Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)
  • What physical ailment has made you feel the most miserable?
  • deadslow

Currently maxed out on pain control for a dental abscess on both roots of a tooth in my bottom jaw. It feels like my bottom jaw wants to go pop! Dentist has prescribed two lots of antibiotics to try and get on top of it. I was fully prepared for its removal! The pain is very bad even on max over the counter drugs and I feel like crap. The only time I have felt worse is when I had proper flu and couldn’t move for 5 days. Should I MTFU or is this the worst pain a man can feel?

badllama
    Free Member

Had my knee go on me 2/3 the way through doing the Borrow Dale bash I was in complete agony, the knee cap just locked up and it felt like I had a knife run through my knee cap.

Ended up managed to move it enough to ride to the bottom of the trail then spent another 20 mins resting it.
    3 doctors visits and nearly 12 months of physio has got it working something like but still get the odd twinge 😕

wwaswas

This frozen shoulder.

6 months since I last lifted my elbow above shoulder height and not had more than 3 hours continuous sleep in all that time.

jam-bo

Viral labyrinthitis.

vickypea
    Free Member

Ouch, I hate toothache!
    My worst pain had to be a migraine (possibly a cluster headache) a couple of weeks ago when I had to go to A&E. Worst pain in my life, worse than giving birth to a baby the wrong way round, and worse than having surgery to my spine.

allthepies
    Free Member

Prolapsed disc, which I’ve had all summer and has written off my biking for the year. The pain was *bad*.

Drac

Flu. I spent 3 weeks in bed only thing I recall was the Mrs waking up to drink, take meds and feed what little I could eat. Then spent 3 or 4 months trying to get my strength back.

Worst pain in my life, worse than giving birth to a baby the wrong way round,

Before conception? How’s that work?

kudos100
    Free Member

Should I MTFU or is this the worst pain a man can feel?

MTFU princess 😆

ski
    Free Member

First day into a two week holiday with a very hot partner I managed to split open my member thanks to a bit of metal work being caught, the pain was nothing compared to the frustration I felt not being able to play for two weeks!

The hotel manage was also not impressed with me painting claret all over the bed, walls, floor, bathroom, TV and mini bar!

She (the hot partner, not the hotel manager) then went and dumped me the day we returned back!

I still cary the physical and mental scars from that trip.

badnewz
    Free Member

Baldness.
    The patella dislocation was more intense pain, but the aggregate pain of losing my hair has been far greater:-

wwaswas

Did she have a brace ski?

joat

Shingles, not the physical pain itself (I’m as tough as, mind, broken collarbone smarted a bit) but it just gets you down mentally. I believe it is sometimes treated with anti-depressants.

Bregante
    Harry_the_Spider

Bad knee for over a year. Can’t run or bend it and it aches. Not really a physical pain but a pain in the ass all the same.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Conciousness.

Northwind

In the short term, toothache’s terrible, just so invasive. I was more functional the day of surgery for my broken hip than I am with a bad toothache 😆

Longer term, diabetes and coeliac disease are both a pain in the arse but they don’t usually make me miserable. I genuinely did once break down in tears while standing in a bakery and smelling all the smells I couldn’t eat 😆 But my back does me in now, it’s not in any way debilitating, it’s just unpleasant, a lot of the time. I can deal with really bad things normally but I’m not so good with niggles. It’s like I need something bigger to fight against.

ski – Member

First day into a two week holiday with a very hot partner I managed to split open my member thanks to a bit of metal work being caught

Yeah, you want to be careful with those cheap fleshlight ripoffs.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

VD

Drac

Bad knee for over a year. Can’t run or bend it and it aches. Not really a physical pain but a pain in the ass all the same.

Is this you?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-wjJzqA_fc[/video]

midlifecrashes

I have great sympathy for anyone with a bad abcess. I have a thirty year old scar on the front of my chin from when I had a bad one under my front incisors blew up to the size of a golf ball and burst through my chin. I can vaguely remember being led out of the factory by the production manager, who had found me wandering in a stupor moaning and holding my face, and put in a taxi, but can’t recall anything of the next couple of days other than pain until it drained.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ive broken and dislocated my right patella twice, the pain was agonising to the point I feel physically sick typing this.
    However, it is this ongoing & so far undiagnosed (waiting for test results) pain in my thumbs/wrists/elbows & surrounding muscle tissue that’s really getting to me.
    Its not agonising by any means, its just constant & sleep disturbing, haven’t had a full nights sleep for months now & even riding my road bike hurts.
    Oh, that’s before I dislocated my right shoulder on holiday last month & for which I’m looking at corrective surgery.
    Not a happy dwarf right now.

matt_outandabout

Shingles.
    Dark room, skin pain when light was shone on me, in agony for a week. Knackered for a month. Not right for a season.

badnewz
    Free Member

Ive broken and dislocated my right patella twice, the pain was agonising to the point I feel physically sick typing this.

Ditto.

What I can’t understand is how people have actually straightened their own legs and put back (reduced) the dislocation!

I can only assume they are either the hardest bastards in history or there are smaller gradations of dislocation.

Sorry to hear about your other ailments MuddyDrawf. Just out of interest, what was more painful, the patella dislocation or the shoulder?

The shock of actually doing it the first time was harder to take than the pain (which was awful). The second time I did it, I knew the procedure and just counted the minutes until Mr Ambulence arrived with the oxygen.

Pigface
    Free Member

Kidney stones were miserable

Kuco

Shoulder injury thats never going to be right.

Currently a kidney problem. Had a scan Friday that showed nothing but why does it hurt 🙁

ski
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

Did she have a brace ski?

Sorry no brace, not even a stud!

