Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • what platform spd pedals for touring
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

currently have crank brothers acids on my tourer/cx bike but do not want to rely on eggbeaters for long distance stuff as they may fall apart. what other lightweight options are there?

midlifecrashes

I’d have thought Shimano A520 would do that job, not much weight difference to the Acids. Not the A530 as they now have a proper flattie side for riding in trainers/hiking boots/work shoes.

druidh
    Free Member

Yep – A520s on my tourer.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks

do they offer plenty of support with recessed cleat shoes?

andym
    Free Member

Two sets of choices: one-sided like the 520, or the double-sided resin-caged jobbies (eg Shimano 424s). Final choice beyond that really a matter of personal preference, and how much time you expect to be riding with non-SPD shoes – personally I only carry riding shoes and flip-flops.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve done multi-day stuff with them using Specialized Sonoma shoes. You might be best trying them with your own shoes are you’re always going to compromise between too much “grip” when clipping/unclipping and having some sort of footbed support. (I guess I’m saying “they work for me YMMV”)

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

shoes are Time TXTs. i think i’ll give them a go, clearance is pretty good with the acids and the 520s look leaner anyway. will be purely spd riding

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘what platform spd pedals for touring’ is closed to new replies.