Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What phones offer Wifi and GPS and are available on orange/unlocked?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

anyone know a definitive list?

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

I believe any phone bought at Carphone Warehouse is unbranded/unlocked.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

is that true?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    xc-steve
    Free Member

I strongly doubt it! That means all the Iphones are unlocked!

My HTC Touch Diamond has WIFI and GPS on paper its a good phone in reality its a mixed one! good when it works but is no Iphone! I’d suggest the Nokia N95 I’d have that if I didn’t need Microsoft Push email… and would have the Iphone if I didn’t wanna stay with Orange!

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

I got a Nokia N96 from there, and that is. I think it reduces how much stock they carry. Give em a call.

mangoridebike

nokia 5800 has wifi and gps – not sure if its available on Orange though

joemarshall
    Free Member

I believe any phone bought at Carphone Warehouse is unbranded/unlocked.

is that true?

No. Unless you buy a handset only deal rather than on a contract / pay as you go deal. Some networks don’t lock certain phones, but that’s just luck.

If you buy it on a network, they’d still have to re-flash it to have the network specific branding, which is pretty much exactly the same amount of hassle as locking it.

Nokia do a bunch of phones with these features – go to http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices and select ‘advanced features’ and click internet over wlan and GPS. They are very expensive if you are not on a contract though.

Joe

will
    Free Member

mangoridebike – Member
    nokia 5800 has wifi and gps – not sure if its available on Orange though

It is. I have it. Great phone 🙂

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

joemarshall

I got mine on contract, and it sure ain’t locked – I used my T-Mobile sim in it while contracts overlapped.

davey_clayton
    Free Member

I’m on orange, I have a nokia N82, symbian, decent phone (crap network from orange where I live though). Has wifi and GPS, and you can use Nokia Sports tracker which is decent, upload your rides, plots distance, elevation etc. Good camera with good flash too.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I got mine on contract, and it sure ain’t locked – I used my T-Mobile sim in it while contracts overlapped.

Yeah, it’s just luck though, some operators / shops sell some phones unlocked. I’ve had 4 phones over the last few years of which 2 were locked, 1 was unlocked, and 1 was bought sim free unlocked.

Joe

Flaperon

Touch Diamond, available on Orange but can be very easily unlocked (max £20 for the process over the net). I’d suggest hanging on just another month or two, though, since the Touch Diamond 2 is due out any moment now and is a great improvement on the original.

terrahawk
    Free Member

my new HTC Touch HD is bonza!

bigyinn
    Free Member

SE C905 from Carphone on O2, not locked. Has Wifi + GPS + Good Camera (8MP). In fact any SE handset from Carphone i’ve had hasn’t been locked.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Nokia 5800! Shockingly good handset.

Had mine for 6 weeks now.

A gadget that works!

How good it is depends on what you want it for.

I like the viewranger application you can buy for it – OS mapping on your mobile. Check out viewranger’s website.

Tomtom isn’t supported yet.

It has top quality sound, great music player, awesome battery life, great screen, unexpectedly powerful built in stereo speakers and can download and replay programmes from BBC’s iPlayer. Web browsing is average though and it is a bit thick and chunky, but not like the old n-series phones

Good for phone calls too!

dave_aber
    Free Member

E71. Another shockingly good Nokia.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What phones offer Wifi and GPS and are available on orange/unlocked?’ is closed to new replies.