Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What price to pay for a Niner MCR frame?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve seen a used Niner MCR frame in my size. I’m out of touch with pricing. It’s in the US so I’d need to factor in postage etc. What’s a reasonable price for one?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Tea time bump.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Anyone?

takisawa2

Well, they were a bit cheaper than a SIR.9 when new.
    And they stopped making them when the new SIR.9 came out a year or so back.

I’d say if it’s in good condition I’d look to pay no more than £250.
    I bet your looking at >£50 shipping. Not sure on taxes as it’s used, but I’ve never had any used bits held up at customs.

They really are a lovely hardtail. You can really feel the spring in the steel. Really love my SIR.9. Is it the forks too ? (Niners steel fork is identical to the Swift steel fork). If I were to add another mtb to keep my SIR.9 company it would be an MCR.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That’s a good guide.

The frame is without forks but I emailed Sam and he thinks he still has a pair of Swift forks that he’ll keep for me.

If I go to Idaho next autumn, I think it would make a great bike packing bike, over the Fargo.

tang
    Free Member

I have one, and it’s fantastic. Think I paid 350 for a minty 2nd hand here 3 years ago. I might let it go at sometime as my friend Ted James, master tubesmith and Reynolds test welder has moved in down the road and I’d love a custom frame in 953 for my 40th in 2 years.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I might let it go at sometime

Tang, if you do and it’s a large, give me a shout. I don’t want to get in a bidding war on the one I have my eye on.

takisawa2

Likewise, if it’s a medium I might be interested Tang… 🙂

I’m sure I spotted a SIR.9 starting the Tour Divide this year, in Kermit green like mine.
    I was sceptical as they come up light for a steel frame (& I’m no lightweight), but the larger sizes have different tube butting etc anyway. I bought mine as a long term bike. The way I see it, if it breaks I can get it repaired easily being good old steel.

I’d ask to see a close up of the top tube – head tube gusset. The paint cracks there due to movement. Niner have warranty replaced a few in the States, but I was refused. I’ve not heard of any actually cracking, but there are a few fusspots on MTBR. I’m not too concerned. Charliethebikemonger reported that his 5yr old test bike has had the same issue for years.

tang
    Free Member

It is a medium. It’s light and springy, ideal xc all day mile muncher and very comfortable. It’s not going anywhere for now! It’s what I teach on so I’m on it all day.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What price to pay for a Niner MCR frame?’ is closed to new replies.