Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • What pickup – Ford Ranger or Isuzu Denver
  • geoffj

I’m missing my van 😥

I’ve inherited the passat estate (Mrs J got a new car), but I miss the versatility of the van.
    I’m doing more tree / firewood jobs which the pickup would be perfect for, plus I can get 5 proper seats in one of the double cab models.

I don’t want another van either – time for something different.

Would probably be looking at a 2 year old ish model of either and do about 6k per year.

I believe the Ford is cheaper on parts / servicing, but the Isuzu just looks a but smarter.

Anyone got one of these?

I own a Ranger Thunder and have driven (years ago) and been in a few Isuzu’s.

The Isuzu is horrible and cheap IMHO and that isn’t being biased. The Ranger has been rock solid and when I get a new truck next year it will be the 2012 version, based on actually seeing/driving one of course. If not, then a VW Amarok, or maybe a 2nd hand Navara.

Anything but an Isuzu.

DickBarton

I thought they were the same vehicle…will need to have a nosey at them…I thought it was like the previous model Citroen Berlingo and Peugeot Partner – same vehicle just different inner finishings…

That’s the Mazda B250 Dick

langy
    Free Member

Every other person drives a “Ute” down here in Aus – 2/3 if you’re a tradie. They are both low down the list of most popular – looked at a Toyota? Or Mitsubishi? Both sturdier options. Toyota should be comparable on the parts/service stuff too.

Bear in mind the double cab means only half a tray – you may end up towing a trailer still if you need a full size load on – though if you’re using an Estate, then it’ll seem like heaven regardless.

geoffj

Thanks folks. The Amarok looks very nice. More to think about.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have an Isuzu TF which is the same thing a couple of model generations ago I think.

It is basic, reasonably uncomfortable and has a big turning circle. However all kids who have been in it think it is great because it bounces around like a truck and I let them dance on the roof at the big Bike Bash.

If you need to use something as a regular tool I would go for something less industrial. Having said that, other than a knackered alternator, nothing has gone wrong and it always just works. Only just room for bikes longways on the back though.

langy – Member

Every other person drives a “Ute” down here in Aus – 2/3 if you’re a tradie. They are both low down the list of most popular – looked at a Toyota? Or Mitsubishi? Both sturdier options. Toyota should be comparable on the parts/service stuff too.

Youre having a laugh aren’t you? Mitsubishi’s – the older ones are slow and thirsty, the new ones are for hairdressers. A mate had the newer Animal version and it was a pile of crap – smallest loadbay too, until they lengthened it (and made it even uglier) a year or two ago. Toyotas are OK though.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Have you ever considered a trailer? I used to run a pick up, and now find a trailer much more versatile.

MadBillMcMad

Following from my brother’s experience I would never get a Ford Ranger.

He has gone through 4 clutches, admittedly all changed under warranty but not what you want.

don’t muck about & get a hilux.

jam-bo

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR is the only person I’ve ever known say a good word about them.

our works one is nothing but trouble and horrible to drive.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s the Mazda B250 Dick

No need for the abuse!

cozz
    Free Member

ive got a ranger, as have 3 of my mates, we all use / work them and colelcltively have had no real probs

Although Ive had a few troopers and like isuzu the pickups are having problems if you speak to owners

Ranger wins easy, one of the most reliable and under rated pick ups around

Mine has 73k on the clock and in the two years I have owned it (had 2.5k on when I bought it) the only thing to fail was a frozen fuel filter and that was hardly the trucks fault. Other than that I’ve just had cambelt done, its had one set of tyres, one set of brake pads and routine servicing.

geoffj

After test driving a couple of different trucks and speaking to my mechanic, I’ve gone for a ranger. Drove it back from Aberdeenshire over Glenshee today in the glorious sunshine and impressed so far. 🙂
    Now it’s time to get the caravan 😉

chris23
    Free Member

For gods sake avoid the L200, just spent the last 4 days driving one in the name of work. It is the first thing I have driven that makes my Discovery 2 feel quick.
    Like the other posts say, do it right get a Hilux. We also have these at work, they can drag any thing we throw at or in them.
    Or if you’re hard as nails get a high cap 130 inch defender pick up.

chewkw
    Free Member

Get the Hilux!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Did you have e basic 130bhp l200 i find it hard to believe the 160 or the 180 bhp model could be slower than a disco 2

They were on my list of vehicles to replace the van with – but so is a revamped series 2a haha ….. Speed has never featured highly on my list !

