Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 198 total)
  • What phrases do you hate?
  • project
    Free Member

“were all in this together”

usually spoken by some upper class prat, with a huge forehead,you just want to write “NO” on

SkillWill
    Free Member

“What you’ll find is…”

nealglover
    Free Member

so? i expect most of the phrases in this thread are too. it being correct or incorrect has no bearing on it’s emotional impact on my psyche.

Most of them are either Americanisms or just waffle.

But you are right, you are allowed to be annoyed by the correct use of the language if you want to.

Fill yer boots.

scuttler

Football pundit plural nonsense

“…your Rooneys, your Messis, your Drogbas”. There’s only one of em. AFAIK it only works for Nevilles and Charltons.

athgray
    Free Member

Nearly everything spoken by politicians, particularly
    “streamlining to obtain better efficiency”
    I wish they would just say “we are paying people off to save cash and give you a s**t service”.

Also hate it when people use “done” in a sentence instead of “did”.

marco
    Free Member

swap out
    my bad
    dial in
    scrumptious

nealglover
    Free Member

Oh…. Nearly forgot..

“Fill yer boots”

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

“Change tact”. Oh FFS! I’m going to buy a sledgehammer just for anyone that **** up their spelling / pronunciation so bad.

Philby

“Ripped” as in body-building
    +1 for “My Bad” and “Stoked”
    Also hate being called “fella” when the person knows your name.

dawson

‘hit up’ as in ‘we hit up some trails’ Arrgh!

martymac

‘should have’ being abbreviated to ‘should of’
    it shows a complete lack of understanding of basic english.
    GRRRRRR!!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Any conversation that has speech inclination to make it sound like a question by going slightly up a pitch or two towards the end.

That would make the entire population of Australia shut up. Not a bad thing really.

coffeeking
    Free Member

“slammed” or “slam it” or any sort of slamming mention when suggesting lowering something.

saleem
    Free Member

Chillaxing, WTF, how are you meant to relax when some twunt goes and says that.

RustySpanner

‘Horrorshow’ or even worse, ‘Horror show’, when used to describe something bad:
    Go away, get an adult to read A Clockwork Orange to you and then smack yourself repeatedly in the face with a flagging maul, you toad-walking, crab-licking reptillian excuse for a vertical pile of rancid dog excrement.

Northwind

Nobody who says “horror show” is referring to Clockwork Orange. It’s purely descriptive.

RustySpanner

We’ve done this before 😀

Find me a pre Clockwork Orange usage of the phrase and I’ll agree with you.

If not, yarbles to you. 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“hard working families”

“centre-left” “centre-right”

“modernise” when referring to ditching everything which has been achieved in modern times.

Northwind

Aye, I thought we had, can’t imagine there’s anyone else who can summon such ire on the subject 😆 The meaning’s completely the opposite, and that there’s a perfectly good alternative source for it, so I can’t see any reason why you’d think people using the term are trying to make a CO link. It’s just a coincidence.

Best known use of it- Rocky Horror Show. Name inspired by late night horror film showings, not by Burgess- the fact that it came after doesn’t make any difference.

And let’s be honest here- nobody’s read Clockwork Orange, practically nobody’s seen the film, and even those that have mostly don’t remember much of the language, and those that do mostly don’t care 😉

grtdkad

When ‘pacific’ is used in the place of ‘specific’

Northwind

9/10ths of all sentences with the word “literally” in it.

nealglover
    Free Member

Nobody who says “horror show” is referring to Clockwork Orange. It’s purely descriptive.

Find me a pre Clockwork Orange usage of the phrase and I’ll agree with you

If they are using it to describe something bad, then clearly they are not referring to Clockwork Orange, because they haven’t seen it or read it.

Logical ?

RustySpanner

And let’s be honest here- nobody’s read Clockwork Orange, practically nobody’s seen the film, and even those that have mostly don’t remember much of the language, and those that do mostly don’t care

Just me then?
    Excellent!

The book is one of my favourites 😐
    Didn’t think that much of the film though.

bwaarp
    Free Member

“Don’t worry, I’m a doctor”

“You couldn’t make it up”

“Hi I’m * anon*, do you know Jesus loves you”

harvell
    Free Member

shut up!!

zokes
    Free Member

Off of. Thank you Scott Mills. You need a severe slapping.

He needs a severe knee-capping

zzjabzz
    Free Member

“Inbox me” – Inbox is NOT a verb, ****!

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Chillaxing, WTF, how are you meant to relax when some twunt goes and says that.

See, I hate the use of “twunt” but don’t mind “Chillax”.
    I like new words generally but don’t like twee mixes of swear-words.

Takes all sorts! 🙂

joeegg
    Free Member

“How do you feel about losing £5 million quid on the last question”. Gutted ! Hear it all the time on quiz shows.You’re not a fish!.

dewydd
    Free Member

My immediate boss uses a number of phrases on a daily basis, so much so that they’re now a bit of a company joke.
    Favourites include the almost constant use of “you know what I mean” and “globally” with the odd “wind your neck in” and “you have to crack an egg to make an omelette”.
    Another occasional one is “he won’t know if he’s punched, bored or countersunk” Aaaaggghhh!!! winding me up just thinking about it 👿

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I see stoked has a couple of mentions on here – IMO its actually a fairly useful word as its not quite got an exact synonym. Its more than excited, its different to thrilled and sometimes it just fits the bill

toys19
    Free Member

I don’t have any problems with the words and phrases listed above, the word that should be banned from the english language is “inappropriate”. Never before in the history of our great lexicon has a word been used so inappropriatly than the word “inappropriate” has.

ononeorange

Three:

– For free
    – Back in the day
    – Like (in it’s endlessly abused and mis-used version).

ononeorange

Oh yes and Ernie Lynch’s “Hard-working families” one.

I feel a massive rant coming on.

tomhoward

When the term of affection ‘honey’ is abbreviated to ‘hun’, usually on social networking sites. Not sure the person you are referring to is part of the Mongol hoardes, or is named ‘Atilla’.

Don’t get me started on ‘Hunni’, ‘Hunnii’ or any other stupid spellings…

People who say ‘was’ when they mean ‘were’.

Aaaaand breathe….

philconsequence
    Free Member

stop following me
    get away from my window
    that’s not your underwear you perve
    excuse me sir can you come with us
    i’m arresting you for….

wombat

I hate consultantese.

I am a consultant and I hate it too.

I use plain language as it is more easily understood by the people who will read or hear it (unless I’m dealing with a group of consultants in which case I endeavour to extend their understanding of the situation going forward by ladleing it on with a trowel 😉

finbar
    Free Member

May we have acronyms? YMMV makes me want to take a 50-metre running punch at whoever comes out with it.

YOLO is heading this way as well.

Coyote
    Free Member

Football pundit plural nonsense

Not sure about the plurals but there has been a shift towards using the present tense when describing past events. For example:

“If he scores there it put’s a different…”

“If the referee sees that…”

“If the keeper reacts faster then the striker doesn’t score.”

I am not a grammatical expert so this may be perfectly acceptable but it really gets on my nerves.

Toasty

Getting bored of everything being “times of austerity”, a phrase which can get bolted onto the end of every sentence to make it sound more important.

Although not a phrase I get wound up with things being described as “bespoke” quite often, no idea why. I swapped my tyres, I ride a bespoke bike! Maybe if it was used more I’d get used to it.

Not sure the person you are referring to is part of the Mongol hoardes, or is named ‘Atilla’.

I don’t think Atilla the Honey conveyed as much fear 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 198 total)

The topic ‘What phrases do you hate?’ is closed to new replies.