To this day I am not sure what I caught it on, I was, well, drunk, not drunk enough to stop play, but enough to think it would be a good idea to wrap the spray can up with a bed sheet, then wander down to reception, unwrapping it in front of the poor receptionist to see if she thought I needed sectioning? 😉

The Spanish are very good when it comes to naked, drunk bleeding Brits.

theotherjonv

I can top it all. I stood on some of my daughter’s lego in bare feet. That’s what they need at Guantanamo, they’d be singing in no time.

Thankfully it was only very transient but I swore at such volume paint in the living room actually blistered.

Simon

Broken thumb.
    Not that painful but after surgery to plate and pin the bone back together they put my hand/wrist/forearm in a very heavy cast with all the weight at the top.
    Not being able to do any exercise that made me hot and sweaty for 3 months made me very, very miserable.

On the pain front a dis-located elbow was pretty bad after I tried and failed to re-locate it trail side 😐

hammyuk
    Free Member

I put the ex’s patella back on quite a few occasions – hypermobility is a bitch!

For me its the legacy of an RTA in 89 – living with a 6-8 pain level daily I’m ok with – its when it decides its going to mess with the rest of my nervous system thats the killer.
    disc bulges that stop legs working.
    Numbness in hands, constant skin nerve burning, feet without feeling so you are constantly relearning where the extremities are, bowels that shut down, etc.
    Relapses that put you on the floor without warning – the most recent giving me a concussion and 2 weeks in hospital waiting to see how much sensation is going to return this time.
    Then add new meds to the equation that cause as many issues as they solve.
    Oh – and if anyone says they headed towards a “bright light and it was so calming and wonderful….” what a crock of shit….

ebygomm
    Free Member

Ruptured ovarian cyst

kudos100
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRXnzhbhpHU[/video]

I feel bloody awful for anyone who gets cluster headaches on a regular basis.

When I had it I was bashing my head against the wall before the paramedics stopped me (Not joking)

A collarbone smashed to bits, herniated disc, dislocated shoulder, having 8 teeth pulled out (including 4 impacted wisdom teeth that had to be smashed out) all pale in comparison to the agony of this headache.

It feels as though a white hot drill bit is boring a hole into your brain.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Kidney stones. Deeply, deeply unpleasant. Straight on morphine as soon as I got to hospital and it felt like it made **** all difference.

As a blend of physical and emotional pain, the torn calf muscle 4 weeks before a VERY expensive month of snowboarding exams was pretty up there….

deadslow

Thanks for all your replies, still feel like someone twisting a screw into my jaw in slow motion. However it should be relatively short lived so will try to MTFU! Assisted by meds of course.

wilburt
    Free Member

Quinsey- the infection spread throughout my face, fever, couldnt swallow or speak. Occasionally I could squeeze my neck forcing the puss out through my gums and the cysts on my my tonsils..the relieve was bliss.

Stopped smoking after that.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Badnewz – for me the patella, wasn’t just the dislocation but the muscle tearing from my ankle to groin, plus the cap itself shattering like a cup dropped onto a hard floor.
    Shoulder is painful, but as its a recurrent injury it’s more ‘manageable’ I suppose.

Talking of hard bastards, a female friend of mine broke her knee skiing in France. She had missed the last lift of the day & was in the wrong valley, she hobbled back up the mountain & made her own way down into the correct valley… 😯

P-Jay
    Free Member

Injury – broke both arms in one sitting, twisted my left wrist till the bones over-lapped and snapped, about 3 seconds later landed on my right elbow, my funny bone came out the end of my arms and shattered, blood and bone everywhere – the hour I waited for the Ambo was excruciating, but on balance the 6 months of physio and surgeries before it would heal was worse.

Illness wise a week of flu followed by 2 of pneumonia sucks arse, I’m still not right a month later, it was like being 90 years old, everything aches and just exhausted all the time, a 10 min walk needed a 30 min sit-down to recover.

john_drummer
    Free Member

dental abscess +1
    shingles +1

the dislocated ankle & broken fibula wasn’t actually that painful at the time, but it still twinges now & again, 9 years on

tomkerton
    Free Member

Gout. Had a few attacks in big toe. Take-your-breath-away levels of pain. Now under control with lifestyle changes and awareness. Still live in fear of the next attack.

scaredypants

What I can’t understand is how people have actually straightened their own legs and put back (reduced) the dislocation!
    I can only assume they are either the hardest bastards in history or there are smaller gradations of dislocation

When I was 17, the left winger on out footy team hurt his knee. He was petty good and it was a semi-final, so he played on ’til half time (about 20 minutes). Came off then as he’d lost quite a lot of his pace.
    Turned out he’d halved his kneecap right down the middle 😯

(you’d have thought he was the least “hard bastard” you’ll ever meet)

mattstreet

Opthalmic shingles. Yep. In the friggin’ eye. It’s like having pencil shavings constantly pushed into your eye… by the sharpened pencil.

Misdiagnosed to start with, bit of glaucoma added in for good measure (…could have lost my sight) and absolutely miserable few weeks after that.

SaxonRider

Definitely the double prolapse I suffered about five years ago. Unbelievable pain. Enough that I did not sleep more than a few minutes at a time for a week. Thankfully, the conditioned worsened quickly enough (over two weeks) that it stopped me moving my legs and meant there was no wait to get treated. I was admitted to hospital, and they kept me in until they could get me MRI’d and given nerve blocks in the spine.

In any case, the front hallway to my house was too narrow for the ambulance stretcher, so the attendants had to give me laughing gas and coax me up and outside to the waiting vehicle.

I can remember screaming into my gas mask like a pathetic child as they forced my feet onto the ground and helped me stand. 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘What physical ailment has made you feel the most miserable?’ is closed to new replies.