Ability to tow 2 tonnes is high up though !

You made correct choice with ranger vs the denver though !

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Volvo and a trailer if you need it.

NEXT!

Fletcher
    Free Member

Like others have said get a Hilux. I love mine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha thatll be why we towed a transit van into an event recently with a very sorted v8 rangey on his trailer

Im sure he felt a little foolish at that one 🙂

A car plus trailer doesnt always suit the need …..

buttercup
    Free Member

Ford Rangers are dying out after next year. The name is, anyway. Being replaced with the 150. But all new mazda pick ups are actually ford trucks.
    I have always been partial to the Mazda pick ups, really.

derekrides
    Free Member

I drove the Chevy version of the Isuzu for five years, before that I had an L200 and now use the VW Amarok which is superior to both.

But you won’t be getting a two year old, so next best would be the Toyota Hilux for comfort and reliability, next down is the Nissan Navarra, then the Colorado/Denver whatever GM badge you choose, I actually think the L200 is a better ride than them if you get it chipped and or re mapped.

I love trucks, have driven them all at one time or another and rent them when travelling.

Er wouldn’t be seen dead in a Ford, they’re almost as bad in trucks as Volvo are to cars, except in the States, those F150’s are OK but guzzle gas so useless this side of the pond.

buttercup
    Free Member

Derek, have you ever owned a Volvo?

derekrides
    Free Member

Volvo drivers are/were responsible for more bike deaths than any other vehicle, so no other than once when forced to rent one by an errant employee, since terminated, having exposed me to the life-force and charisma sucking action of said brand over a period of three days in the fatherland some time back, no, I don’t nor ever will drive a Volvo, I’ve even had it written in my will not to engage a Funeral service that uses them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha reminds me of a story

Chap at work had uaz ( russian 4×4)

Sales dude gets a new ranger as in splitting new and bragging about it and slating the scrappy old uaz saying its a piece of crap and the ranger would outperform it no end

One lunch time the uaz and the ranger were liked up via a big sling pointing opposite ways

The uaz stalled as the signal was given . Ranger just dumped his clutch and started to wheelspin on the dirt …….. Uaz calmly restarted then drove out the yard pulling a wheelspinning ford ranger behind like it was on a sunday drive

Ranger went back to the garage with **** axels and gear box …… A couple weeks later

Ok maybe not fair as uaz weighs double a ranger at a guess and weight all round not a pickup back but funny none the less !

chris23
    Free Member

Trail rat

It was the top spec 57 plate Warrior L200. It was utter Poo

timber

Too late to say now, but a lot of the other firewood guys around here run super-cab variants as they look a bit more generous – so generally ford or nissan by default.

We run a Defender 130 as we are often working axle deep, but tow for fire wood as the back is full of crap useful stuff.

buttercup
    Free Member

I hate to be splitting hairs here, but I don’t think amounting cyclist deaths mean it is a faulty machine. Just saying.
    American?

Jeez – some crap being spouted on this thread….

buttercup – Member

Ford Rangers are dying out after next year. The name is, anyway. Being replaced with the 150

The 2012 Ford Ranger

Like the other posts say, do it right get a Hilux. We also have these at work, they can drag any thing we throw at or in them.

Not sure about the top spec 3.0l Hilux, but the 2.5l version has the lowest towing capacity of just about any pick-up on the market.

chris23 – Member

Trail rat

It was the top spec 57 plate Warrior L200. It was utter Poo

I’m pretty sure that on a ’57 plate the Warrior isn’t the top spec model and therefore wouldn’t be the 170bhp model. The range topping model was the Animal – still wouldn’t have one though. Don’t feel very rugged and the car like driving position doesn’t suit a pick-up.

Think I’ve plumped for a Navara to replace my Ranger – the new Ranger is too pricey. Amarok is nice, but gutless (driven one)and you have to take out a 2nd mortgage to get one with any decent extras.

Nav is a bit long in the tooth, but….

190bhp, cruise control, steering wheel controls, full leather, electric sunroof, heated power folding mirrors, dual zone climate control, auto dimming rear view mirrow, automatic headlights, rain sensing wipers, heated electrically adjusted seats, sat-nav, dvd player, HDD music server, reversing camera, Bluetooth phone & media connection.

