• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ahsat.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What pizza stone
  • ahsat

Another Friday night of yummy homemade pizzas. But in a fan conventional oven the base doesn’t just quite crisp up. Might be time to complete the stw line up (have the wood burner, gin, bikes, various espresso formats, Rapha mug 😆 )…what pizza stone?

leffeboy

Any floor tile you pick up as a sample for free from a tile shop will do. First time round ramp the temperature up slowly in the oven over 30mins or so or it can crack

Edit: I hang an extra couple off of the main racks in the oven using bits of wire to create extra ‘shelves’ for even more pizza

Burps and reaches for more pizza…

Drac

Cheapest you can find on amazon unless Aldi or Lidl do a deal soon.

andyl
    Free Member

Aldi one for me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aldi one is doing well here. As a bonus it comes with a pizza blade which is nice.

Reality it’s a stone

What I can tell you is don’t heat it up and remove from the oven to put your dough on then forget the oven glove.

The blisters are only receeding now.

rene59
    Free Member

Heat a cast iron pan on the burner, cook underside of pizza on that then transfer the pan to under the grill and cook the top.

leffeboy

Heat a cast iron pan on the burner, cook underside of pizza…

Only if you want one at a time 🙁

Otherwise, floor tiles ftw

Drac

What I can tell you is don’t heat it up and remove from the oven to put your dough on then forget the oven glove

I do that every time.

edlong
    Free Member

What I can tell you is don’t heat it up and remove from the oven to put your dough on then forget the oven glove

I do that every time.[/quote]

+1

rene59
    Free Member

Only if you want one at a time

They only take 3mins.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Top tip, for a crispier base, pre cook the base with just the sugo on it, then add your mozzarella and toppings and finish off.

I make a big batch of dough n sugo, and pre make a few for the freezer too, then midweek pizza only takes a few minutes.

Edit – Terry, that sounds sair as ****

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Yep, cheapest option here too.
    I have discovered they work very well on the barbecue too. Yum.
    Bit sad I’ve had my tea now.

dhrider
    Free Member

I have a Weber pizza stone for the BBQ. Great job as long as you pre heat it for 15 mins before using it.

nixie

Heathens the lot of you. You can’t make properly good pizza in a domestic oven.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, you can. Perhaps you can’t.

ahsat

Thanks all. Cheap and cheerful it is.

llama

Measure your oven
    Go to b&q and by a good thick stone patio slab, the biggest that fits

llama

Plus don’t even think about taking it out hot. Buy or make a peel. I made one from a bit of ply any 2×2 I had in the garage, still using it 5 years later.

bruneep

They only take 3mins

Less than 60sec in my unni

dannybgoode

Get an Aga. Best home cooked pizza I’ve had…

Bregante

Get an Aga. Best home cooked pizza I’ve had..

Absolutely. £4k on a cooker is definitely the way to go over a £10 pizza stone 😀

dannybgoode

Absolutely. £4k on a cooker is definitely the way to go over a £10 pizza stone

This is STW. Surely complete overkill and technically correct but entirely unhelpful suggestions are obligatory.

Really does do nice pizza though.

ahsat

I fully support the aga route (my parents have one) but by the time I’ve paid for the unit, install and the running costs, I could order take away for the rest of my life 😆

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What pizza stone’ is closed to new replies.