• This topic has 27 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • what pressure in your GP4000's ?
  • iainc

I remember a thread ages ago about running slightly wider road tyres at lower pressures, so since then I’ve been putting 90 psi into my 25c GP4000’s on Giant Defy. I weight just under 13 stone in road kit.

as a comparison, on my cdf on the road I have the Conti Cross-speeds at about 70 psi which see good too.

what pressures others using ?

mrblobby
    Free Member

85 front, 95 rear, seems about right for me. Over a stone lighter though.

nickc

Between 85-90psi 23c though and 11st

dragon
    Free Member

100 psi but can’t remember if they are 23 or 25’s.

I’ve always used around 100 – 110 psi for race bikes in the dry, then 90 ish in the wet.

fathomer

90 front / 100 rear. Weigh about 12stone and on a defy as well.

iainc

great info, thanks, think I’ll pop them up a bit to 100

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’d only pump them up if you are getting pinches or can feel squirming.

25’s at 90/80 for me – comfier and better rolling on less than perfect roads.

onandon
    Free Member

I’m on 23s 100 rear and 95 front.
    79kg or 12.5 stone

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just play with it a bit. Let out 10 psi, ride a bit, pump up 10 psi, ride a bit. See how it feels.

Also try maybe 10psi less on the front. Reckon this helps handling a fair bit.

Go get some latex tubes too, they make for a nicer ride.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

100 feels firm to me, 80 bit squirmy on the front. 90 ish a lot more comfortable over long distance

13thfloormonk

90 front and rear for me and 14st when I last checked (after three pints and in my work clothes, I’m hoping I’m somehow lighter than that on the bike!)

Haven’t experimented but haven’t seen the point, it seems to work.

Put some new RS81 wheels on and if anything think I can feel the road a little more, would be tempted to try lowering the pressure but might play with latex tubes first, I’ve always been intrigued by them.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

90psi and 14 stone? 😯 I’m less than 11 stone fully kitted with jersey pockets filled and 90 is the lowest I’ll go, anything less feels squirmy.

philjunior
    Free Member

110psi and I’m 13.5 stone.

If I was riding a lot of poor tarmac I might drop it to 90psi but no lower.

bluebird
    Free Member

I’ve found this a pretty good starting point (chart of page 2): http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

philjunior
    Free Member

Good article bluebird, for some reason I don’t mind running different pressures on an MTB but never run different pressures on a road bike. Maybe I should reconsider this!

13thfloormonk

90psi and 14 stone? I’m less than 11 stone fully kitted with jersey pockets filled and 90 is the lowest I’ll go, anything less feels squirmy.

Weird, I don’t exactly hold back on the corners (or at least, don’t think I do) but don’t notice any squirm. Plus I’m probably closer to 13 stone, I think the 14st was a fluke result (fingers crossed anyway!).

Maybe the rim/tyre profile has something to do with it? I have been running Shimano RS11s and am now on RS81s.

philjunior
    Free Member

If it’s the 4000S II, info on rolling resistance vs pressure here:

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-2014

Essentially you should be able to run any sensible pressure without it slowing you down much.

pirahna
    Free Member

philjunior – Member
    If it’s the 4000S II, info on rolling resistance vs pressure here:

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-2014

Essentially you should be able to run any sensible pressure without it slowing you down much.

Interesting link. My own pressure preferences are:

23mm/25mm – 120psi
    28mm – 100psi
    32mm – 80psi (is use these on the crosser on the road)

spectraken
    Free Member

running mine about 90psi

cynic-al
    Free Member

70 in 23 front, 80 in 25 rear, 80kg, never noticed squirm but have noticed many folk talk about squirm/traction etc, I don’t buy it!

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

About 85-90 ish in my GP4000s but they are 28c. Seems to work.

timba
    Free Member

25mm 14 stone and 85F 95R. Pointless really because my gauge probably won’t read the same as any other

PeteG55
    Free Member

12.5 St roughly, 95 psi Schwalbe Ultremos front and back. Might be more like 90 psi with the pump I use. Much less and it feels a squirrel on some of the faster downhill corners around here.

iainc

looks like I’m not far out then with 90 front and back, but I will tweak slightly to have front a bit lower and back a touch higher.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I did 105psi front and back for a 107mile ride round the surrey hills on Saturday – towards the end I was really feeling the poor road surfaces and my palms are still aching around the ulnar area 🙁

However last time I did that ride I didn’t have the hand issues, and I think my psis were about the same – but may be wrong as it was a couple of years ago.

Had recently changed bar tape from cheap but spongy charge tape to some fizik performance tape.

Crag
    Free Member

I’m about 11.5 stone and run 100 rear, 90 front in my 23c’s.

I have applied neither science nor logic as to whether this is right or wrong. I’ve randomly stuck some air in and it kind of works for me.

This thread has, however, got me wondering whether I’ve got too much air in my tyres.

blurty

I am a mighty 95kg. I run F80/R90 on 25c

hora
    Free Member

97kg’s here – I run 80/90 F&R. The difference is though I run latex tubes which I think really help and touch wood avoid punctures.

Try them- they feel abit ooo sexy too.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘what pressure in your GP4000's ?’ is closed to new replies.