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, the top-of-the-line all-new Ford Ranger just got an “Our Choice” rating in South African Car magazine, dethroning the Hilux. And South Africans know a thing or two about bakkies pickup trucks.

We have a pair of 2.5 turbo-diesel Rangers and a pair of 3.0 D-4D Hiluxes in our fleet. 50,000km each in the last 14 months. Rangers are horrible, gutless things and given to the junior staff (when they aren’t at the workshop waiting for parts).

VW Amarok got good reviews, but people here don’t trust small displacement engines.

Nissan Navara is well regarded and popular, mainly with company owners due to its more upmarket interior.

Isuzu’s seem to be bit meh: haven’t driven or been in one for many years – the 2.8DT from 2001 was pretty nice to drive.

buttercup
    Free Member

STR. note that is a ’12 ranger(which is only available in the EU) not a ’13 or ’14 ranger.. Just saying. 😛
    The less popular 150 ecoboost is to replace the ranger..

trail_rat
    Free Member

i do like the 12 ranger there ….

i love the F 150 and 250 in the states – had an f150 hire truck – it was basic inside but it was still cool as ****

a mate had an older shape navara – it was fine and dandy

had the last 2 shape hilux`s in 2.5 D and 2.5DID in africa – the 2.5D was **** – the 2.5DID wasnt much better

as far as rediculous pick ups go – f350 with fox suspension on castor wheels out in california on a site…… its parked on a slight slope – he drove down and went to reverse back into that space and couldnt do it , just got spinny ! had to drive down turn about take a run up and reverse down the hill into the space – course alot of american pick ups are RWD only – our dodge 4000HD was , **** hate box

derekrides
    Free Member

knottinbotswana – Member

VW Amarok got good reviews, but people here don’t trust small displacement engines.

It’s kitted with low and hi range turbos, quite an efficient new engine, having said that it has stalled on a third gear take off which wouldn’t have happened with the Chevy with it’s 3.0ltr common rail.

Flip side, if it’s your main day to day and you’re on road more than off which I am (although I live down this unmade track at the edge of town next to a bike trail) then of all of them it drives most like a car, better than the Hilux imv.

I’ve towed a couple of boats around, nothing heavy, but it ate it up a trip from Southampton back here to Hythe towing at 80+ if I needed to.

So I really rate it.

Navara’s? They’re so nineties and mostly from Dale farm.

MrGrim

OP – I think you made the right choice.

I had a 57 plate Ranger Thunder double cab and spent a lot of time before buying looking at the other models. The L200 was thirsty, not comfortable and drove like a barge (for a pickup), the Hilux was too expensive and even more expensive when looking at similar interior and exterior specs matching the Thunder. The Rodeo was fugly and interior was uncomfortable. The Navara was good, but the Aventura was similar specd to the Thunder but a lot more expensive.

While I had the Ranger it only needed servicing, no faults over 20,000 miles and was decent off-road. I heard horror stories of clutch issues when towing, but never had any issues with mine.

I was test driving a black L200 Warrior at my local Mitsu dealer with spot lights on front of the bull bars and a spot light rack on the roof. It wouldn’t have looked out of place in Mad Max. There’s a load of rough ground the dealership uses for test drives out the back of the bays. I come hurtling round the track at 40mph to come face to face with a Micra with a young lady and her dad on her first driving lesson. Sh*t myself, but probably not as much as them. Narrow miss!

donsimon
    Free Member

That f350 looks absolutely ridiculous and would be a complete mare in any town. You probably can’t even see the kerbs and would be doing a whole lot of damage to the car knocking into or bouncing up and down them. Some people!

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve still got my 2004 Ranger. Clutch is still going and I used it to pull a 1.5 tonne trailer on a regular basis.

Touch wood no real problems – had to replace the leaf springs after about 4 years and the rear universal joint but otherwise just normal wear and tear items – front discs after 5 years, just replaced back section of exhaust and some rear brake pipes.

Sat in a rental navara now and to be honest my ranger is better almost across the board. Saying that its a.pre-facelift navara and my ranger is chipped to 170bhp/400nm. Can’t fault the ranger at all

spooky_b329

Doublecab Dropside would be my choice.

Up to seven seats and still loads of space in the bed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘What pickup – Ford Ranger or Isuzu Denver’ is closed to new replies.