Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • What period(s) in history would you choose?
  • noteeth
    Free Member

As an ex/sometime archaeologist, the Mesolithic – but only if I can have access to mountain bikes, antibiotics and a well-stocked library.

Dancake
    Free Member

edit.

Dunno

tazzymtb

victorian england to go and meet the whores of white chapel, look at the loons in bedlam, see the patented steam powered phallus that was displayed in the great exhibition, meet the 4 great Stephensons and see the ideas of Darwin replace the theories of Kant, Linneaus and Malthus

also nice to see etiquette, as manners maketh the man.

grantway
    Free Member

Tudor/ Edwardian

h4muf
    Free Member

Is it bad to go back here?

g.Series2.spitfireXII by h4muf, on Flickr

SaxonRider

Come on, Late Antique-ists/Early Medievalists!

If MattieH can sell his book, I want to sell mine too.

So where are you all? Someone has to have liked it when Germanic tribes were coming to dominate Europe, the calendar as we know it was taking shape, and swords had names!

tazzymtb

Germanic tribes were coming to dominate Europe, the calendar as we know it was taking shape, and swords had names!

nah far more fun with steam/smogs/whores/dirty urchins in street gangs….much like Rotherham still is today

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d like to go back say, a couple of hundred years, and take my bike. Just imagine the trails! All those great mountain roads would be rocky tracks 🙂

I’d head for that big downhill on the A470 heading into Dinas Mawdwy. What a cracking descent that would make.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

@SaxonRider you want to be talking to my old flatmate – very early medievalist. He’d be mad for that stuff.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I reckon Roman times could be pretty cool. Orgies and such like.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The time when the Anglish and Saxon/Jutish tribes were settling the Eastern Shore of Britain, and the Franks were invading Gaul would be an interesting time to see – if only to disprove the claims of St Gildas that the Saxons et.al. had no art, no culture & no worth…

mogrim

So where are you all? Someone has to have liked it when Germanic tribes were coming to dominate Europe, the calendar as we know it was taking shape, and swords had names!

God yeah, when you have Clovis &co. destroying (and arguably rebuilding) what was left of the western Roman empire? Definitely, “dark ages” for me 🙂

RustySpanner

Dealey Plaza, Texas, 1963.
    With a damn good video camera.

Maybe Nazareth, couple of thousand years ago.
    Just to see what, if anything was occuring.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘What period(s) in history would you choose?’ is closed to new replies.