotty printouts and uneven fonts, all the while sucking out our remaining will to live.

(Just recently bought a fairly cheap HP laserjet and it’s so much nicer than the inkjet that went before it).

skids
    Free Member

If you don’t care about colour printing you might be better off getting a cheap laser printer, much less hassle and the toner lasts for ages

Murray

I’ve got an Officejet Pro 8500. Expensive to buy, cheap to run and very reliable.

jfletch
    Free Member

Do not, under any circumstances by anything made by Epsom

Just had a quick look in Staples and they have a fair few for £30-£40. Is it better value to buy a new printer when the ink cartridges run out anyway?

And no – The new printers come with special smaller ink cartridges so you aren’t getting a full compliment of ink in the cheaper printer.

mlpinto
    Free Member

+1 for what oldnpastit said – I got an HP laser printer / scanner for about £70 a couple of years back and it’s so much better than any inkjet I’ve had. The toner that came with it is still going and replacements are cheap. The great thing is it just works even if you go for ages without printing anything – no more dried / clogged cartridges…

chewkw
    Free Member

Brother HL-1112 A4 Mono Laser Printer – £49.99 from Argos.

This one.

Bought mine for £30 or something like that during sales.

Very good.

🙂

unovolo
    Free Member

I have the WiFi version of the Brother printer above, print quality is superb and very quick compared to inkjets.

Samsung do a similar one but toner can be gotten cheaper for the Brother laser printers.

Don’t miss my old all in one inkjet at all.

chewkw
    Free Member

unovolo – Member

I have the WiFi version of the Brother printer above, print quality is superb and very quick compared to inkjets.

Was thinking of the WiFi version but I don’t have WiFi on my pooter so opted for the one with cable. Cheaper too.

Toner for Brother is cheaper and more reasonable than other brand.

oldboy
    Free Member

Do not, under any circumstances by anything made by Epsom

Totally agree. I bought an Epson thinking separate ink cartridges would mean great savings on the colours, as I mostly print B&W. Stupid me! When a cartridge runs out it renders the rest of them as “unrecognised” or something similar. B&W laser for me next.

chewkw
    Free Member

My previous Oki mono laser (think it was B4200 or something like that) lasted for about 11 or 12 years until the entire drum died on me.

Brother for me now.

munkster
    Free Member

If you don’t care about colour printing you might be better off getting a cheap laser printer, much less hassle and the toner lasts for ages

This. Got a HP Laserjet “free” (I had to go collect) off a guy on here a couple of years ago and haven’t looked back. The same one can be had on eBay for about £50 usually. Compared to an office situation at home it barely gets used so the toner carts do last forever as above. YMMV but I can’t say I miss the frustrations of inkjets (running out/drying out/not printing properly) 🙂

prettygreenparrot

If you want mono then a ‘cheap’ mono LASER.

If it’s regular color printing then I’d also go for a LASER.

I used to have an HP LASERJet 2550L with a 250 page feeder. Big, noisy, color-matching a bit off, but lasted ages on its toner cartridges. It’s in the cellar now. It might still work if anyone wants it for nothing.

These days I use a Dell 1250c LASER. It was about £50 in Tesco one day and I figured it would be OK. That was a few years back. Aftermarket cartridges are reasonably priced. It works well wirelessly connected into an Airport Extreme.

I do have a MF Epson InkJet. I got it for some color photo prints. It’s OK, but I use it so rarely for printing that its ink is usually all dried-up. Much easier to use an online printer or pop to the local print shop.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Laser printers are better but usually a bit more spendy.

I’ve tried all brands of inkjet (Epson awful forever blocking up) and they all seem to pack in about 2 years down the line. Brother printers seem to last a bit longer!

If your going inkjet, get refillable cartridges, some are double or more capacity than normal, enabling you to buy bottled ink refills (a bit of faff but larger and much cheaper) or a continuous ink system, so you don’t get dry bummed on ink cartridges. Ink costs pennies don’t let the sh1th0use rats get away with ripping us off!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Laser printers are better but usually a bit more spendy.

Disagree. I can’t believe how long the toner is lasting on our Samsung laser printer. Its been a revelation after a string of ink jets that invariably suffered blocked print heads or other forms of self destruction a year or two after purchase.

Rich_s

I asked a similar question on here a while back and ended up with a samsung mono laser duplex WiFi. I also have an old HP inkjet which is c.5 years old and (touch wood) has never blocked despite only being used for photos every 3-4 months or so.

From what I remember of Epsons they do block, but HPs have the head built into the cart so it’s less likely to happen and if it does a new cart solves the problem.

richmars

As Rich_s says. Not all ink jet printers are the same. HP ink cartridges include the clever bit where the ink is ejected, so only needs to last until the ink runs out. Other makes have fixed print heads, which will get damaged (paper swipes) or blocked.

divenwob
    Free Member

I have a Dell C1765 all in one and I LOVE IT!!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What printer for home use?’ is closed to new replies.