Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What pedals for road touring?
  • dufresneorama
    Free Member

What pedals do people use for touring? I’ll be doing LEJOG later this year and don’t really want to go the spd route, but flats are prob not ideal either?
    cages? straps? powergrips?

Bez

Time Atac here, done me proud for up to 120 miles a day with Specialized Sonomas which are good touring shoes as they’re not too gimpy. Just as good as road pedals unless you’re racing, IMO.

Anything involving cages, straps etc is horrible IMO. Worst of all worlds. Why the objection to cleats? I wouldn’t ride any distance on tarmac without them.

speaker2animals

As discussed in another forum today – SPDs. You can get a single sided version with a platform that offers more support, PD A520 http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/road/product.-code-PD-A520.-type-pd_road.html

or XTR trail, double sided with platform PD M985

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/mountain/new_xtr/component_systems/trail.html#pedals/0001/PD-M985

Using SPDs is good for touring as the shoes will be better for walking in with the cleats recessed into the sole.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Shimano A530 pedals are the best of both worlds. I’ve got a pair and really like them.

There’s a cheap pair on ebay just now.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-A530-Pedals-SPD-Road-Touring-Hybrid-cleats-/170594996950?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item27b84112d6

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I did 300 miles round Devon and Cornwall towing a trailer full of camping gear last year, in either trainers or sandals on Wellgo V8 copies.

Planning on doing the W to W coast to coast this year on the same.

Suits me fine, just plodding along. 🙂

midlifecrashes

I put some Shimano A530 pedals on the roadie last year, SPDs one side, flat the other. When going out on a proper ride I’m usually in SPD mtb shoes and they are great. For popping down the shops in everyday shoes they’re fine too on the flat side, and this comes in handy for those stop start bits round town and crowds where spds are a hassle, you can pedal away from lights without fear of slipping a spd and clip in once up to speed. Not too heavy either.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Some form of off rod type spd with shoes that are not too bad for walking

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any spd or one with a cage on the other side.

colande
    Free Member

what wrong with spd’s???

using mountain bike spd shoes is good because you can walk in them no problem,
    I used my usual pair of m520s pedals and dhb m1 mountain bike shoes for touring 1500miles, and had no problems. a good fitting pair of shoes is probably more important for comfort.

i think everyone will have different experiences.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

My only experience is with Road shoes/pedals. I didn’t realize you can walk quite normally using spd’s.
    hmmm…new shoes and new pedals… can’t be a bad thing!

druidh
    Free Member

I was using Shimano A520s but opted for the Crank Brothers Candys which have been excellent. My tourer is also my commuter and I find that having more than one “point of entry” is better in town/traffic.

aracer
    Free Member

Have done lots of touring with SPDs and stiff soled MTB shoes – they work great. On longer tours I do tend to take a light pair of sandals of flip flops though as something else to wander round in.

martymac

for touring, my advice would be make sure whatever you choose is comfortable before you go.
    you dont want to find out a component is crap/weak/uncomfortable halfway to inverness.
    those 1 sided spd ones look pretty good like.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

spds for me – cos tahts what is on all my bikes bar one

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Think I’ll opt for the double sided A520’s. I’m going to be doing lots of commuting and long weekends away before the end to end to make sure I’m happy with every aspect of the bike/my kit.

druidh – you’re not looking to shift those A520’s are you?

druidh
    Free Member

dufresneorama – I should still have them in the garage. If so, I’ll send you them to try before you think about parting with cash.

PS – the A520s are single-sided.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

druidh, that would be very much appreciated. If you find them, drop me an email, it’s in my profile.

cheers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What pedals for road touring?’ is closed to new replies.