Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What phone recommendations
  • stevemtb
    Free Member

I’ve currently got an iPhone 3G and it’s time to upgrade. Actually it has been time to upgrade for a while now but I’ve been waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out.

As it sounds like the 5 will probably be some sort of a 4S with minor changes I’m not so sure I want to wait or it will be worth it.

What else comes recommended? It will be a smart phone as I love the functionality of them. Only one that has really caught my eye is the Experia(sp?) Play, I like the games on the iPhone but it’s usually the simple ones I play. Sure I’d use it at the start but the novelty may wear off quickly?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

lowey

Either Samsung Galaxy S2 or the HTC Sensation are the current market leaders.

I’ve got the Galaxy S2 and am VERY impressed with it.

GrahamS

As it sounds like the 5 will probably be some sort of a 4S with minor changes I’m not so sure I want to wait or it will be worth it.

Not what I’ve heard.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/21/apple-iphone-5-to-be-major-update-after-all-announcement-and-availability-in-august/

stevemtb
    Free Member

Hmm, that seems to be the first report I’ve seen saying it’s not just going to be an updated processor and camera. Might be that I’ll just hold on until the rumours firm up a bit…

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ll be looking to get a Galaxy S2 when I land in UK. Impressive little phone.
    [hijack]Where will I get the best deals for a phone call/good internet contract?[/hijack]

Cougar

If you like the iPhone, I’d suggest either getting an iPhone 4 or moving to a SIM+data tariff and waiting. From your usage I’d question whether you really want to spunk £400 on a new phone that’ll do pretty much what your current one will do except nominally smoother.

The iPhone 4’s successor won’t be anything other than wild conjecture until the phone’s actually released. The only thing I can tell you for certain is that it’ll cost the GDP of a small African nation to buy one when it comes out. The week after release will be a fantastic time to buy an iPhone 4.

If you don’t like the iPhone, or are ambivalent towards it, then the main competitor really is Android.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I’d wait for the IP5 and HTC to come out with new products in Sept.

See if you can get a good contract etc.

CountZero

Thing you have to consider is, how much do you have invested in the iOS ecosystem? If you’ve got three or four pages of apps, or a bunch of folders filled with apps, then moving to another platform is going to be a waste of money, and would be daft in my opinion. If you’ve still only got the original home screen apps with a few games added then you’ve lost nothing. You have to also consider that Android does have issues with significant amounts of malware in the marketplace. I would seriously suggest you follow one of the suggestions above; get a Simplicity SIM for a while and wait to see what the spec for the new phone’s going to be. Almost certainly there will be the A5 processor from the iPad 2, with Sony’s top-end 8Mp camera, apart from that it seems unlikely there will be a significant format change. I’d hope for double the storage now and bumping up the RAM, so a 64Gb phone is a possible. If that’s not appealing, then the current phone will almost certainly become the default entry model like the 3Gs is now, so you could pick one up a lot cheaper. The iPhone 4 is really a stunning design, and if you get a cheaper one new I really don’t think you’d be disappointed with it, and all your existing apps will continue to work. Also, don’t forget that there’s a huge range of accessories available that you just can’t get for Android phones.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Hmm, intersting advice there.

Got a lot of apps but they do tend to be the free ones. Nothing on there that I’ve paid for that I’d miss much.

Definitely like the iPhone and right enough do have a few accessories for it that I’d have to replace with a different one. Will have a look at the SIM only contracts as I presume they will be cheaper than I pay now?

Probably just looking for the sake of looking but the 3G is running a bit slow now and not nice and new!! 😆

jamiep
    Free Member

[hijack]Where will I get the best deals for a phone call/good internet contract?[/hijack]

hotukdeals.com is a good source. depends if you want a 1 or 2 year contract for what you consider a good deal.

Ive just gone for this S2 one:
    £25.45/month, 2yr contract, 3GB data, 600mins, T-mobile

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What phone recommendations’ is closed to new replies.